My first Thrunite lights

Sheriff420

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a few lights
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q3VF7BC/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUO028U/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00143JZ08/?tag=cpf0b6-20
and now I wait.

I was thinking about getting the Thrunite TN12 (2016) but the TN11S V2 seems like a better light.

My best thrower is my 2D LED Maglite with the 2nd gen LED, at least I think it's the 2nd gen because my first LED Maglite had a much bigger dome on the bulb and like 1/4 the light output.
My best pocket light is a Surefire Lx2 Lumamax.
The Maglite is much brighter than the Surefire but the Surefire is pocket friendly. I'm wanting the Surefire size with the brightness of the Maglite, hopefully the Thrunite will live up to my expectations.

I got the Streamlight for a friend that wants the one I have, that thing is great for hands free light because of the hat clip and I like that it uses one AAA battery.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maglite is much brighter than the Surefire but the Surefire is pocket friendly. I'm wanting the Surefire size with the brightness of the Maglite, hopefully the Thrunite will live up to my expectations.

Congratulations and good luck with your expectations being met. I'm not a fan of MagLite. I figure, unless being used for self-defense, the two or three cell MagLites don't fit my needs. I'm not LE. Our son, who is, is happy with older JETBeams as he says on low, they don't burn out the paper. If you don't need to carry a MagLite, in my opinion, the Nitecore EC4 is the middle ground between a large flooder and a pocket EDC light.

Last edited:

Sheriff420

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore has a few lights that I was checking out but threads on here talking about quality issues made me raise an eyebrow. The one comment that mentioned that Nitecore is the most complained about brand as far as issues is what made me stop looking at them.

The D cell Maglite either stays in my truck or at the house, I don't carry it around because it's big and heavy but the batteries last a long time. That's the light I get when the power goes out because if you stand it up on its tail then it'll light up the living room as well as any lamp with the light that bounces off the ceiling.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore has a few lights that I was checking out but threads on here talking about quality issues made me raise an eyebrow. The one comment that mentioned that Nitecore is the most complained about brand as far as issues is what made me stop looking at them.

The D cell Maglite either stays in my truck or at the house, I don't carry it around because it's big and heavy but the batteries last a long time. That's the light I get when the power goes out because if you stand it up on its tail then it'll light up the living room as well as any lamp with the light that bounces off the ceiling.

In my opinion the thread about the quality of Nitecore is not the best indication of their performance. It is based off of the history of Nitecore from 2008-2012 where they had many QC issues with different light series and as a result earned a reputation for being suspect when it comes to getting a good quality light. However what that thread fails to adequately provide is data on the newer generation lights where they have been focusing on their overall quality. Since 2014 their quality control has been much better and I have seen fewer issues each year as well. I think I've seen 2 new threads so far this year about people having issues with their lights.

I will also add that I don't stick to a particular brand; I have some Nitecore lights as well as Zebralight just depending on how I will use them. I will say some of the Thrunite lights have had flaky switches recently which is why I have avoided them for the time being. If I were you I would give the Nitecore a look as they have a lot to offer for good prices. Also Olight makes some excellent lights with good throw and if you want to go the customer route Vn on this forum is the way to go.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm happy with Nitecore products. Does that make me wrong? Look over the web and see what others, outside of CPF have to post regarding their thoughts on Nitecore products. Does that make them wrong? My point, based on reviews outside of CPF, tells me the complaints against Nitecore on CPF are way overblown when compared to complaints about other product lines, be they automobiles, baby car seats or politicians. It doesn't make the complainants wrong, but based on the number of positive reviews to be found online outside of CPF, does make number of complaints found here to be overblown.

To be sure, I wouldn't hesitate to add a TN32 (nice fill/long throw) to my stable but there's the wife factor of I already have too many flashlights. And to be fair, three were recently purchased this June/July. :p

Last edited:

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a few lights
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q3VF7BC/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUO028U/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00143JZ08/?tag=cpf0b6-20
and now I wait.

I was thinking about getting the Thrunite TN12 (2016) but the TN11S V2 seems like a better light.
I just got my first Thrunites in the mail, too!! Picked up the Ti4 penlight for use at work. Got the stainless version of the Ti3 (the TiS), which is actually my favorite light for some reason. Probably because the stainless threads are soooo smooth!! My buddy has a similar light in titanium, and his threads have turned to garbage... he's lucky to be able to get it to turn on at all, much less change modes.

And I was looking at the Microstream, but I ended up getting the Pelican 1910 instead. Just two modes and runs off one AAA battery, as well. Only problem for me is that it's pretty large for just one AAA battery. I might return it and look for a Thrunite or Eagletac in AA size.

I was looking for lights with strong pocket clips, and the Ti4 and 1910 most definitely fit the bill. The pocket clip on the Ti3/TiS is a joke, but luckily it's just a pocket light. Still the one I'm most impressed with, however.

I'm also looking for a compact thrower and was looking at some ~$110 lights, but the TN11S is half that price and virtually the same specs in single 18650 mode, so I might as well pick one of those up, as well. Thanks for the tip!

P.S. - Nitecore and Thrunite are my two favorite brands now. :)

Last edited:

Sheriff420

Newly Enlightened
I guess Nitecore is back on the list of things to take my paycheck away from me again.
I just looked up the TN32 and the beam distance caught my eye, I want one now.

What do ya'll think about Ultrafire BRC 18650 3000mAh batteries? They say that they're protected so that's a plus but they are made by a low brand. I don't know who makes my other 18650s, all the others are for e-cigs and a few of those are flat tops so I won't be using any of them in flashlights.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why play Russian roulette with cheap batteries? The TN32 does not require high-draw batteries, so I would go with the "Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh" selling right now at MtnElectronics.com for $10.15. It hits the sweet spot in terms of price, capability, and capacity. It is rated for a continuous 10A draw.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had no trouble with any of the ****fire line of batteries but the general feeling is, stay away from these batteries.

The accepted balance point are Panasonic's batteries.

Yes, the TN32 is looking mighty good and despite being a ThruNite product, in my opinion, the TN32 will look mighty good with the rest of our Nitecore collection. :)

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess Nitecore is back on the list of things to take my paycheck away from me again.
I just looked up the TN32 and the beam distance caught my eye, I want one now.

What do ya'll think about Ultrafire BRC 18650 3000mAh batteries? They say that they're protected so that's a plus but they are made by a low brand. I don't know who makes my other 18650s, all the others are for e-cigs and a few of those are flat tops so I won't be using any of them in flashlights.

I would stay away from those batteries and go with the Panasonic batteries recommended. You never want to risk a lithium venting and much research has been done to show the questionable nature of the ultrafire and other ****fire batteries.

Sheriff420

Newly Enlightened
I got mail today. I'm impressed with both flashlights. I was surprised at how much light the little one puts out for being so tiny.
The big one is now my brightest light. I had an issue with it and I think it was one of the batteries. I had the extension tube on and the light cut off after about a minute on high then wouldn't turn back on. I unscrewed the tail cap and put it back on then I was back in business. The second time I lost power I took the extension tube off and ran it on high for about 10 minutes and it didn't cut off so I guess it was the other battery causing the issue.

The Ultrafire batteries that I have came with an Ultrafire WF-502b that I got a while back when I took a chance on buying straight from Hong Kong.

I knew that Panasonic was the way to go when it came to lithium batteries so I'll be ordering some. I need to order some Eneloop and some RCR123 batteries while I'm at it for all my other lights.

Latest posts