Multi LED's vs Single

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Hey guys, how does the lumen thing work with Multi LED's vs a single? Is a tri led running at 200 lumens each just as bright as a single running at 600 lumens? Could be a dumb question, I would think 2x3 is 6 but I'm not sure how it shows up visually.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
it all depends on the emitter and the reflector(s). Max lumens nowadays are done multi emitter as even the most stout XM-L2 U4 is only good for say up to 1200 lumens thats as hard as it can be pushed hence lights like the TK75 with 3 and now 4 XM-L2 U2's each pushing 1000 lumens. Another example of emitter and lumen power is how you use said lumen power. Take the TK61 for instance. It is a HUGE light with a single emitter 1000 lumens for a solid hour it has crazy throw range due to the single HUGE reflector it uses. The TK75 despite the big head has now 4 smaller reflectors one for each emitter and despite being 4000 lumens it only kicks 102000 candela. Crees technical info page is a great source of info. Max lumens per specific emitter is all there from old XM-L's to new XM-L2 U4's and the XP-L. They are highly efficient now with the de dome craze one can do much more with less lumens or make 1000 lumens that could only do X before be able to do spill and crazy throw now.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
..........Is a tri led running at 200 lumens each just as bright as a single running at 600 lumens?.........
Ya, 600 lumens is 600 lumens, however the 3 LEDs will not be focused like a single LED in a single reflector. Thus the 3 LED's will look more floody. I don't think it makes economic sense to have 3 LEDs at a level that is below their capability........just use one LED in that case. So most lights that use 3 LEDs is because they are trying to get more lumens out than can be done by a single LED.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, how does the lumen thing work with Multi LED's vs a single? Is a tri led running at 200 lumens each just as bright as a single running at 600 lumens? Could be a dumb question, I would think 2x3 is 6 but I'm not sure how it shows up visually.

All I know is what goes out the front and in the end, is reflected back to my eyes. It's all about the math.

ec077.jpg

Nitecore TM16.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since lumens is a measurement of the total amount of light being emitted, yes, the output of multiple leds adds. As CelticCross74 was stating, a more relevant measurement is candelas, which is a measurement of how much light is falling on a given object. The more candelas, the brighter the reflected light, and logically, the further away it can be seen. Candelas are mainly a function of the reflector/lens setup used by the light. As an example, yesterday I compared the beam from my trusty TM11 and my new TM16, at roughly the same lumen output of 2000 lumens. The four reflectors used in the TM16 produce a much tighter beam than the three used in the TM11. The result, a smaller, brighter hot spot in the center of the beam. That is one of the reasons we are always calling for comparison beam shots when a new light appears.

texas cop

Enlightened
Given a fixed amount of current 3 leds will put out more lumens than the 1 led. Example a Cree XM-L2 U2 puts out 469 lumens at 1 amp so three running at one amp each would collectively put out 1407 lumen. A single Cree XM-L2 U2 at three amps put out only 1123 lumens. Flip side is that with a given head size more emitters equals more flood less throw.

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Ok thanks a lot guys. Very good replays.
So, In the end, multi LED's is for a flood, that's what I figured. I just bought a custom angle light for pure flood. Decided to go with triple led's with a wide angle carclo lends. And boy is it a flood machine, when I saw it, I was like now that! Is flood. Thanks guys.