Best High Discharge 18650

Lantern32

Enlightened
Hey CPF!

I have a custom light, and I was hoping for some recommendations for high discharge 18650 batteries.
I have a Sony VTC5, but I'm not sure if there is any better battery out there. My VTC5 has a button top to it, but it seems as if the button top isn't that strong. The tip of the button top almost seems dented a little from either my Nitecore D4 charger or Olight M2Xvn!
I know the battery is authentic because Vinh sent it to me.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
What current is the cell, or cells, seeing as a load?

Always match the cells to the load presented.

Sanyo/Panasonic NRC-GA 3500mAh cells can handle a continuous load of 10A, although they won't last super long.

The LG MJ1 3500mAh cells, are similar.

Samsung 25R 2500s are up over 20A continuous, but they don't quite have the capacity of many of these newer 3300mAh-3500mAh cells that are hitting the market.

Chris

Lantern32

Enlightened

Sanyo/Panasonic NRC-GA 3500mAh cells can handle a continuous load of 10A, although they won't last super long.

Samsung 25R 2500s are up over 20A continuous, but they don't quite have the capacity of many of these newer 3300mAh-3500mAh cells that are hitting the market.

Chris

I'm not sure the continuous load of my light! :(

Lantern32

Enlightened

Chris

Do you know the amp rating on the Sony ones that I have?

swan

Banned
The Sony VTC5 is a very good cell and is rated at 30a constant discharge. Your m2x ut vn is probably pulling about 4 amps so something like the LG18650 HG2 [20a] 3000mah or the LG18650MJ1 3500mah [10a] should get you full out put and provide you with more run time.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
After researching HKJ's unbelievable efforts, I picked a Keeppower IMR 18650 3200mAh (button top). I haven't put it through its paces yet, so I can't vouch for it personally. But, you should inquire about it. They make it in flat top too.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I could go with any Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Sony, or AW high drain batteries?

I question that 1.5A load in a 18650 light, as that would be about a medium level. I have three Convoy lights with the 2.8A driver boards and medium is 40% of that, so not a lot at just over 1A.

If 1.5A is correct, that's nothing and you can pick any of the higher capacity cells that you can find, whether protected, or not.

Chris

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The listed batteries should still handle the load. Checkout the information for the link. The Panasonic batteries that I linked to will easily handle 5A.

Panasonic NCR18650B.

What about what Cree has to say on the Maximum Drive Current? Being ignorant, I have to go by what Cree's spec sheets have to say.

Last edited:

Lantern32

Enlightened
The listed batteries should still handle the load. Check out the information for the link.

What about what Cree has to say on the Maximum Drive Current? Being ignorant, I have to go by what Cree's spec sheets have to say.

Yes, but this free isn't running at normal voltage. I have the Vinh driver which allows over 20% more current, and it is also boosted over that

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checkout the links. The listed batteries can easily handle 5A. What does Vinh have to say on the matter?

I liked the reviews on these protected Orbtronic batteries so they became my go-to batteries. They are 5A continuous batteries with 6-10 second bursts of 10A.

The review links let you know what the many listed batteries are capable of.

Overclocked or not, one needs only what the LED drivers are going demand and as long as the (decent) battery can match the drain demands, you're good.

Last edited:

swan

Banned
Cree XPG2,s can be driven a lot higher than what cree recommends with a direct thermal path copper pcb. Check out all the mods on the web. In regards to the pana ncr18650b icr versus an imr cell, i get 10 -15% more lux tested with both my m2xut,s using aweite and efest high drains. Vins lights are pushed harder than most so to squeeze all the performance that these beauties provide , use what Vin recommends IMR,S.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no disagreement with your above. That's why I post, what does Vinh have to say on the matter? And you say IMRs.

Disclosure: I'm as dumb as a bag of hammers so I make no claims above what I've been taught.

None of my lights are modified yet it's been pointed out to me on many an occasion, overclocked or not, a light can't drain more than it's designed for so anything above what it demands is money down the battery drain.

Last edited: