• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Anyone got a spare R2H around?

jtice

Flashaholic
I have been looking for one alos for my Arc Grey kit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

These got real hard to find.
Along with those darn 5Wers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
All these cool projects, and no way to finish them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good luck

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a hunch, but it feels like Lumileds will be dropping the 1W Luxeon line entirely now that the 3W ones are out. Why? Because an underdriven LuxIII can handle pretty much the same tasks that a 1W part would have.

As for the 5W, they really do seem scarce. My guess is that Lumileds is clearing the pipeline to make way for a new emitter. My guess is it'll be a 12W emitter consisting of four 3-watters, just as the 5W part consists of four 1-watters. Seems logical given the existence of the 3W emitter. Also, it doesn't make much marketing sense to sell a 3W part and a 5W part, as they fall too close together in terms of output level. So my guess is that it'll get awfully quiet for a while, then suddenly there will be a 12W emitter.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

To answer the question at hand, though, I sold my only spare R2H to richpalm last week. Sorry Martin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Have you tried a J-binned (for Vf) emitter? I'd suspect that would approximate an R2H.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky,
A 12 watter would be interesting but would be a huge problem to cool down. The 5 watter has problems with cooling and reliability...maybe the 3 watter will find it's way into upgrading the 5 watter for longer term reliability.
I saw a surgical headlamp that uses batteries in the headstraps to drive two Luxeon 5 watters through focusable optics. They rated the LEDs at 10,000 hours so maybe it is an indicator of things to come. A 10,000 hour X binned 5 watter would really be a great light. For that matter, a V or W binned 5 watter would be a great light if it has that 10,000 hour life.
2004 will be an exciting year to watch the bins develop. I can see Lumileds phasing out the 1.2 watt LEDs and pushing the 3 watters out there. It would be interesting to see a 7.5 watt part become available. Will the "5 watt" part be able to run at a full amp for thousands of hours? Maybe by Christmas 2004, Mr. Bulk will keep us posted on how well the Luxeons produce at underdriven, stock and way overdriven levels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beretta, I've got a couple of R3J emitters. They are nice and bright, though they do have a slight green tint. Probably not a big deal unless you only like to shine your light at the wall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX, I agree with you about the challenge of cooling a 12W die. But I think it can be done with good engineering and refinements over time. When the 5W part cam out it was rated for a 500 hour life. Then it was upgraded to 1000 hours, and lately I see references every once in a while to as much as 10,000 hours. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 12W part announced soon but not released until later in the year, and even then with only a 500 hour rating. Such is the typical progress of semiconductors.

BTW, a modern CPU can generate 80W or even more of heat, so in the grand scheme of things, a 12W die wouldn't be all that crazy as far as heat generation. Just a guess though, I know nothing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

And just to keep this post from being completely off topic...

Beretta, what are you using the R2H for? Would another bin, like R2J or R2K, or even SV1J and the like, be acceptable?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need the lowest Vf possible with known results and the R2H tends to have the right color temp when driven at or just above spec.

Peter, I'm not sure if an R3J would do the trick, but maybe I could check one of them out. They are high domes, right?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I get in on this as well?

I'm looking for 2 R2H's or something verrry close as well.
I only need 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2 H or J binned 3 Watters also accepted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
My Arc Grey kit sure could use a R2H /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif or Very similar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif