Peak Beam Intensity? How was it derived?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the peak beam intensity from light manufacturers have me wondering how they derived the output. Was it measured at 1 meter? 5 meters? Or maybe 10 meters? Is there a standard for measurement of candela and peak beam distance that we can be sure the promised numbers are accurate from manufacturer to manufacturer? What is the testing requirements based on ANSI-NEMA FL-1 standards?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... Is there a standard for measurement of candela and peak beam distance that we can be sure the promised numbers are accurate from manufacturer to manufacturer?

We can't even get manufacturer-to-manufacturer accuracy/consistency for lumens or runtime.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this link doing a Google search.
Thank you. This is interesting. I wonder if all the manufacturers are taking the readings at start up or after 3 minutes of startup for the output to stabilize after battery resistance cuts in? That will make a real difference, maybe not much but still a difference in the actual throw.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
We can't even get manufacturer-to-manufacturer accuracy/consistency for lumens or runtime.
That's true. And that's why I am posting this thread to see if anyone knows for certain how these manufacturers got their readings.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. This is interesting. I wonder if all the manufacturers are taking the readings at start up or after 3 minutes of startup for the output to stabilize after battery resistance cuts in? That will make a real difference, maybe not much but still a difference in the actual throw.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From the linked site:

Light Output

Total lumens of output, measured in an integrating sphere after the light has been on for 30-120 seconds. 30 seconds gives a little time for the LED to get hot and the battery voltage to sag which will usually result in a lower output number.

Runtime

The amount of continuous runtime (in minutes) until the light output drops to 10% of its original value (measured 30 seconds after turning the light on).
This test is done using the batteries included with the flashlight.[1] If no batteries are included, the test is done using the manufacturer-recommended batteries.[1]
The test is done in an integrating sphere just like the lumen test with light output measured every 15 minutes. 10% of brightness probably gives inflated runtime numbers. In the past, some testers used 50% to be a little more practical, but with most batteries, the drop-off is usually pretty quick and the time between 50% and 10% usually is not long.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgive me. I'm a simple mind and can only go by printed standards. I'm also of the simple mind that when I turn a flashlight on, does it make me smile or do what I expect it to do. Last night I was out walking in the mountains with only the aid of a headlamp (a flooder was in the back pocket) and when I turned the headlamp off, the dark slammed down like thunder. The point, I use the light as it's the light that lights the way, not specifications. Between the dark and the headlamp, I was very pleased with what I was being shown. Besides my mind, what am I missing?

Disclosure; using a freshly charged Orbtronic 3400 mAh 18650 battery.

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened
What difference does it really make? When people want absolute values they will always be wrong. LEDs from the same batch very as do batteries. Car enthusiasts compare statistics all day long and end up at dead ends because drivers are involved in performance. According to stats my car will do 0-60 in 5 seconds with a top end of 147 MPH. Will I ever really know what my particular car will do? Not likely. Do I care? No, it's fast enough for anything I would do. That is exactly how I feel about nitpicking my lights and I have them up to $550 (McGizmos). I have an original PD35 and it does what I want with an acceptable beam, do I care how many lumens it puts out .......NO! My McGizmos are not high powered according to many but they are rock solid and do what I expect. I value quality and endurance. Give me reliability any day of the week. :D I often carry a ZL SC62W and find the beam very nice. But those are McGizmos in my avatar. ;)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you guys. To be honest, peak beam intensity and what not has never bothered me in the past until only recently when I decided to acquire a throw light and I would like to know which throw light throws better. The only way for me to know is acquiring the candela ratings but then that is not the entire geese of the game. I realized that even if a manufacturer were to rate the light at say 500 meters, are we looking at useful 500 meters worth of light, or are we looking at just a mere fraction of the entire light output at 500 meters? Remember the inverse square laws?

Well, I bought myself a Nitecore TM16 rated for 700 meters throw. On paper it sounds cool. In actual use it is kind of underwhelming. The beam intensity and brightness is probably good maybe up to 300 or 400 meters, and I mean good enough to see something and make out the details. Anything beyond that I would be lucky even if I can make out the shapes. Then I started wondering what I will get if I am using some of those single LED lights with a huge and deep reflector? You know, to really focus the beam into a spot? That was what prompted me to start searching around, and hence the more I read up the lesser I thought I know. There are just so many variables involved! The reflectance value of the objects that we are shining upon, the color, presence of ambient light, reflector design, actual light output hitting the object and so on. The question is, for someone with a limited budget and could probably acquire only one throw light, how can he be sure it is exactly what it claim it is? Manufacturer's claims don't always translate to useful data which we can count on for practical and real world usage because numbers always sells. Just like a higher lumen rating always sell better than a lower one.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
If wanting a throw light, checkout a ThruNite TN32 or a Fenix TK61. From what I've read, they're both made to be throwers.

Beam shots, scroll to middle of review.

I hope the above links to reviews help you with your selection.

Disclosure: I'm the dullest tack in the box. :p Hopefully, someone who knows what they're going on about will help you with your quest.

Last edited: