Extreme Flashlight Use (Please Share!)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOMEONE must have done a thread like this before!

Nevertheless, thought I'd post a couple uses of flashlights that might qualify as "extreme." For the purposes of this thread, I'm defining extreme as use of a handheld flashlight for something one might NOT reasonably expect done with it, in a civilian context.

Extreme Use #1. I have a tendency to put off mowing the lawn until it's nearly dark, and naturally I end up in total darkness before I'm finished. This past summer I got into the habit of taking my SureFire L4 with me to the riding mower, then using it as both auxiliary headlight and my sole reverse light once it was dark. In many ways it was preferable to the headlights on the riding mower, because I could point it wherever I wanted at any time, and the beam showed a wider patch of lawn! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Extreme Use #2. Tonight I needed to shrink some heatshrink tubing, so I grabbed my MagCharger modded with WA01160 bulb. It worked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There must be dozens of these types of anecdotes. Please share! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Harrkev

Enlightened
Re: Extreme Flashlight Use

[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Extreme Use #2. Tonight I needed to shrink some heatshrink tubing, so I grabbed my MagCharger modded with WA01160 bulb. It worked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok,

Here's one for you. Last night the keyhole on my car was crusted up with some ice. Rather than dig it out with the key, I used my MoMag to melt away the ice so the key would slide right in.

Wilkey

PS. I also read about some guy who use a Modded MC to fry a wasp.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did 35 mph on a deserted, dark, road without headlights and only a Scorpion for light. Too much faster would have been "overdriving" my flashlight.

dreamlogic

Newly Enlightened

We used a Inova X1 to find the beach we were camping on from our longtail boat in Thailand. I couldn't tell one beach from another, but fortuately our guide could. We were coming from the other side of the island and the moon hadn't risen yet so it was pretty dark.

The X1 has amazing throw for a nichia, but I wish they'd make a luxeon version. An X5T-HA with an X1 style lens and and luxeon would be even better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*

I use A SF 9AN to warm up my toes when they get chilled.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stockwiz

Enlightened

I took my flashlight and dropped it in a glass of water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Yes, it was an Arc so no damage was done, but for the people who I was demonstrating this too, it was shocking and extreme after a few minutes of letting it run in the water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've used my Arc LSH as a hand warmer. I just stick my chilled hand in my pocket, hit the switch, and it warms my hand up nice and toasty as well as gradually.

I also used an E2e with MN03 bulb to melt a car door lock once.

HunterSon

Enlightened

I was out in a blizzard last night using my snow blower to try and keep the drifts down.
The head lights on them aren't the best so I put my TL-2 Led in a Nite-Eze headband and wow!
Much more light and a great flood. The neighbours must have thought it was a little weird though.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

stockwiz,
I thoght you were going to say you used it to boil water for tea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

stockwiz

Enlightened

It does keep a cup of coffee nice and hot at work. I can't stand lukewarm coffee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Greengoose

Newly Enlightened

Ive used my TL-3 to defrost/defog two things. I used it on the "hour" gauge on a generator one cold foggy morning here in IRAQ and also used my TL-3 to defrost a small spot on the windshield of the truck so I could see thru to drive while the heater got up to temp.
-bryan
-Bryan

richpalm

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
DBrier said:
Does using a 3D Mag as a hammer count?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! My wife had a 24H bug a couple months ago and I used mine to bash ice cubes into chips so she would stay hydrated. Worked good!

Rich

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Several days a week for the past 3 years many lights have been subjected to vomit, blood, hydraulic fluid, battery acid, water, 1000F temperatures, concrete, bumps, shocks, and abuse of "non-flashholics".

Most durable are:
SF M2 (destroyed)
SL NewSurvivor
SF L4 (almost destroyed, has been sent away for refurbishment)
SF L6

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

I gave an arc AA to my lil' sister (she's 9).
I'm pretty sure I saw her throw it away and make clinton (that's her dog) fetch it in the dark. Yeah the light still works...

Topper

Flashaholic*

I being in Arkansas am happy to here that clinton has a good job fetching lights.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I heard clinton was very good at fetching things in the dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

One of my BB500 R2H Fraen lights is mounted on my bicycle helmet with the 2D Mag R2H MM+ having the duty of frame mounted light. A red Luxeon flasher along with an 18-LED flasher have the duties in the back.

The strangest thing done with my flashlights was checking for emergency outlets in a hospital. A buddy of mine borrowed my Cyan 5 watt 5D Mag to shine it in dark rooms during power generator testing. The Cyan color makes red emergency power outlet covers glow black.

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened

i use my SF M6 to break apricot seed.
i was trying to eat "inside the seed of apricot"
i heard that, it contains alot of vitamin B17