Single RCR123 lights; are they going extinct??

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I originally subscribed to CPF, one of the big popular threads was about battery format and the most popular by far was single CR/RCR1123 lights. I didn't agree back then as I thought it was just a tad short, but now that is the format of light I love most since it goes unnoticed in a pocket and no single AA light comes even close to it in output/runtime ratio.

Nowadays, 18650 lights seem to be taking the spotlight and the ratio of lights using RCR123's is down so much I have a hard time finding one I am really interested in.

Thoughts? Recommendations? What's the main reason you prefer a specific EDC light format?

I definitely prefer 1XRCR123 lights because I want to use rechargeable batteries only, I want something discrete for EDC as I need a light on random days, but when I do it's an all-day thing, but I don't need to illuminate factory ceilings and landing strips.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've a pair of S10Rs using RCR and an quite fond of the performance. May get the newer Fenix PD25, I think too.

I've saw a few forecast their death knell but hasn't held water yet completely.

Edit to add, 18650 are my main light power sources, RCR are back up.

nbp

Flashaholic
1x(R)CR123 is my favorite size for EDC also. I have other sizes for other purposes but for general use I like them because they are small enough to be pocketable but have significantly more output than something AAA for example. Plus the light is still large enough to incorporate better switching mechanisms and more complicated electronics. Tiny lights end up being twisties often and something like 18650 is nice as a tasklight but for EDC it is just too large. CR123 is the best combination of all features.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I agree, and what about CR123 and CR2 powered lights? Those are my two favorite formats.

What I think we are seeing is we are in the age of the Chinese Moon lighter lights. A new light deign comes out of China every 15 minutes, like cell phones and cell phone cases.

Really, I love single cell small lights. I still keep some retina burners for going out at night, but to EDC CR123 and CR2 are the ones I like the most.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wide voltage 0.9-4.2v AA/14500 lights for me.

For equivalent power/capacity you still have the option of running 3V CRAA lithium primaries and 14500s have more capacity than 16340s. Of course, the "AA" format has the advantage in terms of safety, broad availability, chemistry options, battery-compatible gadgets, and in pinch, certain AA/14500 lights can be easily rigged to run on ANY battery (from 9V to 26650)

19017813140_92be2cde34_z.jpg

nimdabew

Enlightened
My PD22UE is my favorite EDC light. Small, unobtrusive, but bright enough to push into the darkness. I have to stop myself from getting more single cell lights even though they are my favorite size.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they will ever die. Now that the prices of LED tech has fallen, and led illumination sales has surged I think you have more of everything, so it just seems like you hear them less due to the crowded market.

As battery tech increases and their capacity increases they will be back, (if they even faded).

My favorite EDC size platform is CR123/18350.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I originally subscribed to CPF, one of the big popular threads was about battery format and the most popular by far was single CR/RCR1123 lights

I do remember that time. I had a hard time finding lights that I could get, because the cost of battery was crazy. I remember seeing a pair of CR2 going for 22 dollars. It never really took off over here, prices are still high and even rarer now that cameras don't need them

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that CR123 lights are somewhat on their way out. The thing is, in the past, they were 'go-to' lights for anyone wanting something stronger than what you could get from alkaline batteries. And given how weak alkaline batteries are, this wasn't too hard. But over the years, several things happened. NiMH batteries improved, allowing them to store more energy. Circuitry improved, allowing one and two NiMH cells to more efficiently power LEDs of greater and greater power. LEDs themselves get more efficient, allowing less energy to do more. And finally, other lithium formats (like 18650s and even 14500s) have surpassed RCR123s in terms of available energy storage. Given the fact that even single AA lights can do what RCR123 lights can do, AND that even 18650 lights have gotten fairly small (think SC62), the RCR123 (which is generally very low capacity) has lost LOTS of luster.

