Getting used to the Arc4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
People should start getting the first of the new Arc4s today. Since this is a fairly different from our previous models, there are new things to learn about using it. The more people use the light and the longer it is out in the wild, the more we learn about typical usage, etc.

Here's some stuff I have gleaned so far (thanks in part to your feedback):

- When changing the battery, remove the battery compartment and not the tail cap. Removing the tail cap is fine, but the battery compartment is even better. This will keep any parts from falling out and keep junk less likely to get inside the switch system. Removing the battery compartment will also give you a oppratunity to check the lip of the battery compartment to make sure it is clean. The first batch of instructions said, "tail cap" but I fixed that for the next batch.

Why are the parts loose in the tail cap? So they can be serviced. Mechanical things do fail and sometimes you just don't have the option of replacing a part out in the field. With servicable parts, you are more likely to be able to get the switch working again until you get back home.

- Keep the lip of the battery compartment clean. This ring of aluminium contacts the ground ring on the PCB. I have found that grease from the threads can get on this contact and prevent the light from making full power with some batteries.

- We shipped the first shipment with the batteries in the light. At least one package arrived glowing. Just like we do with the LSH, we are going to start shipping the Arc4 with the battery removed.

- Remember, there is a lens protector on the lens. You can remove this if you want.

- You probably don't need full power all the time. I recommend setting your primary at a lower level like say 3 or 4. You still have full power just a button press away and your battery life will be much better with this setting.

Have fun with your new light!

Peter

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the heat of the Arc4+ melt or bubble up the protective lens cover?

jpeg

Enlightened
It's can't... The Arc4 has a built in temperature sensor that steps the brightness level back when it gets too hot.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
can you show us ( for those who dont have it) where the batt. cmprtmnt unscrews? on all the pix, I just see the switch..TIA

Darell

Flashaholic
Mr. Blue - If you hold the body in one hand and the head in the other hand - it unscrews at the proper joint. It is just like the LS lights that have come before. No rocket science here. Removing the switch cap is quite a bit more difficult, so you have to really WANT to take the switch off. You likely won't do it mistakenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.