LX2/Malkoff Lego advice

k3751

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to upgrade my LX2 with a Malkoff. I was leaning towards one of the e-series replacement heads to keep the thinner form factor, but would consider the VME if there was a good reason to do so. Mainly, I'm interested in how the high/low UI works with the head/dropin. Too bright, not bright enough, etc.

Thanks for any assistance!

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LX2's low mode does indeed work with an M61 in a VME head, but it's more of a medium than a true low. I can compare it to a few lights later this evening to determine a rough estimate of the output.

From what cell config are you interested, and which Malkoff variant?

k3751

Newly Enlightened
The LX2's low mode does indeed work with an M61 in a VME head, but it's more of a medium than a true low. I can compare it to a few lights later this evening to determine a rough estimate of the output.

From what cell config are you interested, and which Malkoff variant?

2x cr123, and either one of the e-heads or one of the m61s

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LX2's low mode does indeed work with an M61 in a VME head, but it's more of a medium than a true low.

I can attest to this as well. I had a Malkoff E2 Scout head on my LX2 for a while, and the low mode really was more like 50-75 lumens (based on my eyeball) than the factory 10-15 lumen low.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I have had the same results with both my LX2 and AZ2 using M61s in a VME. The spacing between modes was not huge.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've put an E2/Scout head on it, and have done a few comparisons. The low output is very similar to a high voltage Hound Dog on low, fed by two 18500s. The Hound Dog should be putting out around 75 lumens in this configuration.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can attest to this as well. I had a Malkoff E2 Scout head on my LX2 for a while, and the low mode really was more like 50-75 lumens (based on my eyeball) than the factory 10-15 lumen low.

I've put an E2/Scout head on it, and have done a few comparisons. The low output is very similar to a high voltage Hound Dog on low, fed by two 18500s. The Hound Dog should be putting out around 75 lumens in this configuration.

Haha, I guess my eyeball is well calibrated!

k3751

Newly Enlightened
Any reason to do the VME head + drop in vs the e2 head?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always disassemble tailcap and replace stock 1/8W 10Ohm resistor with higher value to get desired low mode... I've used 68 Ohm for 8.4 Volt setups, 12 Ohm for linear drivers... For Malkoff M61 modules 24 Ohm or 36 Ohm would give a nicer lows...