help me choose a new 4aa or 6aa light

gramps416

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
help me choose a new light.
I have a zebralight sc51w neutral white and love it. The only main issue i have with this light is the runtime. less than 1 hour on high is not going to cut it for an application I need.

so here is what i am looking for in a new light in order of importance.

1. 4aa or 6aa (or even 8aa?). I need the long runtime. does not need to be the best, but score pretty well. should i expect a 4aa to run 4X as long as a zebralight?
2. neutral light
3. diffuser (i will buy a third party or accessory diffuser if it fits)
4. able to stand on it's own tail.
5. negligable standby drain.

please let me know any of your thoughts
-g

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,
help me choose a new light.
I have a zebralight sc51w neutral white and love it. The only main issue i have with this light is the runtime. less than 1 hour on high is not going to cut it for an application I need.

so here is what i am looking for in a new light in order of importance.

1. 4aa or 6aa (or even 8aa?). I need the long runtime. does not need to be the best, but score pretty well. should i expect a 4aa to run 4X as long as a zebralight?
2. neutral light
3. diffuser (i will buy a third party or accessory diffuser if it fits)
4. able to stand on it's own tail.
5. negligable standby drain.

please let me know any of your thoughts
-g

SX25A6

Just throwing one out there to start that seems to meet some of your requirements. 6aa, idk about vs. Zebra light, available in neutral, diffuser (& other filters etc.) available, taisltanda, "Zero current" standby, and my favorite features- switch acts like a forward clicky with momentary, and formed battery compartments in the body instead of a battery carrier. The only thing I don't like are those deep scalloped grips in the body.

www.eagletac.com/html/sx25a6/index.html

why use AA and not 18650?

And please phrase your reasoning for wanting AA's in terms that apply to mine & Andrew's preferences only!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman D40a (neutral white) is my favourite. 4xAA. Great build. Not my favourite UI, it's okay, but probably nice for those that like two-button UIs for easier mode-selection. (I prefer a single button, even if it's more complex.) Moonlight to about 1000 lumens, with good mode spacing. It throws pretty well, but also has good spill.

I hear the Thrunite TN4A (neutral) is very good value, as long as they have fixed the tight battery carrier problem. Again, 4xAA beer-can design.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

That depends. 4xAA with the same output as your zebralight then roughly yes. Most 4xAA will have much more output though, 4 times the output so runtime is about the same. It is a trade off.

That said, the stubbie 4xAA lights are great. Love them. I'd recommend a TN4A too.

gramps416

Newly Enlightened
And please phrase your reasoning for wanting AA's in terms that apply to mine & Andrew's preferences only!

reason for AA's has to do with convenience of charging. Plus i already have a powerex NIMH c9000, and don't have an 18650 charger.
it is tempting though. I am concerned about an 18650 charger price.

chuckhov

Enlightened
Gramps,

BEWARE!

Once you try 18650s you will be forever Sold on Them!

4xAA = 1x18650.

Get an Xtar or Nitecore charger and don't look back!

Thanks,
-Chuck
EDIT - All the Cool Kids are doing it! - Me too, and I'm 66:)

Last edited:

Andrew Storlie

Newly Enlightened
reason for AA's has to do with convenience of charging. Plus i already have a powerex NIMH c9000, and don't have an 18650 charger.
it is tempting though. I am concerned about an 18650 charger price.

sure you might have to INVEST in a charger but you can get a good charger and 4x18650s for a good price on amazon. using 18650s will let you have a smaller and brighter light. like chuckhov said, once you use 18650s you will be amazed at what they can do.

with li-ion batteries you only have a steep voltage drop at the end of the batteries life... (for good cells) but with alkaline (aaa,aa,c,d,9v... so on) you voltage is going to drop much faster over time causing your light do dim faster, if you want long run times.... 18650 is the ONLY way to go.

edit: under 50 bucks... this would be a great starter set and then you can always get higher mah batts later on. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD42IHA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

GlassMan

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nitecore EA41 - 1020 Lumens, excellent light, good battery time. I use it every night. I use the Panasonic Pro AA LSD batteries and no complants on this end. Just make sure it's the 2015 edition.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite TN4A in either CW or NW. The TN4A is thermally regulated and only steps down once it hits a certain temp. I have left both lights on turbo for over 45 minutes before and neither one stepped down (the step down temp is pretty high). I use 4x Eneloop Pro AA's and an Xtar VC4 charger with proper 2.1 amp wall wart. Ive got most of the 4xAA class of lights and the Thrunites not only are the cheapest but are also the best performers. If I can get them jacked to do full on turbo for over 45 minutes without them stepping down then they can easily do their 600 ish lumen high modes for longer. They dont have all the bells and whistles of the D40A or EA41 but they more than make up for it in sheer output and having above average thermal regulation. The built into the switch low voltage indicator is pretty sweet as well. TN4A also has excellent firefly mode. The NW is supposedly 7-10% less output but in my NW TN4A I cannot tell a difference in brightness from the CW at all. Both are true 1000+ lumen lights. Oddly neither light got "hot" when I left them on. VERY warm at most.