Worst luck

drummer132132

Enlightened
So far these past few weeks have not been good in terms of my flashlights. Recently I've been experiencing various issues of different degrees so I am here randomly telling my stories to vent.

I recently purchased an MM15vn, which is a fantastic light, I managed to overheat and destroy the driver so waiting for the fix on that. I was testing a new seek thermal on some lights I owned and for the MM15vn I pushed the limits a bit to far. It was my own fault. Lesson learned.

The second light and source of frustration was my TN36vn NW. I was charging the batteries and when finished I put the light back together as normal and somehow managed to mis-align the threads so I cannot get the light apart again to gain access to the batteries. I have no idea how I managed it but somehow I did. The light functions normally just no ability to get the batteries out so sending that in to be fixed.

The third light I'm now having issues with is my MX25L3C Nichia, which was supposed to be my most reliable light, has now lost its turbo and high modes. Everything else seems to be working fine with the UI but I do not have turbo or high modes. Any suggestions? What's funny was recently I decided to just pick a manufacturer that I liked the most and stick with that brand, which happened to be eagletac, and buy lights only from them which is funny because now I'm having issues with my only eagletac light. Hopefully the new UI of the MX30L3 will be more reliable since there is no twisty head to deal with.

As a side note I have to say that Vinhs lights are extremely good and just because they happen to be lights I'm having issues with doesn't mean it's a bad product. The destruction of the driver was my own fault for the MM15 and any tn36 could have mis-aligned with its threads. Felt the need to mention this mini disclaimer.

Any who I'm hoping everyone else is having better luck than me since this has all happened within a month or less time period.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadness. So many issues in such a short period.
Have you tried strap wenches on the tn36vn nw? Might be able to tourqe it lose and realign the threads.
As far as the nichia, clean contacts/threads and make sure batt is charged/good? Hope it's not a bad driver!
GL in your ventures and future lights man!

drummer132132

Enlightened
Sadness. So many issues in such a short period.
Have you tried strap wenches on the tn36vn nw? Might be able to tourqe it lose and realign the threads.
As far as the nichia, clean contacts/threads and make sure batt is charged/good? Hope it's not a bad driver!
GL in your ventures and future lights man!

Yes we tried those except for putting it in a vice. It is well and truly stuck haha.

Batteries are fully charged and I just cleaned the threads/contacts hoping it would fix the issue and it hasn't. Could be a driver issue not sure.

Amelia

Enlightened
Yes we tried those except for putting it in a vice. It is well and truly stuck haha.

Batteries are fully charged and I just cleaned the threads/contacts hoping it would fix the issue and it hasn't. Could be a driver issue not sure.

Probably not a driver issue. Take the head off the body. There are little brass "pins" that are sort of plunger-like (move in and out). These are what control mode switching when you turn the head. Clean them, and the mating surface thoroughly. Make sure they "push" in and out smoothly. Re-assemble.

drummer132132

Enlightened
Probably not a driver issue. Take the head off the body. There are little brass "pins" that are sort of plunger-like (move in and out). These are what control mode switching when you turn the head. Clean them, and the mating surface thoroughly. Make sure they "push" in and out smoothly. Re-assemble.

So my cleaning probably could be better then. What would you recommend in terms of cleaning? Do I use any kind of liquid or just a cleaning cloth?

Amelia

Enlightened
So my cleaning probably could be better then. What would you recommend in terms of cleaning? Do I use any kind of liquid or just a cleaning cloth?

I like cleaning with "Everclear" or denatured alcohol... dissolves most things, evaporates fast, doesn't harm plastics, doesn't leave much residue. For applying it, I use Q-Tips and eye makeup cotton balls... and paper towels.

drummer132132

Enlightened
I like cleaning with "Everclear" or denatured alcohol... dissolves most things, evaporates fast, doesn't harm plastics, doesn't leave much residue. For applying it, I use Q-Tips and eye makeup cotton balls... and paper towels.

Would "Klean-Strip" be a good choice for denatured alcohol?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You don't NEED it to BE denatured btw....all that process does is make it poisonous to avoid people drinking it....it doesn't make it clean any better.

Amelia

Enlightened
Would "Klean-Strip" be a good choice for denatured alcohol?

They're probably all about the same... "drinking" alcohol with added poison so you don't.
If you want the least amount of impurities/residue, buy "Everclear" at the liquor store. 95% grain alcohol, no impurities, but not as inexpensive as Denatured. Denatured is about $15 per gallon, Everclear is about $10 per pint.

drummer132132

Enlightened
It also says to dilute it with water. Not sure if that is correct for this purpose. Should I or should I not dilute it?

markr6

Flashaholic
They're probably all about the same... "drinking" alcohol with added poison so you don't.
If you want the least amount of impurities/residue, buy "Everclear" at the liquor store. 95% grain alcohol, no impurities, but not as inexpensive as Denatured. Denatured is about $15 per gallon, Everclear is about $10 per pint.

On a side note, I buy the generic brand for stove fuel when I'm backpacking. Works great! Not sold in 12 states or something like that!

drummer132132

Enlightened
So far no luck but I did manage to get rid of the squeak it used to make when changing modes haha.

I can get momentary max mode when holding down button during low and medium. I can get strobe mode with double click but cannot get the auxiliary modes at all.

Ladd

Enlightened
Isopropyl Alcohol is a cleaner of choice for electrical contacts. Used by technicians worldwide. Do not drink:huh:

Everclear......... hmmm...... seems a waste.......:shrug: but if that's your poison, same diff.

Be aware these are flammable and iso is unfriendly to the eyes. :eek:

markr6

Flashaholic
Isopropyl Alcohol is a cleaner of choice for electrical contacts. Used by technicians worldwide. Do not drink:huh:

Everclear......... hmmm...... seems a waste.......:shrug: but if that's your poison, same diff.

Be aware these are flammable and iso is unfriendly to the eyes. :eek:

Sorry OT but I have to share a quick story since you mentioned that and eyes. I was painting my ceiling years ago and some of the popcorn coating junk got in my eye. I went into the bathroom to flush it out with some contact solution. I reached for the bottle, leaned over the bathtub, and squirted some in my eye. It burned for some reason, so I quickly squirted some more thinking it was a temporary thing. Then I realized it was isopropyl alcohol!!! :ohgeez: I keep some in a contact solution bottle with big black "X"s all over it so I don't use it by mistake (they are handy bottles for dispensing a drop or a stream). Unfortunately, that wasn't enough warning.

You want one of the worst pains ever? There you go! Blowtorch to the eye and nothing you can really do about it. A quick drive to the ER and so on...

Stupid!! But I still keep that bottle :shrug: