Was Looking for Alternative to my Zebralight SC62w, but...

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using a ZL SC62w as my EDC for about a year, and I am still annoyed by the timing requirement at startup. Too often, when I turn on the flashlight, I get high instead of low, because I released the switch 0.05 seconds too early.

So I started searching for an alternative (under $85), basically a SC62w with "last mode memory" instead of the "timing at turn-on". But I could not find anything that came close! I did not realize just how unique the SC62 is, in form and function and size.

I wish ZL offered the option of "memory" instead of "timing" as a programable feature.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not having memory and able to access all 3 main levels from off via one button is what makes ZL special IMO. Having mode memory would make their lights more like other lights.

The timing is easy to get used to. Instead of trying to hold for a certain amount of time, and then let go, just hold down until you see the light turn on.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Works for me every time. Unless you're trying to turn on a sub-lumen low mode in a bright environment (at which case you shouldn't really be using sub-lumens in the first place), you should be able to see your light turn on.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I release the switch as soon as I see the LED turn on, it will turn on in high mode.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, yes, I'm sorry. Don't hold down and release when you see light turn on. Hold it down for a while after that too, forget about the releasing part. Don't be afraid to hold it down for longer than you think, as it takes a while for the light to cycle from low to medium.

It took me a couple days of getting used to, but after that it became quite easy. A year seems a bit strange.

recDNA

Flashaholic
When I hold down high does not turn on for even a split second. I let go when I see light. It is always low. Don't you have to click nd let go immediately to get high? I do

Amelia

Enlightened
Some of us have the ability to press/hold for a certain amount of time... every time... and some of us don't. I personally don't - I've always had trouble with Zebralight's UI when it comes to getting "Low" from off. Truly infuriating - it's the only real flaw in an otherwise inspired UI! Makes me angry every time I think about it, and every time I hear people blathering "it's easy - just get the timing right!" or some other platitude. No... it's NOT EASY!!! - for some of us it just IS NOT!!!!!

I would give just about anything for a programmable option to "flip" the quick-press and long-press behavior in Zebralights... quick press for low, long press for high. Make it an option, so people who like it the way it is don't have to adapt to anything new, and people like me can FINALLY stop blinding ourselves when we just want moonlight!

Zebralight - ARE YOU LISTENING??????

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind cool white, a Quark Click 2L-X (~ $53 w/disc.) on a 16650 (or 2 CR123s) might suffice - you define the modes you want, and the sequence they cycle, and it has mode memory.

An Armytek Prime might be another good option.

The ZL UI would also work better for me if it were reversed - short click to low and long to high.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZL UI would also work better for me if it were reversed - short click to low and long to high.

I used to think that, but I've come to realize that short-click to high is the better choice. If you're in a panic and need light now, you don't want to have to have to worry about timing, or waiting for a second to get that light. You want to click fast and get light immediately.

Whereas, if you want moonlight, you're generally relaxed and not rushed. You have time to long-press and get it right.

I don't think I've screwed up a long-press since the first night I got my first ZL. Well... maybe when I'm just playing around with it, but never in the middle of the night.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally find the Zebralight UI incredibly easy to adjust to and use as does my father. I gave him my SC32w and he loves it, has it on his keychain and loves the easy quick click to high and occasionally uses the press and hold for low. It took him some time to adjust to it but he caught on fairly quickly. I have had a time or two when I first used them that I accidentally got the high mode but I haven't had that happen in awhile after practicing with it. Usually when I use moonlight it's dark enough to see it and I know to continue holding for a split second after seeing the light turn on to stay in moonlight.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to think that, but I've come to realize that short-click to high is the better choice. If you're in a panic and need light now, you don't want to have to have to worry about timing, or waiting for a second to get that light. You want to click fast and get light immediately.

Whereas, if you want moonlight, you're generally relaxed and not rushed. You have time to long-press and get it right.

I don't think I've screwed up a long-press since the first night I got my first ZL. Well... maybe when I'm just playing around with it, but never in the middle of the night.

Yes, I know that is the rational behind it, but as you can see, it just doesn't work for some of us - I'm a practical, not tactical, user and ZLs really don't make good tactical lights anyways.

Here's the rub.... for me anyways. If I'm already holding a light, where an *quick* single click to max is going to make a bit of difference, that light is ALREADY going to be on, and on a low mode (eg, walking my dog, hiking, camping). Then, if there's a sudden surprise noise/movement, from *something*, I am going to panic, and want max NOW. Trying to reach max from already on is painfully slow with the ZL UI (hold and cycle up, or slow double click), not to mention getting back to the previously used low. The whole low>max>low sequence on a ZLs is like patting your head while rubbing your belly.

My favorite UI feature is a momentary max from ON - press and hold for max, release to return to the previously used mode. Aside from the bump-in-the-woods thing above, I use this sequence all the time - eg., firing two millisecond flashes at approaching cars (from a distance) to warn them pedestrians are ahead, locating my dog at a distance while off leash, spotting the next trail marker, etc.

I can't knock ZL's UI, it is very good and I understand why people love it.... but it just too slow and cumbersome for my needs.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you press the switch say to yourself "One And" and then release. Works every time

I'd like to hear more from the folks who occasionally have trouble getting low. Have you tried the method suggested by Lumencrazy?

I am one of those who is okay without counting, but when I tried counting (as above), it worked!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I know that is the rational behind it, but as you can see, it just doesn't work for some of us - I'm a practical, not tactical, user and ZLs really don't make good tactical lights anyways.

Here's the rub.... for me anyways. If I'm already holding a light, where an *quick* single click to max is going to make a bit of difference, that light is ALREADY going to be on, and on a low mode (eg, walking my dog, hiking, camping). Then, if there's a sudden surprise noise/movement, from *something*, I am going to panic, and want max NOW. Trying to reach max from already on is painfully slow with the ZL UI (hold and cycle up, or slow double click), not to mention getting back to the previously used low. The whole low>max>low sequence on a ZLs is like patting your head while rubbing your belly.

My favorite UI feature is a momentary max from ON - press and hold for max, release to return to the previously used mode. Aside from the bump-in-the-woods thing above, I use this sequence all the time - eg., firing two millisecond flashes at approaching cars (from a distance) to warn them pedestrians are ahead, locating my dog at a distance while off leash, spotting the next trail marker, etc.

I can't knock ZL's UI, it is very good and I understand why people love it.... but it just too slow and cumbersome for my needs.

Certainly nothing wrong with that, everyone has different needs and uses! It's great to have options and there are plenty of lights with more tactical minded features as you described. Unfortunately many lights it can be difficult to quickly access high without either clicking through several modes or twisting the bezel or something similar. Probably some of the easiest for this that I'm familiar with would be the smart ring lights, some of the tactical ones which are designed for quick strobe or high shortcuts, and the old piston drive series by Nitecore that could have a quick double click and hold to get to high no matter the level.

For or me their UI works great with how I use my light. Around the house at night a press/hold gets my moonlight mode and if I need extra brightness from a medium mode I just hold slightly longer. Then when needed I have the high mode set at a lower setting so if I'm hiking I have 300+ lumens which is plenty. Then if something goes "bump" in the brush I can quickly double click and have 900+ lumens.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to hear more from the folks who occasionally have trouble getting low. Have you tried the method suggested by Lumencrazy?

I am one of those who is okay without counting, but when I tried counting (as above), it worked!

I have also heard the suggestion to say "zebra light" as soon as you activate the switch, to get into low mode.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of us have the ability to press/hold for a certain amount of time... every time... and some of us don't. I personally don't - I've always had trouble with Zebralight's UI when it comes to getting "Low" from off. Truly infuriating - it's the only real flaw in an otherwise inspired UI! Makes me angry every time I think about it, and every time I hear people blathering "it's easy - just get the timing right!" or some other platitude. No... it's NOT EASY!!! - for some of us it just IS NOT!!!!!

I would give just about anything for a programmable option to "flip" the quick-press and long-press behavior in Zebralights... quick press for low, long press for high. Make it an option, so people who like it the way it is don't have to adapt to anything new, and people like me can FINALLY stop blinding ourselves when we just want moonlight!

Zebralight - ARE YOU LISTENING??????

Amen! :thumbsup: When I want to turn on the ZL in low mode, I have to pay attention. I can't reliably do it 100% of the time when I am "on autopilot" and my focus is on something else. Can you imagine being in the military and having this type of timing based control on the trigger of your rifle? It would be a disaster.