My Rendition of a 5W Emitter in photoshop!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone care to take a guess at what this could be?
5wemitter.jpg

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can you guess what this is?

Ok. I'll give you 2 hints.
It's not a picture of 2 luxeons.
It's not an advertisement for illegal substances. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
See the "crack" in my 5w thread for more hints and an explanation of the "crack"...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok. I guess no one will get this one. They are images I made in photoshop today. I'll edit the title of this thread.

Here is some more, tell me if you like them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
5wemitter2.jpg

5wemitter3.jpg

Every single pixel was painted from scratch. No fancy filters, only basic blur, etc were used. Lots of layers to make the textures, lighting and colors.
-Isaac

richpalm

Banned

Nice! I know how to 'work over' images in Photoshop-sharpen, contrast, autolevels, etc.-but can't approach this!

Rich

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks good!
couple of tips (nitpicks)
1) The fat tabs extend a little too far out from the emitter body. shortening the length of the solid area before the hole should make it closer to how they

2) The bond wires are usually a smooth up-side-down U shape (they don't follow the form of the slug/substrate/die)

3) Add in the substrate contact area lines I showed you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments guys! makes me want to get back into photoshop. I haven't done an image like this in about 3 years. I have worked a little on some huge images a couple months ago (for print) that are also photorealistic, but havne't finsished them.

evan: I was thinking of that. There is one tab on my 5w on the anode side which looks like that. But most don't so I'll probably change it.

The bond wires were impossible for me to see. I can proably make the U shape, and I also need to make them disappear due to refraction of the dome. The bottom one looks kind of like it does a U but the top needs work.

Are you talking about those lines? I thought about doing that too later.
But what about the acutal die shapes? I see from the macro image on Craig's site they look different than what I have. I could re do that part as it was the original one I slapped together. Also it looks like they are dark with lighter lines around them. But other macros it looks like mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I guess you just gotta go with one.

All in the pursuit of re-creating a perfect anatomically correct luxeon image!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

yikes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm going to keep working on it. I can see a few things I can tweak to make it look better. Might even do a white version with the yellow phosphour!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for looking guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

machulu

Newly Enlightened

I'm a graphics designer and photoshop is my life... I can honestly say that those pictures are really good. I love the use of lighting. What kind of designing do you do Isaac?

~Stephen

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

None. Around june-august of 1999 I got into photoshop and started learning it on my own. I came up with methods that seem to work pretty good for building stuff from the ground up. But somethings are just come as I go, and every peice I do differently. My original plans were to be a texture artist for 3D Realms game company, and I even met them and had contacts with them, but due to family situtations at home I no longer had a stable place to work, and kind of abandoned my work. I wanted to keep progressing and do a few other areas of art before applying. A year after I no longer was working on it, a position opened at that company for a texture artist. I was very depressed after that. I never really have fully gotten back into it. Occasionally it's stable enough here to work, like today. 1 more year of college and I'll have a job doing networking, I'll move out, and hopefully pick this back up as a hobby or possibly career again!

I have 3 other images that are 10x better than this one, with one being my web site interface for all my art I never fully finished (it's 90% done) and the other 2 are post cards, 4x6" at like 300dpi, so they are huge on the screen. The 2nd one is a WIP but close to being done. I have fully re-created the "Duke Nukem" text in photoshop only in high res and it looks like it was 3D rendered.

My poor 266mhz computer doesn't like those large dpi files. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif 160megs of ram helps, but no HD space doesn't.. I'm probably going to build a new rig this summer when I have time to build and use a computer...

Phew, there's my life story just about... heh. Hope I didn't bore anyone...

EDIT: BTW, I use Photoshop 5.0. I hear 7.0 is awesome.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

I like the copywrite notice! Nice touch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice work. I like the realistic blotches and scratches in the materials. It looks more like micro-photography than photoshop.

drs2000

Newly Enlightened

Nice stuff. Very impressive. I'll have to stick to my crummy pencil scribbles of schematics.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scary good..

DRS the crazed!

machulu

Newly Enlightened

I honestly don't rememmber Photoshop 5.0 but I don't find the jump from 6.0 to 7.0 to be that worth it. If you're still using 5 than Definately make the upgrade to either 6 or 7.

I'm suprized you're able to do work on a 266. I imagine it being really difficult to do air brushing or filters on larger files. Especially tools that needs be rendered on the fly like smudge, blur etc.

I'm probably the few who finds all this interesting... sorry to deviate from the original post.

~Stephen

was_jlh

Enlightened

Dude, this is fantastic. You should be doing this instead of networking. I hope your life moves to the point that you can do this as your vocation.