New Lights Today

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the 11th Jan I ordered a Streamlight TL2 LED and a sonic from LA Police Gear. It was delivered today the 15th. Great service, and everything came through in good shape.

I am very impressed with the TL2 LED. In my garage it is at least as bright as my SF E1e with the MN01. It is not quite up to the E2e with the MN03.

I was surprised at the small size of it. It is about the size of my E2e except for the larger bezel.
I can't wait for night to see how it compares outside at longer ranges. I am learning that what many say her is true, that the broader beam is more useful than a somewhat longer throw.
I like the light, and think that it might just be my primary carry light. I would like to try a Pelican M6 LED, but even if the PM6 gives more light the TL2 LED does everything that I can think of. I suspect that the PM6 is a little larger also.

I ordered, two Arcs, a turquoise and a white, and a Sonic from Pocket Lights on the 12th Jan. They also came today. Again superb service.

I had not seen an Arc light previously, and I was not disappointed. The turquoise did put our more total light, but the white had a tighter beam and I could make our more detail with it. I slightly prefer the white, but again I want to see what it does in the dark.

Unfortunately the Sonic does not always switch on, but I am sure David will work that out with me. No Problem there. That is the fault of CMG and not David/Pocket Lights.

In comparing the Arc with another Sonic, I find that the Arc is somewhat better in total output, and therefore more useable than the Sonic. However, the Sonic was as good when looking at something as far as detail is concerned, because it has a tighter center. I prefer the Arc, but the Sonic would be a perfectly acceptable light if it were reliable. I like the one that works. One has to consider whether the difference in price is worth the better made Arc or not.

All in all, I am appreciative of the most excellent service I got on these two orders. LA Police Gear and Pocket Lights will continue to get my business and I highly recommend them.

I realize that as a newbie I did not cover all the details that some here would. Please forgive me, as I don't know much about this stuff. It is fun learning, and maybe a little expensive too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jerry

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, that TL-2 LED is a great one. You'll like the run time on the light.

I put several hours on my TL over a few months, couldn't really notice a dimming until, just for the hell of it, I changed batteries. It beats the 30 min. or so with the 2/123 incandescents for sure.

Nice uniform spill too.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,
As much as I like to look at xenon lights, such as my PM6, and say WOW, I believe that the LED lights with their longer run times, and very bright outputs are the way to go for most of us.

I am more and more thinking that the Streamlight TT2L may be the most practical light for the outdoorsman. The LED mode, with it long battery life, is enough to walk about in the dark to the hunting grounds or stand, and the xenon mode is bright enough for anything that I have ever had to do camping or hunting. The xenon mode is slightly brighter at the center than the TL2LED, but the overall light output is about the same and may favor the TL2LED.

The TL2 vs the E1e which I compared tonight, showed that the center of the E1e was brighter, and hence has a longer throw. However, total light output was greater for the TL2LED. All this is just what my vision concluded, and might not agree with tests done in a more scientific way.

Just a few minutes ago I got my order from BatteryStation. I ordered some batteries, and a CMG Reactor 1 Watt, and an Infinity Ultra CPF special.
The order came through in good time and well packed.

My impression of the CMG Reactor is to save your money. I found it only marginally brighter than the 1 AAA and the Ultra G. I might even have imagined the "marginally brighter."

The Infinity Ultra is a good light. It is as bright as the Arc AAA and other single AAA size lights I have with the exception of the Dorcy 1AAA. The Dorcy is somewhat brighter than the rest. I like the Ultra but it is too large for a keychain. It will do well as a pocket light, however.

All in all I am quite pleased with the lights, and except for the faulty Sonic, all will suit the purposes for which I intend to use them.

The dealers were all completely outstanding, and will continue to get my business and recommendations. I know the rest of you know this as the Cheers for them keep coming.

Jerry

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jerry, I have to give you another yes on the SL Twin-Task 2L as a MOST practical light. I have two of them, and it covers 99% of my needs, including long run time with the LEDs, relatively long run time with adequate brightness with the incandescent, cold/heat tolerance with the lithiums.

I probably use my TT 3AA more around the house with it's cheap batteries, and similiar run time, and brightness, but the TT 2L can't be beat for the price.

A new car/truck should come standard with a Twin-Task in the box.

Don't leave home without it.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jerry, the CMG Reactor (2AA) is useless unless you run it on lithium AAs. Though lithium AAs are expensive, you'll find the runtime with on them with the Reactor will be so long that their cost will no longer be a factor.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ron,
I have some lithium AAs. I will try them. The other thing about the Reactor is that the switch seems cheesy. I unscrew the tailcap when I put it up, as I am not sure it won't turn on by bumping it.
I just wondered about it, and now I know.

Jerry

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ron,
You must be a genuine genius.
I put two lithium batteries in it and it made it a useable light instead of useless.

The switch does not give me confidence, and I still need to unscrew the tailcap to make sure it does not turn on accidently.

I tried some lithiums in my CMG Ultra, and although it was a bit brighter, it was marginally so and I don't think in that instance it is worth the cost. I probably left them in it but I would not buy them for the Ultra.

BUT, they made a tremendous difference in the Reactor.

Thanks again,
Jerry

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:
I tried some lithiums in my CMG Ultra, ... BUT, they made a tremendous difference in the Reactor.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the 2-cell Reactor, lithiums are recommended, but in the 3-cell Reactor, they could let all the magic smoke out of the LED, and the package emphatically states you should not use them in it.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the warning. I don't h ave a 3 cell, and I am not impressed with the light enough to get one.
I do want to be careful about lithium battery use.
It seems that electronics run on smoke, and if you let it out that is the end.

I once was driving my truck on a dirt road, and had a modified CB radio on. Suddenly it just smoked. It never worked after that, and I concluded that smoke was the essential component in electronics.

Jerry