If you could only have one EDC light, which would be more important - Flood or Throw?

Flood or Throw?

• Flood

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Throw

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Other -- please explain

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
There's an expensive [for me] light that comes in both XP-G and XM-L bulbs... and I'm wondering which one would be more important for an EDC light. I know throw used to be more "valuable" amongst this crowd, but it seems like flood is starting to gain more popularity. So if you could only have ONE to carry EVERY day, which would it be?

Also, isn't there a new bulb that is a kinda blend of XP-G and XM-L, offering the best of both worlds? Thought I read that somewhere but don't remember the emitter's name.

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
Also, isn't there a new bulb that is a kinda blend of XP-G and XM-L, offering the best of both worlds? Thought I read that somewhere but don't remember the emitter's name.
I think I was reading about the XP-L. :cool:

Can't find too many beamshots comparing XP-G2 to XP-L, however...

EDIT: OK, I think I was actually reading about the de-domed XP-L (AKA: "High Intensity" version). Would still love some comparison beamshots if anyone knows of any.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very small edc light: Small amount of throw and small amount of flood.

Medium size edc light: Average amount of throw and average amount of flood.

Larger size edc light: Should provide slightly more throw and slightly more flood.

If throw is more important, you can expect to have a large diameter head.

Diminishing returns applies, so slightly more throw and flood will necessitate a more than slightly larger light.

For me, choice is a matter of personality, so I edc multiple lights at the same time.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
A question for you: what is the average distance that you expect to be from the things you want to light up?

Relatedly: do you anticipate living and working indoors or outdoors when you use your light?

Flood is for close-up (say, within 10 meters) and for indoors. If you live in a city, work in buildings, spend most of your time in built environments, then you will use flood far more.

If you live on a cattle-ranch, work on a boat, do search and rescue, race sled-dogs, etc. etc. and are outside trying to see things more than 10 meters away, then you need more throw.

When thinking about this, try to remember what your life is *really like*, rather than what you would *like* it to be like.

(Says the office drone who wishes he lived an outdoor life).

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
Very small edc light: Small amount of throw and small amount of flood.
I would think that, for a light you want to carry 365 days out of the year, one would want a small light with options including small, average, and "slightly more" amounts of throw / flood. I hear you on the different diameter heads, different size batteries maxing out at certain number of lumens, different applications requiring different solutions, etc... however...

If you could only choose ONE light, would you prefer that light to have more throw or more flood?

Perhaps the question should really be...

If you could only choose ONE light to carry 365 days out of the year, which ONE emitter would you choose (all other things being equal) -- XP-G2, XM-L2, XL-P domed, XL-P undomed, or other??

That might be the better question. :candle: Just couldn't remember the XL-P option, much less the "High Intensity" version.

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
A question for you: what is the average distance that you expect to be from the things you want to light up?
This is not a recommendation thread; it's a self-proclamation thread. ;)

However, as you'll notice in my last post.... the title should be which ONE emitter would you choose for your ideal EDC flashlight?

Amelia

Enlightened
I voted "Other", because:
If I could only have one light period, it would be a H600Fw headlamp... so "flood" all the way.
If I could also have a handheld EDC, I'd choose the super throwy T25C2 HI, and a diffuser for when I want it floody... (and a Triple Nichia 219 drop-in pill if I'm allowed to,"bend" the rules just a little bit! :) )

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted "Other", because:
If I could only have one light period, it would be a H600Fw headlamp... so "flood" all the way.
If I could also have a handheld EDC, I'd choose the super throwy T25C2 HI, and a diffuser for when I want it floody... (and a Triple Nichia 219 drop-in pill if I'm allowed to,"bend" the rules just a little bit! :) )

You like bending the rules. Lol
One edc, not a headlight & palm light & a custom..... Lol
Tho I respect your choices!

Amelia

Enlightened
You like bending the rules. Lol
One edc, not a headlight & palm light & a custom..... Lol
Tho I respect your choices!

OK then... if not a headlamp, then the EagleTac T25C2 HI with a diffuser filter. Covers it all... except for the headlamp part! :)

GearHunter

Enlightened
I choose " Other". For a light that will be the light I carry 365 it needs to do everything I need it to do. I need decent throw and a nice size hot spot with decent spill. There is now way I could limit myself to choosing between flood and throw. My life is too fluid with too many variables and locations ( indoor and out/day and night) to use a speciality . I need and carry a " jack of all trades".

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
An excerpt from one my favorite CPF posts :)

<snip>
-Throw is the most sought after, and useless, performance feature of a general purpose/utility light.
-High output/lumens is the second most sought after, and useless, performance feature of a general purpose/utility light.
-Many people, including myself, tend to purchase lights for imaginary uses(that call for throw and/or high output!), even when it's often the opposite of what we need.
<snip>

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your #1 sounded like you were looking for advice, but I see now that you want our own preferences.

Okay: my universal EDC is my ZL H600 Mk II, neutral, not floody, with a disc of plastic diffuser film on the front.

It covers me for 95% of all applications in my life. And I love the range of levels--from 1000 lumen down to less than 1/10th of a lumen.

Output range is pretty important! Try changing the fuses under your car's dashboard with a 500 lumen thrower. Or checking on your sleeping kid.