USB plugin light modules

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just opened the box 30 secs after FedEX got here!

I just rec'd a $12 5-pack of Soshine 1 watt (on high mode) SMDx6 mini plugin modules to go with my 18650x4 USB powerbank. It can run two of these modules at a time with no breakout/hub.

These things are touch-on, touch-off, and touch-hold for dimming! So cool! I'm sort of in love at first use. MFR suggests that they can also be used as keychain fobs, but I worry about ESD. Still, got a 5 pack so I won't cry if one dies. One is going on the keyring. :) They could have put a housing on it, but they didn't. Bare board, double-sided plugin... plug it in either way. Cool!

No optics, mule flood only. Tint is fairly neutral on mine, didn't find the "warm" version, or I would have gotten those.

Also: No teardown is required for emitter swap. :) You just rip right into it, it's a bare board. Looks very moddable.

I also rec'd a hackable Drok USB mah/amp/volt meter so I can know everything about how much juice the module is eating. Will definitely combine it with the Soshine modules to really put them through their paces.

Looks like it's going to be a really fun combo.

So what's CPF's fave USB led plugins? These are my first plugin modules, but definitely won't be my last.

markr6

Flashaholic
I've been seeing this online but I have no idea what they're for. What would a typical application be? Reading light powered by USB battery pack? Camping nightlight? I'm not being sarcastic; I just can't think of many uses...but I want some anyway!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, mark, do we need a practical application? :)

I find it interesting that the Soshine module absolutely stomps all over the iPhone light. :)

When traveling, I pack a smartphone and a power bank. I absolutely love lights and these things are tiny and compact. I'd been kicking around the idea of modding the powerbank to be a flashlight, then I found the Soshine modules. 100% easier.

Camping nightlight, you say? Yeah! Dimmable, they'd be great for that! 18650x4 power bank should run these things for days and days on the lower modes. 1 watt at high, or so. They'd make a great reading light. They give a nice flood and should light up a fully dark room really well.

I'll know more after playing with the Drok meter tonight.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol Fritz, it won't hurt much! $12. :) Plus, you probably already have a USB hub lying around somewhere. :)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much love at first sight for me. I've had $12 of fun already and it's not even night yet! :)

Lowest mode is pretty low, we shall see if they qualify for "vampire" status. :)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, I did zero shopping. It was straight to "shut up and take my money!!" :)

markr6

Flashaholic
I saw some on Amazon that almost look to small to handle!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think these will make handy lil light sources. Almost everything has a USB port these days. I even have a couple of HID lights with USB charging ports so I'm thinking these will make decent aux lights for them.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TV has USB in the back. These could provide soft background lighting with the room lights out.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a USB extension, could slide these into hard to reach places.
Using old phn chargers as night lights.
My alarm clock has a charge port, if it's dim enough, another night light.
Effect lighting on any number of A/V devices....
The list goes on.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, this is very very intesesting!

There seems to be a conflict in my Mophie power bank with 2 USB outputs! When I connect the USB Drok amp/etc meter inline to a Soshine module, the module loses modes and dimming! Very interesting! It all goes crazy when I have one module with the Drok and the other port has a Shoshone module. Both lose dimming feature in this config!

highest amp reading I got with the drok on a Shoshone module was .5 amps, shame on them! :)

On the plus side, OMG! At long last I have finally found the Silent Hill shirt pocket flashlight!!!!! N

Its two Soshine modules in a Mophie power bank. It works in the shirt pocket just like Silent Hill!!
Brb, getting katana, rock drill, and gasoline!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crank up two soshine modules to max, that's better than a smartphone light! Beats it by a long shot with that huge mule flood!

Not 1 watt, lol! Still rocks!

We got ourselves a mod board boys!!!

CPF, TEAR INTO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, typo. If the Drok is to be believed it was .05 watts on max per board. It's 5v in.
Current boost time! Edit: first module I tried was defective and dim. Rest are fine.

One module on lowest doesn't register on the Drok meter and it's just fine for reading.

Two on high is overkill for house navigation, but great for navigating my darkened warehouse lair. They don't go low enough for fully night adapted vision, but the drain is super low, fas as I can tell. Edit: the dud .05 watt board is almost night-adapted vision levels. Kinda like it actually.

Tint on mine is a touch cold, should have gotten the warms, plus side now I have 5 mod boards. Noted a big brightness variation on the 5 I have. .700 watts-.955 watts on high.

Summary: I am in love. I finally have the Silent Hill light!

Last edited: