Issue with Surefire LX2 Head

revance

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed this on the head of my SF LX2 head a few days ago. Inside the seam where the two portions of the head are permanently attached (not where the head attaches to the body), there appears to be shriveled up plastic of some sort. The head has never been or attempted to be disassembled,.

I called Surefire and asked them about it because I was concerned about its water resistance being compromised. They asked me to email them pictures, but I haven't heard back from them yet after doing so.

I searched around online to find pictures of disassembled LX2 heads to try to identify what it is and how this area is waterproofed, but I couldn't find any. Does anyone here have any ideas what the issue is with this? What should I expect Surefire to do? On one hand, if it doesn't interfere with its operation, it seems silly to want it replaced. On the other, it is (or was) a $200 flashlight and shouldn't look like it is falling apart.

Thanks!

IMG_20150728_135557_zpsvfunctlq.jpg

Kestrel

Flashaholic
That does look odd. Although I'm not very familiar with the LX2's, I have a lot of experience with the other popular L-series lights (L1's & L2's)
There are a few o-ring grooves that are somewhat 'hidden' when the light is assembled, I would be surprised if the visible edge of what you're seeing is the actual waterproof seal feature ?

Try unscrewing that interface - if you can't, there's probably a gallon of black or red Loctite holding things together. :rolleyes:
If so, I doubt water could get through there, JMHO though.

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. That's new to me. I've had many LX2'S and none of them have done that. Yes I would be concerned of water intrusion also. Hope they get back to you with a rma number and get it fixed.