The 'LED Torch' from ebay

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The \'LED Torch\' from ebay

I finally got my light today, pretty much right on cue for when I expected it.

It came in a plastic bag with a very small and brief instruction slip and three "AA" batteries. No warranty is shown, and there isn't even the slightest hint as to who the manufacturer is. The rubber has a funny odor to it like it's been half buried in an herb garden or in some kind of odiferous sawdust all summer. It is not at all unpleasant, but it is noticeable if you get the flashlight body within a few inches of your face.

Total light output is slightly less than a Photon II with brand spanking new batteries (the ceiling/dark room test) and the beam is somewhat wider than that of a Photon. The beam is just slightly diffused with a funny lens, and this gives it a slightly broader, more even beam than other LED flashlights. The elongated lens captures some of the waste light and glows with it; some people may find this objectionable, in which case a little black Krylon or some electrician's tape will provide a quick and dirty fix.

The flashlight body is hard plastic with a rubber covering. The rubber has a tight "ribbed" texture which gives the light a comfortable, secure feel in the hand.

The blink function blinks the light at a rate of approximately 2.2Hz, which is much more useful than the 0.4Hz typical of the PAL Gold.

The LEDs are definitely Nichia, and are probably NSPW500BS of recent manufacture.
They are driven below "hot" levels (which is why they are dimmer than other flashlights) but one effect this should have is give you decent battery life.

Dashing the flashlight to the floor did not seem to harm it in any way; however some posted "test results" state that the outer regions of the lens assembly will crack and eventually break off when abused in this manner, but this will generally not affect the overall functionality of the flashlight.

Now here's the good part: this light has not one but two sharp metal contacts coming up from the base, and the LED board already has deep gouges in the outer solder ring from them!
An easy fix for anyone who knows how to use a soldering iron, but for those who don't, this is a possible failure mechanism to watch for.

I will start a new page for this light this week (probably some initial results and pictures tonight) so I'd better get going. http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/torch.htm
It's not up yet (as of 4pm PST) but check back in a few hours.
smile.gif

I also have another new product (listen up ravers) for which I'll start a new topic to post about it.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The \'LED Torch\' from ebay

Hey telephony, this light sounds interesting, to bad about the cutting wear. I wonder how she would perform with lithium batts. I have run them in a PLW type and it was noticeably brighter, more expensive of course. Look forward to the reveiw
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 12-21-2000 at 05:20 PM</font>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: The \'LED Torch\' from ebay

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenB:
Hey telephony, this light sounds interesting, to bad about the cutting wear. I wonder how she would perform with lithium batts. I have run them in a PLW type and it was noticeably brighter, more expensive of course. Look forward to the reveiw
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, let's see if I can find my Turtlelite II and steal its lithiums. (searching... searching... ) after a late-week burglary, most of what I own is just buried, so this could take a few minutes. (tick, tick, tick....) Found Turtlelite.002 - unloading...
OK... it's a little brighter with lithiums, but not much. The driver circuit regulates LED current to some degree or other, so a few tenths of a volt aren't going to do much good here.

At best, battery life will be extended somewhat (to what degree remains unknown) and the flashlight will be a little lighter in weight.

Erosion of the LED board is going to be a far greater issue than light output or battery life. I will keep an eye on this puppy and follow its degradation curve.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------