Switching an LED challenge (need advice)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

OK. I bought this screwdriver with 2 small (incandescent) bulbs in the handle. It runs on two (2) 1.5 volt AAA batteries. You press the button in the base of the screwdriver and both little bulbs shine rather brightly.

Of course, here's what I want to do. Replace both of those bulbs with two (2) white LED's. SO, I have two extra LED's I bought from BG Micro (very bright). I remove one of the incandescants and put the LED on the end. IT'S VERY WEAK but works. Yes, I tried flipping the LED.

Question: Do I need some sort of "step up" circuit. Obviously I'm not feeding my LED's enough power to really shine.

Any thoughts on how to really bring this ordinary flashlight/screwdriver to life with LED's!!!

Thanks

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I was hoping someone could help me with this problem.

thanks

Brock

Flashaholic
Yup you need more power
smile.gif
A step up would do the trick, but if there is any way to get 3 batteries in there in stead of 2 that would be the easiest way to go. What type of batteries are they?

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Brock,
They are two (2) AA alkaline. If I can figure a way to post a picture of the setup I will. It will be easy soldering the super brights onto the terminals. Just getting them up to the proper brightness will be the problem. The batteries are actually located in the scredriver handle. They are side by side.

MikeB

Newly Enlightened
If you're not picky about the color, you might have an easier time using Red LEDs instead of White. Common White LEDs need about 3.6 to 4v, but many Red, Orange, and Yellow need only 2v.

Use a lower-voltage LED with a dropping resistor, and you should be all set.

Of course, if you wanted to upgrade the screwdriver just so you could have brighter, whiter light, I don't see much of an alternative to a step-up...
frown.gif

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by MikeB on 01-02-2001 at 05:32 PM</font>