watching dvds on a tablet

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you watch a dvd on a tablet, say an ipad (or whatever else), are there players that give you the features of a dvd player? Specifically, can you access the dvd's audio options, subtitle options, menu with extras / supplements, trailers, etc.?

nbp

Flashaholic
You can't insert a physical DVD into a tablet, they don't have optical drives like that. Do you mean if you were to download or stream a movie?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've never connected a DVD player to a tablet; never needed to with Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime.

There's some network trickery you could do using a wi-fi enabled DVD player connected to your router, or VLC/Plex/etc network streaming, haven't tried any of that either.

Streamed movies will usually have everything except the "making of" clips and such that come with the DVD, unless the movie specifically says it includes extra content.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I like StarHalo's idea about using Plex. Basically you'd run the Plex server software on your PC, and then you can stream to anything that'll run a Plex client app (including your iPad, phone, PCs, Macs, etc.).

A big downside to this, especially if you plan to do it often, is that you have to "rip" the DVD - turn it into a file the Plex server can play. It's a little complicated but here's a good how-to. You'll have to decide for yourself if you think it's worth the effort. https://www.thurrott.com/music-videos/1025/rip-dvd-videos

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Learn something new everyday.

Both Hulu and Netflix are $8-9/mo and have many thousands of movies and television series; no rent fee, no buying anything except the initial subscription, just download the app, click what looks interesting and hit play, you're watching the show.

If you're a member of Amazon Prime for the free shipping, you also have an entire free video library you can access with their app, like Hulu/Netflix. Amazon's service also includes rentals, so if you just want to pay a few dollars to see one particular movie, that's also an option.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both Hulu and Netflix are $8-9/mo and have many thousands of movies and television series; no rent fee, no buying anything except the initial subscription, just download the app, click what looks interesting and hit
I may eventually go with a streaming program, but right now I like the selection and faster new film additions of net flix dvd. A few sept releases (dvd & blu): Love & Mercy, Mad Max FR, Avengers AoU, Two Days, One Night 8/25/2015, CITIZENFOUR 8/25/2015.

I also like to access the dvd's audio options for commentary, and the disc extras / supplements, interviews, documentaries, other short films by the director, etc. Which not available when you stream.

And I'd like to be able to view films from my dvd collection. Maybe one of those laptops where the screen disconnects from the keyboard?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe one of those laptops where the screen disconnects from the keyboard?

Many of them don't have a DVD drive, and if it did, it generally is on the keyboard side. Not to say there isn't one. I've seen one that was over priced and horrible in the design as well as being heavy as buggery.

Get a portable DVD player. Cheap as these days.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Some movies release first online, some DVD. Two Days is already on Netflix, for example, and Citizenfour was on its studio's site back in March.

The Wifi DVD player would probably be the easiest way to do what you're talking about; just select the player's SSID on your device's wifi settings and go.

Does anyone know why The Powers That Be at Apple don't design an iPad that can support a SuperDrive? I've been streaming from Netflix for a couple of years. Still, for the price of a SuperDrive, it would be a welcome ability to plug-n-play.

I know the sales of tablets continues to decline, but there are a lot of them in use.

~ Chance

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Because the SuperDrive is a burner, and you need a file system for that. It would make no sense to have a device that streams/cloud stores every type of media, but then make an exception only for movies.

And the tablet sales bit is a loaded statistic; sales aren't improved because everyone is still using their old tablets and see no need to upgrade. The tablet is without question now firmly rooted in computer history.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You're talking about media from a different era; streaming movies are already available in 4K and the iPad isn't even an HD screen, things are moving fast..

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's a DVD?
How can a decrease in content (streaming) be considered an improvement? You miss out on expert commentary, subtitle options, extras / supplements. Some dvds come with the directors first film, or a short film. And you can ff, rew - I've never seen streaming allow that.