Of course, we have some pretty good RCR123 lights out there today (like the SC32). So I wouldn't say they are completely extinct. But the REAL thing holding them back is the battery. If RCR123s could improve significantly in capacity, then this just might make the format more appealing.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to see others are still using them. Some
posters I've saw want them dead and gone but I think there a place for them still.
As well, cameras help keep this market for cells alive.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
(R)CR123 lights hit the sweet spot for size in general use lights. Big enough for a nice reflector and a clicky that you can actually use. Still short enough for pocket carry. Some of my favorite lights are (R)CR123 or 18350 lights (MDW's MD1 or Oveready Moddoolar). The advances in leds makes this size light better - throwier or floodier depending on the led (same with tint) and generally more efficient than they used to be. Today's (R)CR123 lights keep the benefits of the size and are, in many ways, better than older (R)CR123 lights. There are places for AAA, AA and 18650 lights, but the (R)CR123 hits the sweet spot for size. A great size for taking the dog for a walk at night or when I'm going out and know that I'll need something to navigate in the dark.

Having said all this in praise of (R)CR123 lights, I keep an AAA light in my pocket all the time. Doesn't do everything, but it is small enough to keep in my pocket at work without looking funny. And I keep an 18650 in my car and another one in my backpack on weekends. But when I need a general use light - something more than my AAA - I usually grab a (R)CR123.

some of my favorites (the one on the left is a twisty 18650)

image.jpg

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to see I'm not alone.

I think there's on one side a fury for more power, which explains the flood of 18650 lights, and on the other side for readily available batteries. I have nothing against AA lights, I own a few and plan on purchasing some more AA Zebras -the only AA lights I like the size of- but I can't imagine a life without RCR123 lights. My collection went from bigger and more powerful to single RCR123 lights because that's what I really use the most.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Take a look at what HDS has done with plain jane Cr123's. They are now in the 300+ lumen range. Also Malkoff has done wonders with the CR123 platform. LED's are becoming more efficient day by day.

Bill

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick scan shows that Nitecore has at least one, the EC11. I am sure there are others as well. The MT10C shows IMR 18350, and since it is a 1000 lumen light, I don't think a regular RCR123 will cut it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
RCR123 format will always be popular. Perfect for pocket carry. Most 18650 are too big for me to carry in my pocket.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IMR 18350 was a serious threat to the 16340 format. But most lights that take a single 18350 are semi-custom or custom. Most mainstream mass makers don't offer a single 18350 light. The single CR123 lives on and I'm glad.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick scan shows that Nitecore has at least one, the EC11. I am sure there are others as well. The MT10C shows IMR 18350, and since it is a 1000 lumen light, I don't think a regular RCR123 will cut it.

I've been saying for a while that if you really need more than 500 lumens you're in deep snot or you are just using a flashlight as a tasklight. Not that I don't like thousand lumen lights, I love it, but the reality is that I just blind myself if I use that many lumens for an actual normal day task. 18350 could be a viable format though. I just need to get one and see how I like it... when they start making them more commonly.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I originally subscribed to CPF, one of the big popular threads was about battery format and the most popular by far was single CR/RCR1123 lights. I didn't agree back then as I thought it was just a tad short, but now that is the format of light I love most since it goes unnoticed in a pocket and no single AA light comes even close to it in output/runtime ratio.

Nowadays, 18650 lights seem to be taking the spotlight and the ratio of lights using RCR123's is down so much I have a hard time finding one I am really interested in.

Thoughts? Recommendations? What's the main reason you prefer a specific EDC light format?

I definitely prefer 1XRCR123 lights because I want to use rechargeable batteries only, I want something discrete for EDC as I need a light on random days, but when I do it's an all-day thing, but I don't need to illuminate factory ceilings and landing strips.
I used to only carry single AA lights years ago and then I tried a single 123 light- never going back to AA. Single 123 based lights are my favorite as well and thankfully, Zebralight is still keeping them in their lineup. 18650 lights are too bjg foe pocket carry, IMO.

If you don't already have a Zebralight SC32w, get one. Great little single 123 light- best I've ever used. Ditched my S10-L2 (which I carried for a year and a half, daily) for it.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight must think there is still a market for RCR123A powered lights, seeing as how they have recently announced the S1.