Streamlight ProTac 2AA vs Fenix E25: Need Recommendations

Ro_Laren

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking into buying a flashlight to keep around the house. It would be a general purpose flashlight. There are a lot of flashlights out there and I
know that some people really prefer one brand over another. I've used the cheapy Wal-Mart flashlights before, but I want to get a better quality flashlight that uses regular alkaline AA batteries. One reason I want a better quality flashlight is that it would be more reliable, especially in a crunch. Right now,
I'm looking at the Streamlight ProTac 2AA and the Fenix E25. I've researched Streamlight flashlights a lot more than the Fenix flashlights, so I'm more inclined to buy a Streamlight.

Here are the Pros and Cons that I've found on-line:

Streamlight ProTac 2AA

Pros
  • You can find more Streamlight flashlight YouTube reviews, so they seem to be more popular. That makes me think they are better quality flashlights.
  • They have a lot more reviews on Amazon, so they seem to be more popular. That makes me think they are better quality flashlights.
  • You can turn them on in two spots - Using a front push button like normal flashlights, but also by pushing a button at the bottom of the flashlight (i.e. the opposite end of the light).
  • They come with a clip so you can clip them to your pants if you want to (I've never done that).

Cons

• No lanyard clip
  • They aren't as bright as the Fenix E25: the Streamlight ProTac 2AA goes as high as 155 lumens, but the Fenix E25 is 260 lumens. But again, I mainly want to use this as a general purpose flashlight in my house.
  • It can't shine the light as far as the Fenix E25 (IIRC, about 65 meters less). But again, I mainly want to use this as a general purpose flashlight in my house.
  • A couple dollars more expensive than the Fenix E25.
  • I've seen some review videos where although the review doesn't point this out, the on button on the side of the flashlight seems damaged. It's still usable, but you can tell that part of it is missing
  • Only 3 light modes (high, low, strobe) vs. 4 light modes of the Fenix E25 (high, medium, low, strobe).

Fenix E25

Pros

• Brighter than the Streamlight ProTac 2AA: the Streamlight ProTac 2AA goes as high as 155 lumens, but the Fenix E25 is 260 lumens. But again, I mainly want to use this in my house.
  • Can shine the light about 65 meters farther than the Streamlight ProTac 2AA. But again, I mainly want to use this in my house.
  • It has a spot where you can attach a lanyard.
  • A couple dollars cheaper than the Streamlight ProTac 2AA
  • 4 light modes E25 (high, medium, low, strobe) vs. the 3 light modes (high, low, strobe) of the Streamlight ProTac 2AA

Cons

• Since they seem to be less popular than the Streamlight ProTac 2AA that means you don't have as many reviews. That means that the Fenix E25 could have common flays that I just don't know about.
  • You cannot turn them on by pushing a button at the bottom of the flashlight (i.e. the opposite end of the light) like a Streamlight ProTac 2AA.
  • Was the stats of this flashlight that they advertise really tested with 2 alkaline AA batteries or 2 Ni-MH batteries? Does using 2 alkaline AA batteries mean that maybe the light won't shine as bright and as far?

Again, I'm more drawn to the Streamlight ProTac 2AA, but the main cons for me are the fact that I can't attach a lanyard and it isn't as bright. The main parts I don't like about the Fenix E25 is there is no button at the bottom of the flashlight (i.e. the opposite end of the light) and it seems like
more of a risk 'cause there aren't as many reviews. Does anyone have any thoughts? Does anyone have one or both of these flashlights?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big pros for me of the pro tac series in general, and this likely only applies to me, is the ability to program them to be a high-only single mode, and that they have a single tailcap forward clicky, & do so without sacrificing tail standing (except for the 1aaa).

The e25's increased output & spot intensity of its xp-e2 are nice too; either one should be a great choice!

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
E25 is a great light IMO.
My older model is still working great after two years of hard use.
It's a loaner light, been dropped and treated fairly rough and zero issue, also applies to glass lens and rubber button.
Great light IMO.

Ro_Laren

Newly Enlightened
The big pros for me of the pro tac series in general, and this likely only applies to me, is the ability to program them to be a high-only single mode, and that they have a single tailcap forward clicky, & do so without sacrificing tail standing (except for the 1aaa).

The e25's increased output & spot intensity of its xp-e2 are nice too; either one should be a great choice!

I don't think I checked, but is the Fenix E25 programmable?

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
My English is bad.
I bought many Fenix E25 but the old model (old version 187 lumens)
I never tried the new model to 260 lumens, it has brightness levels spaced differently, and it seems to me that the maximum level of 260 is only in bursts (to get it you have to press and hold the button)
The E25 has proved a good light, none of the examples that I gave still had problems.
Some time ago I made a Fenix E25 review (but the old model) and some video, see if you can be helpful.
http://goo.gl/uoqEC8

If I may make a suggestion a good light 2xAA is Nitecore MT21A or MT2A
Between two lights I prefer MT2A (less throw but more diffused beam, output is 345 lumens)
I also made a review of MT21A http://goo.gl/KKV01z but unfortunately did not have time to make the review of MT2A - but you can see some Beamshot that I put on this forum (my photo at the bottom of the Swede74 review)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ludes-pics-specifications-and-timelapse-video

The choice of light depends on what you need to do, if you must use it at home led XP-E is not the best choice (but you can use a diffuser)

For batteries the best choice is always Eneloop.
With alkaline duration is always less, usually on site Fenix indicates the duration that both NiMH batteries with alkaline
If you make a sporadic use of torch and do not want to use rechargeable batteries you should use Energizer Lithium L91, these have much autonomy, frost resistant and not damage your torch with acid leaking
(Translate with Google)

WesleyT

Newly Enlightened
I think your concern for Fenix quality may be misplaced. I started in LED lights years ago with Streamlight, and I think that is because they have more mainstream exposure–I found them mentioned at everydaycarry.com many years ago.

I found Fenix this year and now have a number of their lights. I think they have excellent quality. I've researched them since and confirmed my findings: they are one of the better flashlight manufacturers.

I don't have experience with either light you're considering. I do have the LD22, and while it's a great light, I think its beam might be too narrow for general indoor use.

Ro_Laren

Newly Enlightened
My English is bad.
I bought many Fenix E25 but the old model (old version 187 lumens)
I never tried the new model to 260 lumens, it has brightness levels spaced differently, and it seems to me that the maximum level of 260 is only in bursts (to get it you have to press and hold the button)

Thanks Stefano. I can't believe I missed this when I was looking at the stats, but you are correct that the Fenix E25 is only 260 lumens when it is in the burst / strobe mode. The regular high mode is only 130 lumens, which is less than the Streamlight ProTac 2AA high mode.

Now I only wish the Streamlight ProTac 2AA had a way to put a lanyard on it! Streamlight has lanyards on some of their other models. I wonder why they didn't put it on the Streamlight ProTac 2AA...

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Ro Laren
I think the new Fenix E25 is still a good flashlight.
It has a LED XP-E2
I did not understand what kind of LED mounts Streamlight (C4?)
You can choose a good light, the market offers a lot of choice on 2xAA

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like Streamlight a lot. The newest 2xAA ProPolymer has 65 lumens. Advanced plastic. This has what Streamlight calls the C4 led which is some flavor of efficient Cree led. I have the yellow model, very easy to see/find. 65 lumens is plenty around the house. I think I got it at flashlight distributor for something like $25 shipped. Great overall light. It came out not too long ago.

Also if you want I like/have/used a lot the Streamlight ProPlymer 4xAA model with C4 also in yellow that has 50 and 300 lumens. Very versatile light. Lots of throw and spill. Programmable to 50/300 lumes so two levels. Long runtime on 50 lumens.

Streamlight has great warranty also. I highly recommend them.

Last edited: