UV flashlight needed. What do you all suggest?

sarge1967

Newly Enlightened
I am in need of a UV light for my job. I am aware of the Nitecore P20UV. I was just wondering if there are any others you all might suggest.

Battery type would be 18650 preferred but I can use 14500 or 16340.
I would like a dual purpose light with a decent white light emitter in the 600+ lumen range.
Thanks!

d88

Newly Enlightened
Would a Klarus RS20 UV with a UV main led and a side diffused led of white,red,green & blue fit your criteria ?

Last edited:

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also take a look at First Light USA's T-MAX NV TC3 KIT or Tomahawk NV TC3 KIT. They both include a UV task light option. Difference is the T-MAX gives you 700 ANSI lumens, whereas the Tomahawk is 450 ANSI lumens. I don't have either yet but am planning on the T-MAX. Not sure what the power on the UV task light is though. Technical information is rather sparse :scowl:.

EDIT: the T-MAX takes CR123 or RCR123, not sure about the Tomahawk.

EDIT 2: the UV task light is a tailcap that takes it's own coin batteries, so that is something to keep in mind. the T-MAX does have various color LED options as well as IR. Wish the UV was an integral mode of the light but it is not.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in need of a UV light for my job. I am aware of the Nitecore P20UV. I was just wondering if there are any others you all might suggest.

Battery type would be 18650 preferred but I can use 14500 or 16340.
I would like a dual purpose light with a decent white light emitter in the 600+ lumen range.
Thanks!

What's the task? What nm uv does it require? How far away does it need to be effective? What optics would you prefer? Size? UI?

sarge1967

Newly Enlightened
What's the task? What nm uv does it require? How far away does it need to be effective? What optics would you prefer? Size? UI?

I work in the pest control industry. I need the light for tracking rodent urine mainly but it will aid in finding certain insects as well.
As far as the nm required, I have no clue. Distance needs to be at least 6 ft or so. Size, the smaller the better. UI, I am used to clicky switches mostly but could adapt to another.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I calibrate equipment used in inspection applications and one of the technologies used is UV light and fluorescent dyes. Take it for what it's worth, but here's my take on this:

You absolutely need to know what nm (wavelength) is needed to see what you're looking for, else you could end up with a light that is totally useless. You might also need a few different UV lights with different wavelengths for different applications (ex.: detecting urine from different species or detecting some types of scorpions or bugs). Most lights on the market are 375nm and those are mostly good for clubs and for checking money; very few real-life applications need 375nm lighting in my experience.

As far as price is concerned, that can vary greatly. As a general rule of thumb 375 nm would be cheapest and most widely available (but rarely practical unless you work in a bar) and the lower the number of nm, the higher the price (easily 300$ for a cheap 365nm light that actually IS 365nm)

UVET has the widest selection of UV lights that I know of and might be able to help you if you don't have anywhere else to start. I won't say they have top quality flashlights, but they are better than the average cheapo UV flashlight in my experience.

I did find this and they seem to say all you need is a 390nm light:
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/uv-rodent-tracker-light

I still support the idea that you might need more than one wavelength to cover all your needs. The cheapest way to try different wavelengths is to get a 4" battery-operated fluorescent tube light and just experiment with different tubes (unless you can find a paper from someone that already did the work for you). Obviously, the portable tube only works at very close range.

Hope this helps,
Cataract

sarge1967

Newly Enlightened
I calibrate equipment used in inspection applications and one of the technologies used is UV light and fluorescent dyes. Take it for what it's worth, but here's my take on this:

You absolutely need to know what nm (wavelength) is needed to see what you're looking for, else you could end up with a light that is totally useless. You might also need a few different UV lights with different wavelengths for different applications (ex.: detecting urine from different species or detecting some types of scorpions or bugs). Most lights on the market are 375nm and those are mostly good for clubs and for checking money; very few real-life applications need 375nm lighting in my experience.

As far as price is concerned, that can vary greatly. As a general rule of thumb 375 nm would be cheapest and most widely available (but rarely practical unless you work in a bar) and the lower the number of nm, the higher the price (easily 300$ for a cheap 365nm light that actually IS 365nm)

UVET has the widest selection of UV lights that I know of and might be able to help you if you don't have anywhere else to start. I won't say they have top quality flashlights, but they are better than the average cheapo UV flashlight in my experience.

I did find this and they seem to say all you need is a 390nm light:
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/uv-rodent-tracker-light

I still support the idea that you might need more than one wavelength to cover all your needs. The cheapest way to try different wavelengths is to get a 4" battery-operated fluorescent tube light and just experiment with different tubes (unless you can find a paper from someone that already did the work for you). Obviously, the portable tube only works at very close range.

Hope this helps,
Cataract

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this. I do appreciate it. I will have to do some research into what nm I need.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender is a member here on CPF (Google customlites for his site) who can custom build P60 drop in assemblies that will fit a Solarforce host. You can buy a host for about $20, and the UV drop in lists for $68 on his website. It is 365nm wavelength. It is going to be a reliable combo for you, if you end up needing that specific wavelength. It'll run 18650.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sarge1967, If I needed a UV light, I'd go with cland72's approach. Most UV lights that I've seen use the smaller UV leds (5mm?), and arrange them in a "showerhead" configuration. They don't look like they would project the UV light very efficiently, but the Nailbender module has a more powerful led and a "full-size" D26 reflector, so I would think you would be able to pick up rodent traces at a more useful distance. 365nm is probably about the strongest commercially-available UV leds that you are going to find; I just don't know if it is the most effective wavelength for your particular job. 365nm can do serious eye damage; I don't know if you have UV-protective eyewear, but since you are going to be exposed to an accumulation of potential UV reflections off of different surfaces, I hope that you are wearing some.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender is a member here on CPF (Google customlites for his site) who can custom build P60 drop in assemblies that will fit a Solarforce host. You can buy a host for about $20, and the UV drop in lists for $68 on his website. It is 365nm wavelength. It is going to be a reliable combo for you, if you end up needing that specific wavelength. It'll run 18650.

What??? Why did no one tell me that earlier!!

Sarge1967, If I needed a UV light, I'd go with cland72's approach. Most UV lights that I've seen use the smaller UV leds (5mm?), and arrange them in a "showerhead" configuration. They don't look like they would project the UV light very efficiently, but the Nailbender module has a more powerful led and a "full-size" D26 reflector, so I would think you would be able to pick up rodent traces at a more useful distance. 365nm is probably about the strongest commercially-available UV leds that you are going to find; I just don't know if it is the most effective wavelength for your particular job. 365nm can do serious eye damage; I don't know if you have UV-protective eyewear, but since you are going to be exposed to an accumulation of potential UV reflections off of different surfaces, I hope that you are wearing some.

Good point. It is recommended to wear glasses when using 365nm lights, but I know tons of users who do inspections all day long and none of them actually wear any kind of specific eye protection other than regular safety glasses. All transparent materials do absorb most UV light BTW, but specific UV inspection glasses are reported to help bring out contrasts. Forensics experts use a variety of wave lengths (from UV to deep red) and as many different colored filters to detect various traces.

sarge1967

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, my eye glasses have UV protection built in but I will grab a pair of glasses for customers to wear when I am doing UV inspections.

sarge1967

Newly Enlightened

That sounds like a great option, thanks!

Samyu

Newly Enlightened
UniqueFire-WF-502B-10w-365nm-high-power.jpg_220x220.jpg

http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...0181208834.html?spm=a2700.7724838.35.8.eSZGvP

Is that Ok?

sarge1967

Newly Enlightened

I went to his site and could not find any UV modules listed. I found IR and colored but no UV. Would you be so kind as to providing a link?

cloggy

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend a Streamlight 'Night Com' UV -Three 365 nm UV LEDs and three 390 nm UV LEDs cover most bases.
It also has a conventional LED with high and low and a safety setting. I have had one for a few years and it has given good service.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
For rodent urine, 390 nm, despite many places that sell lights for this using that, is not that great, as in, it sucks.

365 nm is a LOT better.

The power ratings vary tremendously, think of it as the "throw" number....but make a tremendous difference in that application.

The beam angle is the other issue.

For example, a guy checking a $20 is right on top of it...inches away. Its hard to miss a bill in your hand, and, you know where to look, etc.

A guy looking around a warehouse or basement, etc, for urine tracks, doesn't know if they are there or not, and, is NOT inches away typically. IE: You would rather be standing, and shine the light around like a flashlight, and see what fluoresces, than have to be on your knees looking at every square inch manually, etc.

You would RATHER the UV beam be wide enough to give context/where the trail came from/is going, that its not an efflorescence deposit, and so forth....than be a teeny glowing point that you have to mentally stitch together with the other wee points to make a picture, etc.

That all takes a lot of power. (Just like lumens vs lux, etc) - The tighter the beam pattern, the smaller the dot of light, but the more watts per square inch you get to make micky's wee glow. Spread the same watts out, and its less per square inch....etc.

Something like a (Nichia) NVSU333A U365 LED puts out ~ 3,640 mW at 365 nm for example. With the right optics, its a very good option for that application.

And so forth.

Forget the "dual purpose" versions...the beam compromises are not worth it...and just get a dedicated UV light....for your application, its a better solution.

The flashlight can be a better flashlight, and the UV light can be a better UV light...as with two LED, which of them is optimally located in the lens, etc, to focus best?

Answer = NONE.

:D

Last edited: