XHP-35 spot light

patrolgr88

Newly Enlightened
Dear all,
i want to improve my 4x4 led head lamp, in particular i want to add spot beam. I was thinking of using the new Cree xhp-35, but I do not know which optic use. I saw the Ledil crystal offers a very narrow beam and can be used with LED XP-G2 (that produce much lower lumens than xhp35) that have the same package of the xhp-35, do you think this is compatible optical with xhp-35?
Otherwise which lenses do you recommend?
Thank you!:popcorn:

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Should be fine,
it always depends on the hight diferrence.
For exemple my Xhp70 fits perfectly in a MK-R optic!

The alternative you have is a spot optic for the xpg, there the xhp-35 will fit in and the height won`t mather!

patrolgr88

Newly Enlightened
Re: led narrow spot light

Thank you!
The alternative is to change only the optics, I now have 2 COB for each spotlight with optic Ledil mirella S, but the beam it produces is not very narrow (22°). I have not found a 50mm optical with beam narrower. One idea would be to use fresnel lens. Do you think it could work a fresnel lens with LED cxa1816 and produce a narrow beam?

thank you very much

Hi,
Should be fine,
it always depends on the hight diferrence.
For exemple my Xhp70 fits perfectly in a MK-R optic!

The alternative you have is a spot optic for the xpg, there the xhp-35 will fit in and the height won`t mather!

patrolgr88

Newly Enlightened

I have order two XHP35-HD, and two khatod PL1672UN, i hop to obtain high power narrow beam.
In your opinion how much i can overdrive XHP-35?
on the spotlight i have temperature sensor to avoid overhating

Thank you!

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened

The optic looks realy good!!
When using the dedomed Xhp35 there will be no problem with height while using xpg optics. (no dome, so a lot less high)

About the overdriving, it depends on the use you are planing.
I am not a big overdrive fan because it reduces the LEDs usable lifetime, the eficiency will drop substancial after a certain point.
After a certain point the led isn`t capable of no more power into light giving it away mostly as heat, so basically after a certain point the power you give the led is coming out almost only as heat.

I have heard stories from people driving the Xml at 3.3v 6A. (recomended max 3.3v 3A)
In this case I don`t think he is getting more than 1300-1500lumen out of the led.

After so much talk...... POints to consider when overdriving:
1º good cooling , for exemple copper base is helpfull (in your case very good is the temperature sensor or overheat protection)
2º Eficiency loss
3º can the led handle
4º led lifetime decreases
5º for special aplications whit exact color temperature, the light color tint (kelvin) will change slightly

Hope this helped you, good luck with your build
keep us posted (info,pics....)
Best regards
Mark

patrolgr88

Newly Enlightened

Thank you very much!
I agree with you, I will try the best compromise to maximize the LED lumens without execed in overdriving. Currently I have for each spotlight one cxa1850 and one cxa1816 both with optic ledil mirela s. The light produced is a lot but not very deep. The cxa1816 will be replaced by xhp35 hoping to get greater depth with this configuration.

The optic looks realy good!!
When using the dedomed Xhp35 there will be no problem with height while using xpg optics. (no dome, so a lot less high)

About the overdriving, it depends on the use you are planing.
I am not a big overdrive fan because it reduces the LEDs usable lifetime, the eficiency will drop substancial after a certain point.
After a certain point the led isn`t capable of no more power into light giving it away mostly as heat, so basically after a certain point the power you give the led is coming out almost only as heat.

I have heard stories from people driving the Xml at 3.3v 6A. (recomended max 3.3v 3A)
In this case I don`t think he is getting more than 1300-1500lumen out of the led.

After so much talk...... POints to consider when overdriving:
1º good cooling , for exemple copper base is helpfull (in your case very good is the temperature sensor or overheat protection)
2º Eficiency loss
3º can the led handle
4º led lifetime decreases
5º for special aplications whit exact color temperature, the light color tint (kelvin) will change slightly

Hope this helped you, good luck with your build
keep us posted (info,pics....)
Best regards
Mark

Latest posts