MT-G2 Thrunite T10T Ti "Micro Sunbeam"

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

After developing the sunbeam, I decided to create a small sidekick that would function as a "backup" light, this is one of my latest builds in super small super bright flashlights (Smaller, brighter, better :devil: )

My favourite LED emitter by far has been the 4000K MT-G2, its uniform circular appearance, nice tint and of course whopping lumens makes it an ideal light for flooding a room with light

So I thought of making an even smaller light, just to see how small an MT-G2 light can be, I also wanted something exotic and well maintable, I've recently taken a liking for titanium lights, since it maintains its appearance well (it can be sanded and polished) and it just looks nice (Titanium :thumbsup: )

After some searching around, I found a nice light that I could potentially mod, the Thrunite T10T

1.jpg

This light has many good reviews everywhere, in sort, the one I got from the thrunite store is spec-ed as follows:

T10T Ti
- OP NW XP-G2 (I think 3c), 169 lumens with AA, 400-500 with 14500
- High, Medium, Moonlight (memory after 3 seconds)
- 1 X 1.5V AA Battery (0.9-3V range)
- Titanium (G4?), 93.5mm x 19mm, 37.4g
- Tailstand dual switch interface, reverse clicky / twisty

After playing with the light for a few days, began to start gathering parts around to mod the light, first thing to do was to find out how to open the light, I was prepared to inflict light scratches and scuffs on it, being titanium, it can be sanded and polished away, unlike anodized aluminum, which must be re-anodized

Taping both the head and the bezel with lots of painters tape, it was easily opened with 2 pilers grabbing on to them, I somehow still managed to scratch the head, but it was polished off, I didn't see any red or green thread locker so it might just be a normal locking compound

Opening the head reveal a tiny (10mm?) led on a aluminum star, reflector removed (the LED pictured is NOT a XP-G2, but a Osram 4000k 92 cri reflowed for "testing" purposes :crackup: )

2.jpg

I wasn't even sure if the MT-G2 could even fit into such a small space, so I sanded down the star until its essentially just the LED remaining, in the background is a comparison between a 16mm XHP-50 and a 18mm triple nichia 219a

3.jpg

Next up, sanding of a special reflector, the stock reflector cannot be used due to design and the wires will get pressed against the bottom, leaving a gap, for reference the reflector I used to make the MT-G2 reflector was taken from a Brass 18650 (its currently using a TIR optic, hence the spare reflector, its design allows it to be sanded down to fit and it will sit flush against the LED with space for the wires)

4.jpg

The next headache (and probably the most important of all) was to get a driver to run the whole thing, the space under the light was so small, I had to sand and remove 6 chips from a 105c QLITE driver and stack another 3 chips, one on an existing and another 2 via small wires for a grand total of 6 chips (2.2a), there is simply NO MORE SPACE for any additional chips, decided this would be temporary and uneeded, a 12mm FET is on the way :crackup:

5.jpg

How was I able to power everything? Using 2 x 14250 battery, like these guys here, a 14250 battery is roughly half the size of a 14500, at 300mah each, about the same capacity as a 10440 battery

6.jpg

Last but not least, I didn't really like reverse clicky switches, so I set out to find a way to convert the reverse clicky to a forward clicky. I managed to sand a normal forward clicky switch down to the same diameter as the original reverse clicky, attach a small wire from one of the metal plates inside to the bottom of the switch and soldered a small spring to it, put everything back together, it seems to work fine, however, due to either the design or my switch "retrofit", there were gaps (button can't click) and some shorting of batteries, due to the batteries touching the back of the light against the switch, pushing it backwards, after much experimentation, I put a piece of o-ring and a cut out paper with a hole for the spring at the back of the light, ensuring the battery does not touch the metal surface

7.jpg

And finally.. the completed light, the amount of light it produces for its size is unbelievable, it is even brighter then my triple osram, its a nearly full flood beam with a very large hotspot, which is perfect for lighting up the whole area, guestimate lumens would be about 800-1000-ish lumens on high (1500+ when 12mm 6v guppydrv FET driver comes in)

8.jpg

beam.jpg

Stock clip has been replaced by a (mcgizmo?) ti clip

9.jpg

10.jpg

Light now joins the "sunbeam" family, a Download Pocket Rocket Ti (2 x 18350, 18x7135 guppydrv, 3000 lumen XHP-50) "Sunbeam" and a Sunwayman V10R Ti (1 X 16340, guppydrv 8x7135 Triple Osram 4000K 92cri) "Mini Sunbeam"

11.jpg

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow ghos, that is an excellent mod! Are the 14250 batteries IMR's?

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Yes they're IMR 300mah 14250s from Mountain, the ones pictured are normal li-ions I used for testing, the ones inside are blue, forgot to take photo

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an interesting build. I like small powerful lights, and this definitely falls into this category! You'll have to update us when the new driver comes in.

~D

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awsome light! I wouldn't mind having one. I just ordered a xhp50 p60 from Mountain, hoping to be around 2000 otf which is plenty for me. I have decided that smaller lights with insane output is more impressive than a large light with 3k-4k lumens and I will carry smaller lights more.

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Awsome light! I wouldn't mind having one. I just ordered a xhp50 p60 from Mountain, hoping to be around 2000 otf which is plenty for me. I have decided that smaller lights with insane output is more impressive than a large light with 3k-4k lumens and I will carry smaller lights more.

It will definitely be at least 2000 if your p60 is driven hard enough, my download pocket rocket is easily doing 3k lumens, truth be told, I could have fitted in a XHP-50 into the T10T instead, it will be significantly brighter, not to mention much easier to fit since the die is much smaller and will result in a tighter hotspot, but I just love the look of the gold circle MT-G2 in front of the reflector, and of course that awesome 4000k tint (which is surprisingly close eye to eye in tint to the osram 4000k 92 cri)

ghos

Newly Enlightened
This is an interesting build. I like small powerful lights, and this definitely falls into this category! You'll have to update us when the new driver comes in.

~D

Driver is on the way now.. though at such high drain and low capacity of the cells this light is more of a proof of concept rather then a practical light, still, its fun to light up an entire room with something so small you can hide in the palm of your hand :crackup::crackup:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great build. I had always thought about what sort of crazy project would come of those 14250 IMR batteries from MTN

jso902

Enlightened
What's the run time? I can barely get 5 mins off of a mtg2 on 2 18350s at 3 amps.

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Hmm I have not actually tested it, but this light will definitely be much less then yours being a smaller battery, 18350s are capable of 700mah, 14250s are less then half of that.. Give it a few minutes max, more for short bursts not continously

On lower modes it might last longer, definitely not on high at 3amps anyway, it will create way too much heat it might de-solder itself.. and titanium so well..

What's the run time? I can barely get 5 mins off of a mtg2 on 2 18350s at 3 amps.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I debated what to have my xhp50 drove at and decided 3.04. I could have gone up to 4 amps and been assured 2k otf but I decided I didn't want it drove so hard that I wouldn't have much in the way of runtime due to lack of battery capacity and the heat generated. The crash test I saw done on an xhp50 resulted in a shade over 2200 at 3 amps so I would say I will be between 1800 and 2k otf as the test led was mounted on a large cooper heat sink with a cooling fan. Either way I believe I will be pleased as its still a lot of light out of small light and will impress everyone I know. My next p60 will be one of Vinh's p60t's with triple xpl's

ghos

Newly Enlightened
I used one of those contact boards filed down to fit the diameter of the opening below the threads, it allows it to sit flush against the lip, soldered a small spring for the positive lead and filed a small corner to allow the negative lead to go through and solder on to.

1138202-1.jpg

If you insulate the back of the board and found a way to stick in it you could probably retain the twisty functionality :laughing:

did you use the stock contact board?

ghos

Newly Enlightened
FET driver has arrived, insulating of the driver is needed as it is floating in the head, was able to wire the driver in without taking out the led
Being flashed with the guppydrv firmware, the light is able to use one of 22 mode groups, for this light, I have set it to 100 – 25 – 2 without memory
Light is now totally usable and practical is now my daily EDC :laughing: