Looking for a 3 AAA LED flashlight

aab

Newly Enlightened
Around 5 years ago I had bought a 3 AAA Coleman LED flashlight, it was my first 3 AAA flashlight and I really liked the small size and shape of it, but it barely lasted a week before the switch failed.

Ever since I got a 2 AA Duracell flashlight which is good but I miss the 3 AAA size. I've started looking for one and in just a few minutes found the Maglite XL200 which seems really good but before I buy anything I figured I would ask for recommendations here.

My #1 priority is it using 3 AAA batteries for the compact size, after that would be brightness but with an option to dim it to extend battery life. I'd also like the flashlight design to be as close as possible to a perfect cylinder much like the Maglite XL200. As I said the Maglite XL200 seems great but I'd like to know what others you'd recommend.

Thanks

Last edited:

aab

Newly Enlightened
I prefer to have one quality flashlight than a 3 pack of cheaper ones.

I have a question about the Maglite XL200, I noticed you click 5 times to alternate between different modes, does this mean you can't just push the button once to turn it on and again to turn it off? I can see that bothering me, let's say you need to click 4 times to go from "on" to "off", I could accidentally click 5 times and have to go through the cycle again, or is there a built in delay where a certain number of seconds with no clicks will cause the next click to be "off"?

Thanks

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then don't get a Maglite, or any 3xAAA light. They're okay, but there are much better choices in compact flashlights. Try a 1xAA size. It's more compact, and has just as much energy as 3xAAA. Lots of quality choices in the 1xAA form factor. My favourite is the Zebralight SC52w or SC5w. Another good one is the Armytek Prime A1, which seems like a very tough light, but it's larger than the Zebralights. Either of those lights will blow away any Maglite in terms of quality, performance, and features.

Eagletac D25A seems another good choice, although I haven't owned that myself. I used to like the old 4sevens Quark AA, but they don't make them any more so you'd have to find one somewhere that hasn't sold out of them.

aab

Newly Enlightened
Then don't get a Maglite, or any 3xAAA light. They're okay, but there are much better choices in compact flashlights. Try a 1xAA size. It's more compact, and has just as much energy as 3xAAA. Lots of quality choices in the 1xAA form factor. My favourite is the Zebralight SC52w or SC5w. Another good one is the Armytek Prime A1, which seems like a very tough light, but it's larger than the Zebralights. Either of those lights will blow away any Maglite in terms of quality, performance, and features.

Eagletac D25A seems another good choice, although I haven't owned that myself. I used to like the old 4sevens Quark AA, but they don't make them any more so you'd have to find one somewhere that hasn't sold out of them.

To be honest I didn't really look at the ones that came in a 3 pack, the simple fact they came in a 3 pack made me immediately think it's one of those cheap flashlights with like 15 super cheap LEDs that are dimmer than a candle.

The Maglite XL200 does seem to be what I want, I'm just worried about having to press the button 5 times each time you want to turn it off as that would drive in insane, however in a video it seems like after there's a delay since the last click, the next click will be "off", can anyone confirm this?

I will also look at some 1 AAs but I think I may find them too narrow or small, I really find the shape of 3 AAA flashlights ideal, even if you don't get more power than 1 AA.

Thanks

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tasco lights I was referring to are single emitter cree xre. A little on the cool side, and the pwm on low always bothered me but at less than $7 ea with batteries.... I won't cry if they get lost, stolen, damaged, etc.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single AA battery stores about as much energy as 3x AAA. That's why a 1x AA flashlight will probably meet your needs better than the 3x AAA models you are asking about. As a bonus, your 1x AA flashlight will be smaller.

Although I do not own the Zebralight SC5w or SC52w models mentioned above, based on the SC62w that I do have, I can heartily recommend Zebralight. The SC5w and SC52w are consistently rated among the best 1x AA flashlights around. The Eagletac D25A and Armytek Prime A1 flashlights mentioned by WalkIntoTheLight also are well regarded.

If you don't mind lower output, the L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B is one of the least expensive ways to enter the world of high-CRI flashlights. Output is limited to 140 lumens on high, but color rendition is a little better than with the flashlights discussed above.

Whatever you choose, Panasonic Eneloop NiMH rechargeable and/or Energizer Ultimate Lithium (non-rechargeable, "primary") batteries are the way to go. Alkalines are a poor third choice. Note that the Zebralight SC5 requires an Eneloop Pro battery to reach its highest output levels.

With some (but not all) AA flashlights, you also have the option of using 3.7v Li-ion 14500 rechargeable batteries. Those are the same size as a standard AA, and offer higher output levels in flashlights such as the Zebralight SC52. Interestingly, the energy capacity of a 14500 is no better than an Eneloop Pro, so you do not get longer runtimes.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will also look at some 1 AAs but I think I may find them too narrow or small, I really find the shape of 3 AAA flashlights ideal, even if you don't get more power than 1 AA.

The problem with this is that the quality manufacturers do not offer 3x AAA models.

The reason for making a 3x AAA flashlight is because its driver is poor or nonexistent. By using three 1.5 volt AAA batteries in series, you can reach 4.5 volts. This gives you enough juice to run a modern LED. Typically, they require around 3.0 volts minimum. Two batteries in series start out with enough voltage, but quickly run below what a LED requires.

A good flashlight has a "driver" that "regulates" the current and voltage reaching the LED. Many Zebralights, for instance, use a high-quality buck/boost driver that can lower or raise the voltage supplied by the battery to get the exact current and voltage needed by the LED. Cheap flashlights run on "direct drive." Whatever voltage is still remaining in the battery is fed to the LED. Of course, direct drive is also how old incandescent flashlights operate.

That's why cheap flashlights get dimmer as the batteries run low. I suspect that any 3x AAA flashlight you find will be poorly regulated.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wise words.

The 3 X AAA format is usually lower end lights. They are cheap to build and run forever. That said it may serve you better to be in the 1AA format.

lots of quality options there.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coast HP7 Pro. 360 lumens off 3 or 4 AAA. Available at most Lowes

Coast is probably your best bet if you want a higher quality 3xAAA light. Beware, though. I actually have an old Coast PX25 kicking around. And although it's not a bad light in many respects, the battery carrier has been VERY unreliable. Even a replacement Coast sent me conked out.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with AAA flashlights in general is that AAA alkaline batteries are wasteful, unless you have a rechargeable battery system and aren't using your AAA batteries. If you are the kind of person who cares about conservation and also keeping a battery system and flashlight kit, you found the right forum.

Otherwise, enjoy your flashlights and your batteries.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
When shtf, aaa batteries are everywhere. That's why I keep some of my lights aaa compatible.

Most 1xAA lights work well with a AAA instead. Roll a bit of paper around it to fatten it up a bit, and it should stay in place well. If it's still too short, put a small bit of foil on the negative end, but usually the flashlight's spring takes care of the shorter length.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a question about the Maglite XL200, I noticed you click 5 times to alternate between different modes, does this mean you can't just push the button once to turn it on and again to turn it off? I can see that bothering me, let's say you need to click 4 times to go from "on" to "off", I could accidentally click 5 times and have to go through the cycle again, or is there a built in delay where a certain number of seconds with no clicks will cause the next click to be "off"?

Thanks
I don't have an XL200 but I do have several XL50 and imagine they work the same way?
You click till you get the output where you want it but it only takes a single click to turn it off.
It would be pretty crazy if it worked otherwise.

If you want the Mag then get the Mag and do not let yourself be bullied out of your choice,it is you buying the light and if you want to use 3aaa then do so.

The Mag are not the terrible light these same guys constantly drag through the mud,if nothing else they are pretty reliable at least for me.
When they do break I can go into any store almost anywhere and get the replacement and often for free under warranty too,try this with any of the other lights here.

aab

Newly Enlightened
The reason for making a 3x AAA flashlight is because its driver is poor or nonexistent. By using three 1.5 volt AAA batteries in series, you can reach 4.5 volts. This gives you enough juice to run a modern LED. Typically, they require around 3.0 volts minimum. Two batteries in series start out with enough voltage, but quickly run below what a LED requires.

A good flashlight has a "driver" that "regulates" the current and voltage reaching the LED. Many Zebralights, for instance, use a high-quality buck/boost driver that can lower or raise the voltage supplied by the battery to get the exact current and voltage needed by the LED. Cheap flashlights run on "direct drive." Whatever voltage is still remaining in the battery is fed to the LED. Of course, direct drive is also how old incandescent flashlights operate.

That's why cheap flashlights get dimmer as the batteries run low. I suspect that any 3x AAA flashlight you find will be poorly regulated.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to ask here before making a choice, I didn't know that and would prefer one with a driver so the brightness stays constant. However, I'm used to the dimming light serving as a reminder that I need to recharge the batteries soon. Do those with a driver just die suddenly with no warning? The constant brightness would be an advantage but having it die without warning could be a problem.

The problem with AAA flashlights in general is that AAA alkaline batteries are wasteful, unless you have a rechargeable battery system and aren't using your AAA batteries. If you are the kind of person who cares about conservation and also keeping a battery system and flashlight kit, you found the right forum.

Otherwise, enjoy your flashlights and your batteries.

I don't use alkaline batteries in anything but smoke alarms, I think it's absolutely ridiculous to use alkaline batteries when rechargeables last longer per charge (in high drain devices) and pay for themselves possibly hundreds of times (I typically replace my rechargeables every 5 years) and are much more environmentally friendly. It actually pisses me off whenever I see someone using alkalines, it just makes no sense whatsoever to me as you lose in every way.

Do you say AAAs are wasteful because you need 3 of them for the same power as 1 AA?

I will definitely be looking at some 1 AA flashlights but to be honest I like the Maglite XL200, it seems to have a rotation sensor that allows you to rotate the flashlight itself to adjust brightness, strobe rate, and also has a mode where it dims itself when not moving and goes bright again when moved. Do any 1 AA flashlights have similar features?

Thanks

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do those with a driver just die suddenly with no warning? The constant brightness would be an advantage but having it die without warning could be a problem.

Some early LED flashlights did just that! It did not take long to find out that getting caught in the dark with no warning was unacceptable. Good flashlights give you flat regulation in all but their highest modes (and sometimes even there), but also give you plenty of warning when the batteries are running low.

When batteries in the Zebralight SC5 begin to get low, it automatically steps-down to a lower level. It does this in both Hi and Medium modes, first from Hi to Medium, and then from Medium to Low. After each stepdown, you still have 15-30 minutes (or longer) at the new level. I can tell you from personal experience with the SC62w that this works. It is quite jarring when it happens. It doesn't go unnoticed.

In addition, when the SC5 is off, you can click four times to get battery status. In response, the flashlight will flash between 1 and 4 times, with 4 meaning a full or nearly full battery.

Take a look at these runtime charts for the Zebralight SC5. They are taken from the review by CPF member Selfbuilt. The exact times for each stepdown are shown in the charts.

SC5-Hi-EnePro.gif

SC5-Med-EnePro.gif

The performance of the SC5 is simply outstanding. Overall efficiency and regulation are comparable to the SC52 on the lower levels (which was always best in class). But at the highest levels, the SC5 blows away anything in the class in terms of output.

In addition to the written review linked above, Selfbuilt has posted a short video review on YouTube that you might find worthwhile.

The SC5 is worth serious consideration. It is a bit bulkier than other 1x AA flashlights, so you may find that you can get used to its grip. It is one of the best 1x AA flashlights currently available. Running on NiMH, there is nothing brighter. In the conclusion of his written review, Selfbuilt says this: "The SC5 is another hit-out-of-the-park home run for Zebralight in the 1xAA class." I have read many of his reviews. Few, if any, use such uncompromising language.

I will definitely be looking at some 1 AA flashlights but to be honest I like the Maglite XL200, it seems to have a rotation sensor that allows you to rotate the flashlight itself to adjust brightness, strobe rate, and also has a mode where it dims itself when not moving and goes bright again when moved. Do any 1 AA flashlights have similar features?

Zebralights do not use accelerometers, and cannot automatically get dimmer or brighter based on motion. Sounds like this could be useful in case you set your flashlight down, and then forget it is running.

Although Zebralights are without accelerometers, they do have one of the most popular user interfaces in the business. Directly from off, the UI gives you access to Lo, Medium, and Hi. From any of these, an alternate level can be selected by double-clicking. That means there are 6 easily accessed levels. In case that is not enough, there are 5 more alternates that can be programmed with a little work. Of course, there are also multiple (hidden) strobe, SOS, beacon modes.

If you want the Mag then get the Mag and do not let yourself be bullied out of your choice,it is you buying the light and if you want to use 3aaa then do so.

Sound advice from a recent purchaser of the SC5! As I recall, AVService has not yet decided whether he likes the SC52 a bit more than the SC5. Last I read, he was still waiting for an Eneloop Pro so he could check out the Hi mode on his SC5.

Last edited:

maglite mike

Enlightened
You can simply click it on and click it off. The UI is awesome on the maglite xl200. It's my most used light by far.

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts