Versions of the Zebralight SC5

jak

Enlightened
There seem to be a lot of versions of this light coming out, so much so that it seems like it could be it's own thread. Here's the current list:

Smooth
  • SC5
  • SC5w
Orange Peel
  • SC5 OP
  • SC5w OP
Frosted
  • SC5F
  • SC5Fw
  • SC5Fd
  • SC5Fc

As of today, it looks as though they've added an OP (orange peel) edition to the mix. I wonder how much of a difference that makes compared to smooth reflector.

I'm still holding out for the frosted UV version... with orange peel... Version 2 - SC5Fuv OP Mk II

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
While I lean towards floody lights, the standard SC5w was perfect IMO. Frosted seems like it would be too much, but I can't say for sure without seeing one. OP could be interesting!!

H600Fc/d III now too!

saypat

Enlightened
I was going to order the SC5W. I have an H302W though, that puts out 446 lumens. Yea, mine is 120 degree flood but these 2 lights might be too much the same? Thoughts? Still I am burning to purchase one. I guess I could justify it by it not being a headlamp :twothumbs

markr6

Flashaholic
Maybe my SC5w bad sample (purple dot in center of beam) was a blessing in disguise!

This SC5w OP could be perfect. I may try one. I guess I'm not over buying more ZL just yet!

markr6

Flashaholic
It would probably hurt their sales so I can see why they don't do it...but with all these options it sure would be nice to be able to make these lights modular. If the bezel was threaded you could swap the reflectors, lenses, and maybe even the LED if they really wanted to redesign the build. That way you could just buy a frosted lens, OP reflector, etc. separately for cheap and have 2, 3 or 5 lights in one!

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would probably hurt their sales so I can see why they don't do it...but with all these options it sure would be nice to be able to make these lights modular. If the bezel was threaded you could swap the reflectors, lenses, and maybe even the LED if they really wanted to redesign the build. That way you could just buy a frosted lens, OP reflector, etc. separately for cheap and have 2, 3 or 5 lights in one!

If most folks are, like me, who can't stand an orphaned head, dropin, host, body, etc., they just might end up buying all the other parts to make complete lights. That will be good for business. :)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of today, it looks as though they've added an OP (orange peel) edition to the mix. I wonder how much of a difference that makes compared to smooth reflector.

Bummer. I'm still waiting for my SC5w to arrive. I think they must ship those things in a bottle thrown into the ocean from China, it's taking so long!

If I had known they would make one with OP, I would have held off and ordered one of those instead. I'm not a fan of smooth reflectors, due to the imperfect beam pattern.

If you compare the throw ratings of the SC5 vs the SC52, done by Selfbuilt, and correct for differences in output, it looks like a smooth reflector adds 17% more lux than an orange peel. That's about 8% more throw.

For only 8% further throw with a smooth reflector, I'd rather have the perfect beam of an OP.

uofaengr

Enlightened
I was wondering this today as well when looking at their spreadsheet. Would it be more economical to make the lights modular, specifically talking about the frosted versions, (don't understand why anyone would buy one when there's scotch tape) rather than produce ALL of these different versions? Apparently it is else they wouldn't do it. I don't see many people buying multiple variations of the same light unless they're a hardcore ZL collector or something. Options are never a bad thing though.

markr6

Flashaholic
Post #6 above :)

I was wondering this today as well when looking at their spreadsheet. Would it be more economical to make the lights modular, specifically talking about the frosted versions, (don't understand why anyone would buy one when there's scotch tape) rather than produce ALL of these different versions? Apparently it is else they wouldn't do it. I don't see many people buying multiple variations of the same light unless they're a hardcore ZL collector or something. Options are never a bad thing though.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

That would require a major redesign of their lights, and to keep things watertight and shock-protected, it would be more expensive. Besides, how many people buy 1 light and a few spare parts to swap? I'd rather spend the same amount of money and just buy 2 lights.

markr6

Flashaholic
That would require a major redesign of their lights, and to keep things watertight and shock-protected, it would be more expensive. Besides, how many people buy 1 light and a few spare parts to swap? I'd rather spend the same amount of money and just buy 2 lights.

I doubt a plastic reflector and small lens would cost the "same amount". But yes, it would be a redesign. It was just a though basically explaining my wish from the beginning. But we years into it now and of course they won't do this.

I think it would be cool to buy a SC5 for $69. Then a frosted lens for $5, OP reflector for $5, giving you several options. Personally, I wouldn't want to keep swapping stuff back and forth, but would add some versatility for those who do switch between flood/throw/tints.

But yes...in the end, I would just buy two lights! Switching the module in my T25C2...what a pain!

28gauge

Newly Enlightened
I have an SC52. It seems to me that at (about) the same lumens output settings (in the specs and Selfbuilt's charts) , the SC5's runtimes are about the same as the SC 52. Selfbuilt's review is saying the SC 5 has almost double the runtimes; what am I missing? With the exception of the higher output on high, where does the SC 5 really better the SC 52?

jak

Enlightened
With the exception of the higher output on high, where does the SC 5 really better the SC 52?
The fact that the SC5 does not require a li-ion battery to achieve its performance numbers is a key point.
(Also, the SC5 has more tint/reflector/lens options/combinations.)