Olight PL-1 Valkyrie weapon light

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool video. Those outdoor beam shots show it would really do the trick.

Not my language, but I still think I understood a few words.
Ambidextrous
Police
Solid?
practical?
on/off
Pistol
compact
Olight

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
any updates on the UI for this one? UI is extremely important on a pistol light. i used to have the streamlight TLR-3, garbage rotating lever switch

ok so i dug around and found this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...lkyrie-Pistol-Light-is-Here!-400-lumens-99-95

so glad they got it right on this one:

short press turns on, short press turns off

press both buttons: blue light

double-click: strobe

press-n-hold >1s: momentary

the UI sounds a lot like the Inforce APL, yes the pistol light that has the auto-detach feature LOL

Last edited:

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
Why blue leds for navigation???? Why a 1sec momentary? :thinking:

The idea with the blue LEDs is that you can navigate around without having 400 lumens announcing your presence. They're not for everyone, so you don't have to use them if you don't like them.

Momentary is if you press and hold for longer than a second, so any press longer than than will be momentary. It's not limited to 1 second.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there are others brands offering this kind of momentary and I did not mean momentary for 1sec but momentary after 1sec. Maybe I need ask for Inforce about this.

And about the blue LED, I expected to know why the blue color was chosen.

Yep, definitelly not the WL I was looking for, thanks!

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
the UI sounds a lot like the Inforce APL, yes the pistol light that has the auto-detach feature LOL

The inforce apl doesn't have that problem at all anymore. The few instances of that happening only happened on the old quick detach switch. They have a screw now.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why blue leds for navigation???? Why a 1sec momentary? :thinking:

This.

Using a weapon light for "navigation" doesn't sound like a good idea and the 1 sec+ pseudo momentary won't work for flash and scan type tasks.

That said, I'm glad more companies are looking at making WML's, especially of the single cell variety.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The inforce apl doesn't have that problem at all anymore. The few instances of that happening only happened on the old quick detach switch. They have a screw now.

ok lemme rephrase, that HAD the auto detach

i hope the PL-1 doesn't have it...

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
This.

Using a weapon light for "navigation" doesn't sound like a good idea and the 1 sec+ pseudo momentary won't work for flash and scan type tasks.

That said, I'm glad more companies are looking at making WML's, especially of the single cell variety.

blue light is well hidden so it shouldn't cause any problems. it's more of a gimmick since you can't get to it from off as a kind of a "stealth mode". you first need to turn white light on before you can transition to blue, by then you would have given away your position to the enemy. so just pretend the blue light doesn't exist and you'll be fine

>1s is the only way to implement momentary i.e. the light can't read your mind so there has to be fixed rules on the timing. they tried the rotating lever on the TLR-3 to have true momentary by rotating in a different direction but IMHO it failed miserably

can't wait to try the PL-1. will shoot the crap out of it in my 40cal

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
>1s is the only way to implement momentary i.e. the light can't read your mind so there has to be fixed rules on the timing. they tried the rotating lever on the TLR-3 to have true momentary by rotating in a different direction but IMHO it failed miserably

On my HDS Clickies (not a weapon light), pseudo momentary is produced if the switch is pressed longer than 1/3 of a second, which is better, but in reality the risk of unintentionally locking constant on is still very high. Not necessarily the worst thing in the world, but not ideal. 1 second is too long.

The rockers on the TLR's and X300's aren't too bad for me. They're not based on timing which is a plus. The new Surefire XC1 on the other hand looks like a solid UI for a weapon light, (ambidextrous momentary switches and a separate cross bar for constant on) but the price for a AAA light is unreasonable.

The form factor of this Olight looks promising and the price point makes it accessible to more buyers for sure. In the end any light is better than no light.

