Jailbreaking your flashlight. :)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know of flashlights where you can play with firmware?

Oveready and Lux-RC are getting their feet wet with this.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...30w-limit-Screen-Programable-Dual-Mode-Groups

Armytek used to offer a lot of "under the hood" settings fiddling in their 2.5 series (no longer available.) Formerly, we chould choose a flat runtime or diminishing output as well as setting the light for specific battery configurations. They broke with the past and no longer offer this as of 3.0 and later. :( Yeah, the UI was clunky for fine-tuning, but so what? CPF liked it. :(

Zebralight has a lot of programming and excellent UI (IMHO,) but afaik you cannot mess with regulation, max drive, that sort of thing.

There's a custom driver available on CPF that's pretty close to "the real thing," however flashing your own firmware isn't really supported at this time. :(

So how about it, CPF? What lights can we actually jailbreak? Tips and tricks?

Last edited:

quazzle

Newly Enlightened
OR doesn't need an extra "r". The correct spelling is "OVEREADY"
LuxRC needs a dash in the middle, the correct form is "LUX-RC".

As for all that remains - it's all correct ;)

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo´s Aqua-/TerraRam/Mule lights use the HiveLD driver which is one of the most versatile and programmable I know of. The Lux-RC way of screen programming is way easier/cooler but the HiveLD has way more progammable options. Three different mode groups, each one can have between one and five modes, each mode can be programmed with one of 22 brightness settings, max amperage can be set in 100mA steps, memory settings, temperature settings..... I have seen nothing else like it.

With the custom driver I suppose you are refering to the LuciDrv? That´s a pretty cool one as well!

Eric

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, quazzle, Spelling Nazi! :p

I suppose a simple typo in the config file could brick a flashlight when you're trying to flash firmware, huh? :)

With the custom driver I suppose you are refering to the LuciDrv? That´s a pretty cool one as well!
I was vaguely referring to a collaboration between Richard@Mtnelec, Vinh, DrJones. They're not done yet, just now rolling out rev2 and improving higher drain performance. Didn't want to drop a link since version 2 is bleeding edge and not really been hanged and banged with much since it's virtually a new release at time of posting. Might be buggy and need v3, never know.

Got two lights in the air with v2 of the driver, we'll see how awesome it is. Ridiculous numbers of mode groupings. :)

To mess with max drive and drive levels, it's still a firmware flash, AFAIK. Not "official" yet, you see. HiveLD sounds more like what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info, Eric!

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've often wondered if some lights have hidden sequences to turn on developer programming. For example, Zebralight has said they need to individually tune the PID of their lights, such as the SC62. Wouldn't they need to do the tuning after the light is fully assembled? If that's the case, there must be some programming mode that allows them to fiddle with settings that fine-tune PID. Maybe other settings too?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the "you would have NEVER known if you hadn't read the manual" department:

LOL! Just got in my 4x Sony VTC5 high drains to go with my Noctigon Meteor M43 I've been staring at, empty.

Looking through the manual: Main UI mode U3, output 1/output 2/output 3: USER DEFINED! :) 8amp to 4milliamp sound like enough range for us? :) :)

For any of us who miss the insanity of programming an Armytek 2.5 with head tight/loose and one switch... THIS IS THE LIGHT FOR YOU! :):)

Side note: User defined drive level of an RGB Beacon? Run it up to 1A? WOW! :) Soft start 6amp to 8amp, user defined? Hide the strobe if you like, (or go strobe only!) Thermal stepdown 50C, 70C, WOW! So COOL!

Don't see runtime regulation as an option (yet,) but the manual contains a crazy, crazy spaghetti flow chart for programming.

COME ON BATTERIES! CHARGE FASTER! I don't have to wait for nightfall, I have a darkened warehouse lair!

AT 2.5 is NLA, here comes Noctigon!

So very very excited right now. Can't you tell from all the smileys and formatting? :)

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Nitetrider Pro 3600 DIY is user programmable with their software program. As many light steps as you want. Program for long run times or program for eye scorching. Works well, just rather costly compared to other lights.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only programming I can alter is mine.
On faster or slower, off faster or slower.
Plug and play failed miserably, ruined cable, need stitches, logic center aches.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not mentioned so far:

Most cheapo 'generic' flashlight drivers use a popular type microcontroller (Atmel ATtiny13A in 8-pin smd housing, or similar). In theory, you could just take such a board & program your own firmware to go into that ucontroller. But in some cases (and for some specific driver boards), alternate firmwares are available. Perhaps even including source code.

Drawback is you'd have a generic driver / host / LED board and (most likely) tail switch. Not the kind of well-integrated, electronic switch, compact lights from ZL, Olight and similar. Beside setting up a development environment & getting programmer hardware to work. :sweat: Advantage: no real limits other than the raw hardware, your fantasy, and your programming abilities.

For this kind of thing, you may want to check out That Other Flashlight Forum (tm)... ;)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
SEE RETRACTION BELOW.

Can't we please enjoy something with no computer link, I like flashlights, knives and other things because they get me away from my computerized cameras, and even worse Photo Shop, and Light room, I hate post production (the computer industry came up with the awful workflow term, workflow seems like something used in an insurance office. We say post production not workflow in my studio)

Also, I am now leaving the phone behind unless I am conducting business, of course then you can't live without it. I am not worried in the least about a missed calltextemail, that can wait until I get home, it is liberating. Why take a not so smart phone to the hardware store, out to dinner, never! Getting a haircut, things like that don't require a phone like the old days. Rant has concluded, thank you for listening.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
Can't we please enjoy something with no computer link...

Typed on a computer, posted on an unimaginably complex network of computer servers to be read by other people with computers. Ahhh... the delicious irony! :D

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
P
Typed on a computer, posted on an unimaginably complex network of computer servers to be read by other people with computers. Ahhh... the delicious irony! :D

I was was waiting for this maybe you did not read my post, more cords, more computer junk, flashlights that will fail and be trashed before they should, in 50 years people will still load batteries in a McGizmo. This is a two sided problem.

But I can communicate with people all over the world here, this is the fun part of computers, and Web Sites are amazing to find things, but the drudgery and the awful office conditions which I am so thankful I never had to work in, well that must be a bummer all day at a screen. Not to mention the loss of your personal information to private companies who really have no right to it, and all the Government spying the NSA will say they are not doing it, but you call the Air Force General who oversees NSA, and see if you believe him, no one will ever know what they are doing.

I have many friends in the Congress, and they hate the NSA, and are afraid of them.

I do the least you can. My Web site will never be interactive so some clown can't say BS, I have people to what is needed on computers, and my not so smart phone is left at home until I have a project to do.

Social media -- never, never will I never go on Facebook or any other type of sites like that linked in, I laugh at it. I am linked in with no social medias to the most powerful people, who also stay off of social media.

My wife's company in Seattle forbids any employee from having any social media account. Most tech people hate it. At least the ones I know. So before you say things like that, there is a massive amount of people like myself who hate computers, and social media with research to back it up.

Let ask you, Amelia, I bet you can't leave home without your cell phone, can you?

I mean on Facebook, who works to have people put their photos there. The rumors I hear is facial recognition needs 10 images to work, and people post all kinds of photos of themselves, and of course we all know who can get that info. All I can do is laugh.

Why would anyone want their photo on any social media. It makes no sense to me...

So, my simple point was can't something not be computerized? Just once, please?

RANT HAS CONCLUDED, once again I thank all who listened.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You are worried about enough photos on face book to allow facial recognition software to work, when one pic can simply be tagged as to who's in it?

:D

You didn't know there's an "Off" on your smart phone, so if you don't want it ringing, etc, it can't, because you turned it off? That way, if you DO need it, you can turn it "on"...and don't need to leave it at home so it doesn't bother you.

So, sure, the NSA has probably become our version of the KGB, etc....

...But, if someone wants their flashlight to have more and custom modes, I really don't think its in conflict with someone not remembering there's an off button on their phone.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
RedLed, while I happen to agree with the tone of your posts, as society overall we seem to want (not need!) a life filled with tech-gadgetry surrounding us. Including some of the downsides that go with it. Even if many a gadget's features are just check-box items that aren't ever used.

But... (apart from FB building a profile on you, registered user or not, :crazy: or those NSA spooks) practically all of that is still optional. And will remain so: a simple life in the Amazon rain forest, Alaska's empty space or sub-Sahara desert just keeps waiting for you - if that's your thing. So just pick and choose how much you let technology 'run' your life (or your wife's company, for that matter :shakehead ). As for flashlights: a battery + bulb will do, LED or even a switch is optional. :p

As you may have noticed, OP's question was exactly about how to do this kind of thing. So in your case, maybe the proper response would be to simply not participate in threads like this.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
in 50 years people will still load batteries in a McGizmo.

McGizmo lights have always been computerized just like all others. How do you think the output levels are generated and the current regulated? :thinking: I'm fairly certain the converter used in the Haiku is this one, which looks pretty darn computerized to me. ;) In fact the Hive converter used in the new Ram line of lights is likely one of the most computerized and programmable drivers in use on CPF today.

The only light manufacturer I'm aware of that uses analog circuitry to generate output levels is Enrique so maybe check out the Aeon if you want less computers in your lights.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
There's some interesting complexities in these questions. Redled"s concern is one of dependency. We'll become dependent on yet another [layer of] technology and be that much more helpless if/when the technology fails. Meanwhile the technology is offering benefits that make our present situation better.

In some cases the tech being presented already existed and is being extended into the hands of the customer. Were control lost the loss would be limited to the shop"s ability make new configurations for new lights. The customer being stuck with the same config they agreed to at purchase would not feel this loss.

But when control is in your hands, you will feel that loss directly. Part of that is loss of the benefit you paid for and part of that is the practical loss over control of the light itself. The light can be left in whatever configuration it would have been before purchase in the old model, however then you're paying for functionality you're not using.

The real risk is one of enjoying the new freedom to much and experimenting with less proven configs and then being locked into them if you happen to loose control at the wrong moment. There are several ways to reduce this risk. 1) don't experiment, 2) experiment with a secondary light, 3) buy only lights with multiple programmer options so if they go it's not all at once, 4) buy only lights that don't give the option.

2&3 give a nice risk/reward balance, particularly if done concurrently. Particularly if both lights use the same system. So the next question is, how do feel about having different flashlight operating systems?

Last edited: