Need help/advice for getting a few 'tactical' LED lights

modernprimitive

Newly Enlightened
i'm very limited in my knowledge of the led flashlight market. my first led lights are some old school maglites that i converted to led years ago. besides that i've purchased a number of streamlight stylus, as well as a couple of their protac 2aaa for work, . i then came across some tasco "tactical" lights that contain cree leds, and they were really inexpensive, so i gave them a try. surprisingly work great, especially for their price point. after that i came across some not so stellar lights. i think i ended up with a cheaper knock off, of an already cheap knock off. it claims to be an ultra fire with a cree xml in it, but when i looked it up on this forum, mine looks nothing like any ultrafire i can find. i finally found one that looks just like it on a popular mail order website, and they list it as a windfire. it looks just like the one i've got, except mine has the ultrafire and cree logos on it.

first off, i now have no clue as to what i've got here, and if it's worth messing with or not.

second, i need to find some options for a new light or three. i will be going on an overnight "expedition" so to speak of several different abandoned buildings. they are supposedly haunted, and the owners have invited a group of people that i know to come investigate. i'm being drug along because of my background with the occult and the supernatural. some of these places do not have power, and are dark and creepy at night, so i need good reliable flashlights. i've been extremely happy with my protac 2aaa, so i contemplated purchasing a 2aa as a pocket light. or possibly a protac hl, but the hl seems to eat through batteries fairly quickly from what i've read. i love my maglites for their durability/reliability, but they are bulky and i don't expect they will do me much good to swing them at a ghost.

i'm looking for something tactical in appearance and durability. i think 2 should be fine for right now. something close to the protacs for lumens and plentiful batteries. then maybe something in the 500 to 1000 lumen range, in a rechargeable model. i've already looked through a few options, but i'm not sure of the quality, and i don't really want to waste money on more junk.

any and all suggestions welcome. i'll even accept constructive criticism.

thank you in advance.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
second, i need to find some options for a new light or three. i will be going on an overnight "expedition" so to speak of several different abandoned buildings. they are supposedly haunted, and the owners have invited a group of people that i know to come investigate. i'm being drug along because of my background with the occult and the supernatural. some of these places do not have power, and are dark and creepy at night, so i need good reliable flashlights. i've been extremely happy with my protac 2aaa, so i contemplated purchasing a 2aa as a pocket light. or possibly a protac hl, but the hl seems to eat through batteries fairly quickly from what i've read. i love my maglites for their durability/reliability, but they are bulky and i don't expect they will do me much good to swing them at a ghost.

i'm looking for something tactical in appearance and durability. i think 2 should be fine for right now. something close to the protacs for lumens and plentiful batteries. then maybe something in the 500 to 1000 lumen range, in a rechargeable model. i've already looked through a few options, but i'm not sure of the quality, and i don't really want to waste money on more junk.

any and all suggestions welcome. i'll even accept constructive criticism.

thank you in advance.

Ghosts don't like light. Light chases spooky away. Nothing says safety like a pack of powerful handheld flood lights, held by a group of friends/acquaintances.

Take along a handheld flood light like the Nitecore TM16. But I must warn you, nothing creepy will creep on you while carrying and using a TM16 when in "Turbo" mode.

Disclosure: I'm currently a Nitecore fanboy. I'm easily spooked in the dark so I'm a three light kinda guy; a 1000lm headlamp, a handheld flooder and an every day carry (EDC) pocket light, like the Nitecore EC4 for backup. I prefer leaving home using freshly charged batteries and a full set of backup batteries to go. Hope the above helps and good hunting.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you would like to find a decent budget flashlight. If you want a rechargeable Li-ion model that outputs between 500 and 1000 lumens, take a look at the Convoy or Convoy/Roche models that you can get at Illumn or Mountain Electronics. Both are respected vendors that can also sell you good quality 18650 batteries and chargers. Xtar and Nitecore chargers are well regarded. I own the Nitecore D4. I do not own any Convoy lights.

Convoy uses PWM, but reportedly at a high enough frequency that no flicker is perceptible. The other knock on Convoy is that many models have trouble fitting a protected battery. Illumn, however, says they can help you select one that will handle a protected battery. I expect that Mountain Electronics would be willing to make the same effort.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is it with this site? I just typed out a few paragraphs and it wouldnt let me post. So Ill keep it short. You want lights with run times and as much as you can get and on the cheap as well.

1.new 3rd Gen Mag 3 D cell
2.Coast HP550-yes I know it takes 9 AAs
3.Thrunite TN12 2014

Burgess

Flashaholic
Here's an idea . . . . .

Invite a CPF member to come along !

Seriously !

:cool:

Looking forward to hearing your Results.

Good Luck.

Oh, and Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:
_

modernprimitive

Newly Enlightened
Ghosts don't like light. Light chases spooky away. Nothing says safety like a pack of powerful handheld flood lights, held by a group of friends/acquaintances.

Take along a handheld flood light like the Nitecore TM16. But I must warn you, nothing creepy will creep on you while carrying and using a TM16 when in "Turbo" mode.

Disclosure: I'm currently a Nitecore fanboy. I'm easily spooked in the dark so I'm a three light kinda guy; a 1000lm headlamp, a handheld flooder and an every day carry (EDC) pocket light, like the Nitecore EC4 for backup. I prefer leaving home using freshly charged batteries and a full set of backup batteries to go. Hope the above helps and good hunting.

thanks. i don't spook easy, and i spend a considerable amount of time in the dark. no disrespect to any ghost hunter members here, but i'm not really a ghost hunter kinda guy. i'm merely going along as a consultant of sorts. i've found that quite a few ghost hunters tend to get way too excited over nothing. if i can't see it, hear it, touch it, or have it throw something at me, then i'm not impressed. but they are a good group of people, and they requested my help, so i'm going to go. i figured that it gave me a good excuse to upgrade some of my gear.

thanks for your input. i'll take a look at those.

modernprimitive

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you would like to find a decent budget flashlight. If you want a rechargeable Li-ion model that outputs between 500 and 1000 lumens, take a look at the Convoy or Convoy/Roche models that you can get at Illumn or Mountain Electronics. Both are respected vendors that can also sell you good quality 18650 batteries and chargers. Xtar and Nitecore chargers are well regarded. I own the Nitecore D4. I do not own any Convoy lights.

Convoy uses PWM, but reportedly at a high enough frequency that no flicker is perceptible. The other knock on Convoy is that many models have trouble fitting a protected battery. Illumn, however, says they can help you select one that will handle a protected battery. I expect that Mountain Electronics would be willing to make the same effort.

thank you. i'll check them out. i'm not looking to break the bank for a light right now. i've looked at the supernova guardian 1300tl, the fenix pd35, and the eagletac g25c2 mkII, as far as rechargeables go.

modernprimitive

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the forum.

It would be helpful for you to complete the flashlight recommendation checklist found here.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hlight-Recommendation-Checklist-Updated-MK-II

I have yet to find a double AA light that will comfortably fit into a front jeans pocket.

ok. i'll go through the checklist. i love my protac 2aaa as a pocket light, but wasn't sure if the 2aa would work, or if possibly the nitecore mt2a would work as a pocket light. thanks for your input.

modernprimitive

Newly Enlightened
what is it with this site? I just typed out a few paragraphs and it wouldnt let me post. So Ill keep it short. You want lights with run times and as much as you can get and on the cheap as well.

1.new 3rd Gen Mag 3 D cell
2.Coast HP550-yes I know it takes 9 AAs
3.Thrunite TN12 2014

ok, thank. i'm not familiar with the last two, so i'll have to check them out. but what's the difference between a 3rd gen mag, and my old ones with the led conversion?? i'm assuming maybe some upgrades??

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ThruNite Archer 2A V2 NW is a 2x AA flashlight that I have been considering for purchase. My plan would be to run it on Eneloop NiMH rechargeable batteries. Of course, it also takes alkalines. ThruNite makes flashlights that are a cut above the low-budget models you see on Ebay and Amazon. The Archer 2A V2 NW is currently listed at $32.95 USD. You can read a review by CPF member selfbuilt here.

I recently purchased an L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B that runs 1x AA. At $34.99 USD, it is one of the lowest priced lights you can get with a Nichia 219B emitter. The USA vendor for L3 Illumination, SBFlashlights, has a coupon code for CPF members that is good for a 5% discount. I've got this very nice light running on an Eneloop.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd Gen are the new big D cell mags. 2 D is 525 lumens and the 3 D is 625. A HUGE jump for Mag. I own them both put glare coated glass lenses in them etc. They have a TON of run time and in my experience with them they dont get hot either. Both have excellent range. Your old ones with the LED conversions? Sounds like your talking about the 200ish lumen drop ins. Ive got those as well those are XP-G LEDs from what I remember. They dont have the output of the XM-L2 in the new 3rd Gens.

Coast has been around awhile. Most of their stuff is cheap low lumen but well made. Their big lights and I mean BIG lights like the new HP17 and HP550 do the variable focus thing far superior to any Mag Ive seen. Also have both those big Coasts and they are phenomenal. Both are cheap for what they do. The HP550 takes 9AAs the HP17 takes 3Ds.

Thrunite is a newer company that puts out high quality high output lights for half the price of the competition. I recommend the TN12 2014 in NW for excellent color rendition. This would be your small 1000 lumen WTF was that light lol. Ive done my share of Urbexing myself what you are about to do sounds like its going to be fun especially since you have permission.

modernprimitive

Newly Enlightened
==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

_x___I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
_x___Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
_x___I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
__x__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
_x___I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

__x__I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
_x___I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
_x___I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
_x___I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
__x__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__x__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
__x__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
_x___Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
_x___Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__x__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_x___Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__x__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_x___30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_x___90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
__x__3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
_x___Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
_x___Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
_x___I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
_x___IPX4 (Splash resistant)
__x__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
__x__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
__x__Emergency kit (long standby periods)
__x__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

modernprimitive

Newly Enlightened
The ThruNite Archer 2A V2 NW is a 2x AA flashlight that I have been considering for purchase. My plan would be to run it on Eneloop NiMH rechargeable batteries. Of course, it also takes alkalines. ThruNite makes flashlights that are a cut above the low-budget models you see on Ebay and Amazon. The Archer 2A V2 NW is currently listed at $32.95 USD. You can read a review by CPF member selfbuilt here.

I recently purchased an L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B that runs 1x AA. At $34.99 USD, it is one of the lowest priced lights you can get with a Nichia 219B emitter. The USA vendor for L3 Illumination, SBFlashlights, has a coupon code for CPF members that is good for a 5% discount. I've got this very nice light running on an Eneloop.

thanks. i'll check these out too.

modernprimitive

Newly Enlightened
3rd Gen are the new big D cell mags. 2 D is 525 lumens and the 3 D is 625. A HUGE jump for Mag. I own them both put glare coated glass lenses in them etc. They have a TON of run time and in my experience with them they dont get hot either. Both have excellent range. Your old ones with the LED conversions? Sounds like your talking about the 200ish lumen drop ins. Ive got those as well those are XP-G LEDs from what I remember. They dont have the output of the XM-L2 in the new 3rd Gens.

Coast has been around awhile. Most of their stuff is cheap low lumen but well made. Their big lights and I mean BIG lights like the new HP17 and HP550 do the variable focus thing far superior to any Mag Ive seen. Also have both those big Coasts and they are phenomenal. Both are cheap for what they do. The HP550 takes 9AAs the HP17 takes 3Ds.

Thrunite is a newer company that puts out high quality high output lights for half the price of the competition. I recommend the TN12 2014 in NW for excellent color rendition. This would be your small 1000 lumen WTF was that light lol. Ive done my share of Urbexing myself what you are about to do sounds like its going to be fun especially since you have permission.

ok. so on the maglites, it's that the led itself is different/better? because that would definitely be worth it to have around, since i know that mags can take one hell of a beating. my oldest mag is at least 25 years old, looks beat to hell, and still works every time. i worked armed security for a while, so they were great for patrolling, as well as self defense. but outside of that, i'm not a big fan of toting around a large heavy flashlight. i much prefer to have a small 2aaa or 2aa light for my off hand, so i can use it while holding a pistol while having to clear abandoned buildings. something in the 4" to 8" range would be great. preferably one small 2aa or 2aaa light for in my front pocket, and a larger tactical light for on the belt, back pocket, or vest storage. if i'm going searching, or clearing, then i want no less than two lights on me. an adjustable beam on the up to 8" one would be nice with a good balance of flood and throw. i have big flood lamps for camping and wide open spaces, so i don't need anything like that. but if i can find something with good flood and throw combined, in an 8" or less package, then that would be great.

modernprimitive

Newly Enlightened
i filled out the check list, so hopefully that helps you guys help me. i appreciate all of your time and input. i don't mind putting out up to around $100 for a good light, but i don't want to buy another light that is supposed to be from a tactical company, just to find out it's a cheap knockoff of a not so tactical light to begin with.

any thoughts on the supernova guardian1300tl?

The Fenix PD35?

The EagleTac G25C2 MK II?

the nitecore mt2a?

i'll search for reviews on this forum, but figured i'd ask if there were any really strong opinions either way.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, in my opinion, I think you're putting too much effort into this sleuthing endeavor. I'm going go out on a limb here and recommend a Nitecore HC90 with two batteries. One battery to use and one battery as a backup battery. You'll have hands-free versatility with plenty of light to explore hard to get to places.

A pair of high output, high drain batteries is a good choice as this will give you max output and longer run time vs stated manufacture run times. I'm using Orbtronic batteries but these batteries are a few dollars less expensive and will do what you need.

Disclosure; I'm a Nitecore fanboy.

I recently ordered from Amazon, a Nitecore HC90 and a pair of Orbtronic, 3400mAh 18650 batteries. The delivered price for everything was $120.00 (USD) and I should take possession of this marvelous combination on Tuesday.

I'm very pleased with our copies of the EC4 and the TM16. For a handheld light with a 1000lm OTF capability, for size, flood, throw, UI, features and price, the EC4 will fit your back pocket nicely. The EC4, with batteries and charger, at $98.95, fits your stated budget needs of ~$100.00 nicely.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
any thoughts on the supernova guardian1300tl?

The Fenix PD35?

The EagleTac G25C2 MK II?

the nitecore mt2a?

I've never heard of a Supernova Guardian.....which isn't a positive attribute.

The EagleTac light is more of an compact outdoor thrower, and wouldn't be a good choice for indoor use.

The PD35 has a more general purpose beam pattern that would be more appropriate, yet still not really ideal.

I've got more than a few ultra floody lights, but they're at most high/low outputs, and over your budget.
I was originally thinking about the Zebralight SC600W, but it has a side switch, and isn't "tactical".

Last edited: