ARC AA Vs AAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the pros and cons of these two lights when compared?

I'm thinking of getting one for the house and occasional carry for me. So I'm leaning towards the AA.

The other will be for the wife to carry on her keychain, so I'm leaning towards the AAA.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AA will last approx 10 hours before going into moon mode... the AAA will last approx 5 hours before going into moon mode.

Other than that the form factor and battery choice may help make the decision for you.

Thanks.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the AAA would be the best choice for a keychain, and the AA for the house. I have both, and the AA seems too big for keychain duty, but does very nicely around the house. The main pros and cons of both are really weight and size, and beamcolor depending on your task.

-Mike

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. AAA for keychain, AA for the house.:)

Mattman

Enlightened
Even though it looks like you made your decision already, I'll throw this in for anyone else: The only downside I see in the AA for EDC is that if your pants are on the tight side and you carry it in your pocket, you may notice it there. A lot of people don't notice it, but it is considerably bigger than the AAA. There's no big difference in the brightness or beam pattern of my AA and AAA, so I wouldn't worry about that part too much. If you're one of those people that also notices the aesthetic side of things, you'll find intriguing things about each light - AAA is tiny and precise, while the AA feels finely crafted and has a great feel in terms of size/weight and finish. I think you'll enjoy them both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy both!
Besides the war chant of CPF, they both work at different things.
The AA is great for lithium battery use although AAA lithiums are coming out in August. AA batteries have 2.3 times the capacity of AAA cells so you can expect at least 2.3 times the run time. Since the AAA and AA batteries cost the same, cost per hour is more than half the cost for the AA.
AA batteries are available world-wide so...if that is in your job description...the AA would be better suited for travel. When bouncing around in some parts of the world, the AA's longer run time would be welcomed as I wear mine with a lanyard in that situation.
Throw an AAA on the keychain and the AA on a lanyard to fulfill the buy both CPF law. My AA is on the keychain and it's size does not bother me. If you have less than 10 keys on your keychain, the size could be bothersome.
Overall, the AAA is the king of the keychains and the AA works well for world travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.