S3 EDC from Mountain Electronics

uofaengr

Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the customized S3 EDC from Mountain Electronics? I'm not really in tune with the custom light world, but the reviews all seem to be really good and say it's well worth the price. All of the options are pretty intriguing, particularly the emitter choices, (triple XPL HI!) but I could see a triple Nichia 219 pocket rocket driven up to 5.8A to be pretty cool (make that HOT because it'd probably be a hand warmer). I like the rear clicky and the half presses to change modes like my L11C and the slim design. The only question would be which lens to pick. Something like what my Zebralights put out would likely be what I'd lean to...floody with a little throw.

Again, it looks interesting but would like to hear some feedback from CPF users before I get serious about trying one. Worth it?

saypat

Enlightened
Yes, Richard at Mountain, well, no reason to go elsewhere. He simply can be trusted with his offerings. I have one of his S3 lights, a Triple Nichia flooder. I believe it is 4.0A It has the most amazing tint on it. It will spoil you. I think it puts out 1200 lumens and heats up fast on the highest mode. I bought it for $50 from someone here in the Forum. It is a KEEPER! I have bought several from Richard. The stock M6 I bought for $35 on sale is a beast. Spend some time at his site.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Yes, Richard at Mountain, well, no reason to go elsewhere. He simply can be trusted with his offerings. I have one of his S3 lights, a Triple Nichia flooder. I believe it is 4.0A It has the most amazing tint on it. It will spoil you. I think it puts out 1200 lumens and heats up fast on the highest mode. I bought it for $50 from someone here in the Forum. It is a KEEPER! I have bought several from Richard. The stock M6 I bought for $35 on sale is a beast. Spend some time at his site.
Yes, I've bought batteries from him recently and will definitely be buying from him again.

Can you tell me which lens you chose? I'm looking for something that will replicate my SC62w or similar. Capability for a little throw but a hotspot that's not sharply defined, smooth transition from hotspot to spill. The narrow beam 10507 is the most popular choice but afraid that it's designed for throw and will have a small, sharp hotspot with little spill. I'm thinking the carclo 10508 might be closer to what I'm looking for I'm thinking.

And wow, if yours is the 4A version, I might need to forego the 5.8A in place of this...

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is there a 3 amp version? I don't do anything over 3 amps in fact I prefer 1.5.

uofaengr

Enlightened
I spoke with Richard and he says all 4 lenses are very floody but still unsure which to get. [emoji20]

Wish I could find beamshots of the 4.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for it. Richard spent a week discussing the xhp50 p60 drop in I wanted, he was very helpful and polite the whole time. I'm still waiting to get it as there is a 2-4 week wait period on custom drop ins but I'm excited as can be. First time buying from him and won't be the last!

I didn't think he was doing triples in his custom options but then I checked he site and saw it's offered under flashlights and not as a host. I most definitely want it! Optioned the way I want it it's only 87 bucks, heck of a deal and makes me wish I hadn't gone the xhp50 p60 route now

Last edited:

zehnmm

Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the customized S3 EDC from Mountain Electronics? I'm not really in tune with the custom light world, but the reviews all seem to be really good and say it's well worth the price. All of the options are pretty intriguing, particularly the emitter choices, (triple XPL HI!) but I could see a triple Nichia 219 pocket rocket driven up to 5.8A to be pretty cool (make that HOT because it'd probably be a hand warmer). I like the rear clicky and the half presses to change modes like my L11C and the slim design. The only question would be which lens to pick. Something like what my Zebralights put out would likely be what I'd lean to...floody with a little throw.

Again, it looks interesting but would like to hear some feedback from CPF users before I get serious about trying one. Worth it?

Hello uofaengr. I should like to share a few opinions about the S3 EDC.

First, the bottom line: I have had one for about a week now and I can heartily recommend it.

Second, some notes:
1. I chose the grey body, 5.8A, XPL-HI 5000k, 4 modes starting with high +memory, 10507 optic.
2. I ordered one of the holsters from the web site, which allows for not only the light, but also an extra 18650 battery.
3. Also chose a couple of Samsung 25R 2500 mah batteries, button top. HJK reviews show this battery as capable of handling the higher amp loads quite well.
4. It took less than 2 weeks to get my light after submitting my order (web site says to allow 2 to 4 weeks.) It arrived expertly packed. I received confirmation emails along with shipping notification.
5. In my homemade sphere, I get the following for the otf lumens: high 1900-2000 at 1 sec.; high 1700-1800 at 30 sec.; med 546; low 38; sub-lumen <1 lumen. (Compare with jmpaul sphere measures of a S3 EDC with 3x XPGs and Samsung 20R battery: 1321 at 30 sec., 462, 29, 3.) FYI, with an Eagletac 3100 mah battery, the 30 sec. high output is about 1620; with an older AW 2200 mah, it was about 1400. With this data, I believe it is advisable to use a battery like the 25R that can handle 5.8A, otherwise voltage sag kicks in fairly quickly and your output will be less. There are other batteries you can choose from off of the mtnelectronics.com site. There are several batteries that are recommended in the product description area.

(Please accept my output quotes as relative values, as I cannot guarantee accuracy. I tried as best as I could to follow Selfbuilt's methods.)
6. For my light I get the 4 modes, starting with high, with memory.
7. In the high mode, it has a step-down at the 90 sec. point. I will say that on high, the light does indeed get hot quickly. Moreover, it gets warm at the next lower level, which is putting out over 500 lumens.
8. As I see things, this light should be viewed as giving you two very useful EDC levels, the sub-lumen mode and the low mode. Both of these do not heat up the light and allow for some sensible run times. If you need bright, you get over 500 lumens at the medium level, but I say no more than about 5 minutes, as the light does get warm. But, if you need some retina searing output, the high is there for you at about 1800 lumens, up to 90 seconds. Personally, in my evening walks so far, I have not tried the high for more than 30 seconds.
9. As for tint, in my opinion the XPL-Hi at 5000k is a pleasing yellow-leaning alternative to the usually cool white (almost metallic) tints in my other lights. I am glad I chose this option.
10. The 10507 in my eyes allows for some throw, yet with acceptable side spill. Around my neighborhood, I am seeing over 100 yards with the light. I have other throw lights available, left over from my search and rescue days. (I regret to say that I am terrible at taking beamshot pictures and therefore cannot share such.)
11. The light's small size allows for several EDC options. Moreover, the light looks good. Richard at Mtnelectronics has done a great job.

In summary, this light at less than $100 is a bargain. I might say that I used to have one of Mac's Tri-EDCs that was a great light. I made a big mistake in selling it. But, now I have a worthy replacement.

Blessings,

Steve

markr6

Flashaholic
Sounds like a winnner!

1. Reverse or forward clicky?
2. I wonder if you can get a black switch boot instead of GITD. That green just screams cheap XXXFire to me; never liked them.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Hello uofaengr. I should like to share a few opinions about the S3 EDC.

First, the bottom line: I have had one for about a week now and I can heartily recommend it.

Second, some notes:
1. I chose the grey body, 5.8A, XPL-HI 5000k, 4 modes starting with high +memory, 10507 optic.
2. I ordered one of the holsters from the web site, which allows for not only the light, but also an extra 18650 battery.
3. Also chose a couple of Samsung 25R 2500 mah batteries, button top. HJK reviews show this battery as capable of handling the higher amp loads quite well.
4. It took less than 2 weeks to get my light after submitting my order (web site says to allow 2 to 4 weeks.) It arrived expertly packed. I received confirmation emails along with shipping notification.
5. In my homemade sphere, I get the following for the otf lumens: high 1900-2000 at 1 sec.; high 1700-1800 at 30 sec.; med 546; low 38; sub-lumen <1 lumen. (Compare with jmpaul sphere measures of a S3 EDC with 3x XPGs and Samsung 20R battery: 1321 at 30 sec., 462, 29, 3.) FYI, with an Eagletac 3100 mah battery, the 30 sec. high output is about 1620; with an older AW 2200 mah, it was about 1400. With this data, I believe it is advisable to use a battery like the 25R that can handle 5.8A, otherwise voltage sag kicks in fairly quickly and your output will be less. There are other batteries you can choose from off of the mtnelectronics.com site. There are several batteries that are recommended in the product description area.

(Please accept my output quotes as relative values, as I cannot guarantee accuracy. I tried as best as I could to follow Selfbuilt's methods.)
6. For my light I get the 4 modes, starting with high, with memory.
7. In the high mode, it has a step-down at the 90 sec. point. I will say that on high, the light does indeed get hot quickly. Moreover, it gets warm at the next lower level, which is putting out over 500 lumens.
8. As I see things, this light should be viewed as giving you two very useful EDC levels, the sub-lumen mode and the low mode. Both of these do not heat up the light and allow for some sensible run times. If you need bright, you get over 500 lumens at the medium level, but I say no more than about 5 minutes, as the light does get warm. But, if you need some retina searing output, the high is there for you at about 1800 lumens, up to 90 seconds. Personally, in my evening walks so far, I have not tried the high for more than 30 seconds.
9. As for tint, in my opinion the XPL-Hi at 5000k is a pleasing yellow-leaning alternative to the usually cool white (almost metallic) tints in my other lights. I am glad I chose this option.
10. The 10507 in my eyes allows for some throw, yet with acceptable side spill. Around my neighborhood, I am seeing over 100 yards with the light. I have other throw lights available, left over from my search and rescue days. (I regret to say that I am terrible at taking beamshot pictures and therefore cannot share such.)
11. The light's small size allows for several EDC options. Moreover, the light looks good. Richard at Mtnelectronics has done a great job.

In summary, this light at less than $100 is a bargain. I might say that I used to have one of Mac's Tri-EDCs that was a great light. I made a big mistake in selling it. But, now I have a worthy replacement.

Blessings,

Steve
Steve,

Wow is all I can say. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that detailed response. I think without a doubt I'm in for one of these. I've been looking at various triple Nichia setups for quite some time including the Sportac drop-in with a Solarforce host with only 2 modes or having to buy a $100 Eagletac with a UI I don't like, then pay an extra $50 or so for a triple Nichia drop-in. The big difference in the S3 is that I can get a monster output hi CRI flooder that's actually pocketable. I also prefer changing modes with the tail switch, completely customizable mode spacing, and it's pretty good looking minus the green switch. It's also built and warrantied by a guy with a great reputation in this community.

After doing a lot of research on the optic choices and reading others' thoughts, I believe I'm going to go with the 10511 narrow frosted optic which most closely replicates a conventional single LED plus reflector setup without the supposed weird rings and artifacts the clear optic provides from what I've read. I've also seen outdoor beamshots comparing the optics, and the 10511 looks perfect to me. I was going to let some of my fun money build back up, but it's going to be hard to wait much longer for this light.

I was going to go with 4 mode, low to high, no memory, but now wondering if I should do a custom 5 mode to give me another usable mode in the low-medium range since roughly 40 lumens to 500+ is a wide gap to me. I'd only be going with the 4.4A version and using protected batteries so I'm not sure what the max output would be. Richard does say on his site that any of the protected batteries he sells will be capable of handling the 4.4A and 5.8A outputs that he offers. I'd likely order one of the new Sanyo NCR18650GA capable of 10A discharge current but think my Keeppower 3400mah batteries rated at 2C discharge would be fine.

zehnmm

Enlightened
Hello uofaengr. I do like your thinking on planning for your light. As I think about your objectives, the 10511 sure does sound like a good choice.

Additionally, the 4.4A would allow for longer run time and not quite as much heat. Interesting that you mention a custom 5 mode option. I had thought about that originally, yet for my purposes, I was ok with the 4 modes. But, you may very well benefit from an additional mode.

When I look at HKJ's 18650 battery comparator, I see that your Keeppower 3400s are definitely better than my Eagletac 3100s. I am betting that the 3400s would work ok with a 4.4A light. You might want to order one or two of the higher drain lights anyway.

Best of luck!

uofaengr

Enlightened
Well maybe this thread opened some eyes or something because yesterday I swear that there were 10 of these in stock and earlier today there were 3. Got curious while I was on the bike at the gym and took a look and it was down to 1! Couldn't resist and went ahead and placed my order! Good thing earlier today I'd already figured up the custom mode spacing I wanted. Got one of the new Sanyo 3500mAh 10A 18650s also to make sure I get the full potential out of this light. Haven't been this pumped for a light in a long time!

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mountain Electronics is a fantastic place to shop for lights. Everything is well built and he stands by his products.

His shop is also THE best shop on the planet to buy parts and components if you ever decide to mod your own flashlights. His shop is the gold standard for that niche.

uofaengr

Enlightened
After a long 4 weeks, I finally received it and am quite pleased. The host itself is really no marvel of intricate machining and superb F&F as the opening of the battery tube could be deemed kind of rough and the bezel may have a tiny nick here and there if you want to nitpick, but the draw here is for the function. Not a huge fan of the zombie green tailswitch, but can live with it and I believe it's GITD.

The options I ordered was:
Grey host
Triple Nichia 219b
4.4A
10511 narrow frosted optic
Custom mode spacing (ML,3%,15%,45%,100% no mem)

I was not able to take it for a test run outside yet, but it's quite floody as expected. Glad I went with the 10511 over the 10507 as the beam is smoothed out with no artifacts similar to a small floody light like the L11C but obviously much wider. Tint and color rendering are excellent. I believe the length is about 4.5" so it's a good length to grip with four fingers and change modes with the reverse clicky. MUCH preferred over the tail clicky plus side switch UI like Thrunite uses and my favorite UI after Zebralight.

My rough estimates of brightness upon activation (didn't write them down so this is from memory as I was swapping batteries back and forth testing another light) :
ML: < 1 lumen
3% - ~20 lumens
15% - ~150-165 lumens
45% - 500-550 lumens
100% - 1150-1200 lumens

I can't imagine how bright this thing would get at 5.8A, but it does get very warm quickly on high at 4.4A. I really couldn't be more pleased with the light, and am pleased with the modes I chose as modes 2 and 3 will handle most anything without killing the battery. I had been wanting a triple Nichia flooder, and this most definitely fills that niche. I can't take white wall beamshots worth a crap since all I have is my LG G3 smartphone camera and I'm no photographer (all the beamshots looked the same at each brightness except ML), but hope to take some outdoor pics at some point. If you're in the market for a similar light, I highly recommend ordering from Richard. The level of customer service and communication was excellent as well.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the feedback uofaengr! I'm holding off on this one, but still on my radar! It may sound silly, but that GITD switch really keeps me away...I just don't like the looks of them.

uofaengr

Enlightened
I'm not sure if the boot is something that can be easily changed? I've never attempted to remove one. You could possibly ask Richard if he could swap it.

I'm sure if I pull it out at work or something and use it, anyone will think it's just a cheap $2 light off Amazon especially with the green switch plus the triple optic resembles those $1 checkout lane flashlights they've seen at Lowe's and Walmart (not to me but they're all the same to them). We'll see what they think after seeing 1200 pure white OTF lumens. [emoji1]