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my HDS Clickies (not a weapon light), pseudo momentary is produced if the switch is pressed longer than 1/3 of a second, which is better, but in reality the risk of unintentionally locking constant on is still very high. Not necessarily the worst thing in the world, but not ideal. 1 second is too long.
I agree, thats the point.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
the shorter the window for constant the bigger the chance of "negligent" (i wouldn't use the word accidental here) momentary (i.e. you wanted constant but got momentary instead). e.g. if you leave your finger pressed on the button just a little bit longer for whatever reason. stress takes away a lot of your fine motor skills, including timing skills

anyway, having to switch between 2 mindsets (i.e. do i use constant or do i use momentary) was what caused me to hate the TLR-3 so much in first place. since you have to use light sparingly then momentary seems like a good thing, right? but when you're actually shooting you need it to be on constant! so do you tell the bad guy to hold on while you switch your light to constant-on???

so hopefully w/ the PL-1 just click on, scan the area, click off, then MOVE! rinse, repeat. unless you get to ID the target w/ the light and decide to use lethal force. in which case the light is on already...

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
the shorter the window for constant the bigger the chance of "negligent" (i wouldn't use the word accidental here) momentary (i.e. you wanted constant but got momentary instead). e.g. if you leave your finger pressed on the button just a little bit longer for whatever reason. stress takes away a lot of your fine motor skills, including timing skills

anyway, having to switch between 2 mindsets (i.e. do i use constant or do i use momentary) was what caused me to hate the TLR-3 so much in first place. since you have to use light sparingly then momentary seems like a good thing, right? but when you're actually shooting you need it to be on constant! so do you tell the bad guy to hold on while you switch your light to constant-on???

so hopefully w/ the PL-1 just click on, scan the area, click off, then MOVE! rinse, repeat. unless you get to ID the target w/ the light and decide to use lethal force. in which case the light is on already...
I got it. This long timing is need i.e. when you are shooting once your finger can loose contact with the button or making contact for a little time making the light "think" you want the "constant". I tottaly agree on it. :thumbsup:

However about TLR-3, it have 2 fisical movements to set "flash" or "constant", then they are not in same plane. IMHO fisical movements are way better than mind time counting in a stressful situation. I have shooting with TLR-3 on duty and I am very satisfied with UI. I do prefer flashing the light and there is no way of have a "accidental" constant mode with TLR3 UI.

Cheers

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Currently, with the >1/3 second of the HDS, I get "negligent" constant on more than I do accidental momentary. I wouldn't even bother carrying an HDS specifically for this task because it's timing based, but as a back up....sure. 6 clicks from off and you get full on, stupid proof, SFTF, pure momentary.
I prefer true, pure momentary for use with a handgun, whether from a weapon light or handheld. Under stress, thinking about timing to get what I want will be more difficult than holding a grip I've trained with.
Variety is the spice of life. YMMV.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
However about TLR-3, it have 2 fisical movements to set "flash" or "constant", then they are not in same plane. IMHO fisical movements are way better than mind time counting in a stressful situation. I have shooting with TLR-3 on duty and I am very satisfied with UI. I do prefer flashing the light and there is no way of have a "accidental" constant mode with TLR3 UI.

Cheers

the problem w/ TLR-3 is, when do you use constant (that's flick down, right?) and when do you use momentary? haha i don't even remember which is up/down coz they're reversed when you switch to your other hand (which you may need to if you get injured)

if you use momentary, when you transition your trigger finger to pulling your trigger you let go of the switch so the light goes out while shooting. not good :) and there's no time to transition to constant when the threat is imminent

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
the problem w/ TLR-3 is, when do you use constant (that's flick down, right?) and when do you use momentary? haha i don't even remember which is up/down coz they're reversed when you switch to your other hand (which you may need to if you get injured)

if you use momentary, when you transition your trigger finger to pulling your trigger you let go of the switch so the light goes out while shooting. not good
smile.gif
and there's no time to transition to constant when the threat is imminent
You can use momentary at same movement as constant. I.e. TLR-3 right key turn on the constant pressing it down, but if you not complete the movement full down you'll have the momentary also, just as if you were pressing the key up. No transition need.

PS: Same for the left key but oposite movement, of course.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use momentary at same movement as constant. I.e. TLR-3 right key turn on the constant pressing it down, but if you not complete the movement full down you'll have the momentary also, just as if you were pressing the key up. No transition need.

PS: Same for the left key but oposite movement, of course.

but that requires finesse aka fine motor skills to push it just right before it clicks into constant. so not a good idea either

anyway i found this on youtube. don't have much respect for this guy but he did show some features of the PL-1, like blue light directly from off: