1200mah 14500 Battery in Olight S15R

davidgcameron

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I just purchased an Olight S15R that came with a 750mah 14500 battery. Is it safe to use a higher mah battery like a 1200mah one with this torch? I am looking to maximize runtime.
Thanks!
David

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a feeling that this 1200mah battery has greatly exaggerated capacity, which basically means it probably will have LESS runtime.

chuckhov

Enlightened
Hi David,

I think that's very smart of you to skip those.

"Ultrafire" has a very bad rep around here as far as cells are concerned.

Here's what our Expert found with some Ultrafire 18650's:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?400136-Disassembly-of-some-UltraFire-batteries

So, you did good by asking. - If ever in doubt again, Always come here and ask first.

We see posts all the time that say: - "I just ordered this... Is it any good?" - Really!

So come back, or just stick around - Someone here will always be only too happy to help you, Before you screw up:)

Have a good one,
-Chuck

davidgcameron

Newly Enlightened
Hi David,

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?400136-Disassembly-of-some-UltraFire-batteries

So, you did good by asking. - If ever in doubt again, Always come here and ask first.

We see posts all the time that say: - "I just ordered this... Is it any good?" - Really!

So come back, or just stick around - Someone here will always be only too happy to help you, Before you screw up:)

Have a good one,
-Chuck
Thanks for the help Chuck! Very familiar with 18650 cells but was not sure if 1200mah was even a possibility for 14500s. Glad I asked!

chuckhov

Enlightened
Since we discussed what Not to get, we may as well talk about what is good.

For runtime, the Sanyo UR14500P 840mAh Cell is widely considered to be the best you are going to get in 14500.

Please notice that I said "runtime" Capacity = Runtime.

If you have a light that draws high Current, the you would do better with an IMR High-Draw, lower capacity cell, - 600-700mAh. Efest, Windyfire, etc.

The Olight S15 is NOT a High-Draw light, so will do fine with the Sanyo.

Thanks,
-Chuck

Marfenix

Newly Enlightened
Hi David,

Have a good one,
-Chuck

Way to go Chuck!
It is people like you that made me join this website in 2009.
I have learned so much about LEDlights! Have always been mostly interested in small lights powered by a rc123a rechargeable battery.