HDS,Malkoff,Surefire,Elzetta Opinion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern32

Enlightened
Hello CPF!
This thread welcomes anyone with opinions/questions about HDS, Malkoff, Surefire, and Elzetta! What makes these lights so special? Please share Thoughts, opinions, questions, and pictures!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lantern32,
With truly all due respect, there are a couple of reasons why your post is somewhat problematic. There are numerous pre-existing threads concerning these lights in which much of this has been discussed. Also, your question is extremely broad. Which Surefire models, for example? There have been many, and they have varied widely. Which Malkoff drop-ins? Finally, previous discussions about the relative merits of these lights tends to engender partisan sensibilities and strong emotions. For example, one person will say, "Brand X is a fantastic light!", while a respondent will say, "Yeah, I guess, but it's way overpriced - a ripoff - and there are much brighter lights out there!" Because these threads can get quite heated, they frequently get shut down by the moderators. You might first want to do some research on these brands on this forum, and then possibly re-post with somewhat more specific questions about specific products. Just a thought. I truly do not wish to come across as patronizing. Very generally speaking, the brands that you have mentioned are highly regarded by some, but there will be those that possibly disagree.

With respects to the Elzetta lights I would encourage you to head over to youtube and watch all 14 of the short videos in their video blog. It's obviously not unbiased but they make their case as to why you should buy an Elzetta. And they give a lot of great general info that applies to any LED light. I won't say any more since I've already sung their praises enough in your other thread!:eek::laughing:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to tell you I've spent an insane amount of money on one of those brands and couldn't care less if others even exist.. and that that reason is based entirely off of my own personal experiences in life or death situations..

With that said I'll hold my tongue because these type of threads don't last long. Others have the same experiences with every decent brand. It's lIke asking if a Ford or Chevy is better.

I think the underground is the best place for this type of question.

Respectfully I understand why you're asking. It's just that this comes down to a my favorite vs your favorite.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the other replies and will second Rob's comments about the Elzetta videos.

There are already several threads in place that discuss the merits of each brand. I'm sure you may have seen them already but, just in case, here are some links to check out. Each has plenty of photos and user experiences . . .

HDS Systems EDC # 18

HDS Systems EDC # 17 - Includes a table of contents to the previous 16 threads

The Official Malkoff Junkie Thread - Part 2 - This is 182 pages long so you will want to skip ahead to read about the current stuff

POST YOUR SUREFIRE COLLECTION II - There are a ton of SureFire threads out there but this one probably has the most photos. Much of it is about the older stuff.

Elzetta - The industry's best kept secret - All things Elzetta are covered here

I'm a big fan of all 4 brands and I've been known to write a review or two about them as well . . . .

HDS Review

Malkoff Reviews

SureFire Reviews

Elzetta Reviews

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
X3! This is a redundant thread! The information requested is already in the forum and has been discussed in detail.

Lantern32,
With truly all due respect, there are a couple of reasons why your post is somewhat problematic. There are numerous pre-existing threads concerning these lights in which much of this has been discussed. Also, your question is extremely broad. Which Surefire models, for example? There have been many, and they have varied widely. Which Malkoff drop-ins? Finally, previous discussions about the relative merits of these lights tends to engender partisan sensibilities and strong emotions. For example, one person will say, "Brand X is a fantastic light!", while a respondent will say, "Yeah, I guess, but it's way overpriced - a ripoff - and there are much brighter lights out there!" Because these threads can get quite heated, they frequently get shut down by the moderators. You might first want to do some research on these brands on this forum, and then possibly re-post with somewhat more specific questions about specific products. Just a thought. I truly do not wish to come across as patronizing. Very generally speaking, the brands that you have mentioned are highly regarded by some, but there will be those that possibly disagree.

+1 to novice.
Light blue touchpaper and stand back.
P

I agree with the other replies and will second Rob's comments about the Elzetta videos.

There are already several threads in place that discuss the merits of each brand. I'm sure you may have seen them already but, just in case, here are some links to check out. Each has plenty of photos and user experiences . . .

HDS Systems EDC # 18

HDS Systems EDC # 17 - Includes a table of contents to the previous 16 threads

The Official Malkoff Junkie Thread - Part 2 - This is 182 pages long so you will want to skip ahead to read about the current stuff

POST YOUR SUREFIRE COLLECTION II - There are a ton of SureFire threads out there but this one probably has the most photos. Much of it is about the older stuff.

Elzetta - The industry's best kept secret - All things Elzetta are covered here

I'm a big fan of all 4 brands and I've been known to write a review or two about them as well . . . .

HDS Review

Malkoff Reviews

SureFire Reviews

Elzetta Reviews

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like them all.

My hobby began with a Coast HP7 and has evolved over time. I needed a light for work.

I also enjoy carrying a flashlight in my pocket too.

Malkoff and Sure Fire have several models available, so I picked the ones with features that work best for my tastes and needs.

Recently I purchased an Elzetta that has features I prefer and fits in my pocket.

I still use Coast lights often.

So decide what it is you want in a flashlight, and test drive a few.

Last edited:

GearHunter

Enlightened
X3! This is a redundant thread! The information requested is already in the forum and has been discussed in detail.

X4 no disrespect intended but just seams like one more in a growing lists of posts by the OP to simply rehash threads that already exist and are well read and respected by those involved in said brands. All this info is only as far away as the search bar.
Sorry just the way I see it.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello CPF!
This thread welcomes anyone with opinions/questions about HDS, Malkoff, Surefire, and Elzetta! What makes these lights so special? Please share Thoughts, opinions, questions, and pictures!

HDS; cool, techy, and sleek but very pricey and a little overhyped. Malkoff; versatile, practical and fairly priced but not much in terms of 'bells & whistles'.
Surefire; well made, simple UI, and role specific but some models are too pricey and beam tints are so so. Elzetta; no personal experience.
As per the many threads in regards to these lights, lots of good information but lots of fluff and biases too. Of the three brands I have, HDS/Malkoff/Surefire, I find the Malkoff the most practical and the one I'd recommend out of the three but the HDS is by far the coolest. IMO/YMMV.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I'm going to tell you I've spent an insane amount of money on one of those brands and couldn't care less if others even exist.. and that that reason is based entirely off of my own personal experiences in life or death situations..

With that said I'll hold my tongue because these type of threads don't last long. Others have the same experiences with every decent brand. It's lIke asking if a Ford or Chevy is better.

I think the underground is the best place for this type of question.

Respectfully I understand why you're asking. It's just that this comes down to a my favorite vs your favorite.

NO, NO, NO, underground, I don't go there and many of us drop big money on these companies, so let's have here it right where it belongs. Let's hear what is what! this what a forum is for not to hide in the dark alley of some underground!!!!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
HDS; cool, techy, and sleek but very pricey and a little overhyped. Malkoff; versatile, practical and fairly priced but not much in terms of 'bells & whistles'.
Surefire; well made, simple UI, and role specific but some models are too pricey and beam tints are so so. Elzetta; no personal experience.
As per the many threads in regards to these lights, lots of good information but lots of fluff and biases too. Of the three brands I have, HDS/Malkoff/Surefire, I find the Malkoff the most practical and the one I'd recommend out of the three but the HDS is by far the coolest. IMO/YMMV.

Well put!!!

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
With respects to the Elzetta lights I would encourage you to head over to youtube and watch all 14 of the short videos in their video blog. It's obviously not unbiased but they make their case as to why you should buy an Elzetta. And they give a lot of great general info that applies to any LED light. I won't say any more since I've already sung their praises enough in your other thread!:eek::laughing:

In all honesty, when Elzetta started out those videos turned me off of them at first. There are so many "hard use" videos on YouTube... I'm never going to use a flashlight as a hammer or bang on the spine of a knife until the lock fails, so generally those videos do not apply to me. I never really took any company that markets that way too seriously.

That being said, about a year ago I picked up a three cell Elzetta on sale, and I love it. I'm up to three now (added another three cell, and a yellow Alpha) and they are multiplying fast. :)

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
In all honesty, when Elzetta started out those videos turned me off of them at first. There are so many "hard use" videos on YouTube... I'm never going to use a flashlight as a hammer or bang on the spine of a knife until the lock fails, so generally those videos do not apply to me. I never really took any company that markets that way too seriously.

That being said, about a year ago I picked up a three cell Elzetta on sale, and I love it. I'm up to three now (added another three cell, and a yellow Alpha) and they are multiplying fast. :)

I used my SF peacekeeper as a hammer last month. It was a short nail but was fast fun, and worked.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was forced to use my E2dl as a hammer a few years ago. I was working as a stage hand and a pin was not dropping into place on some set pieces, it really added some character to the light.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
I was forced to use my E2dl as a hammer a few years ago. I was working as a stage hand and a pin was not dropping into place on some set pieces, it really added some character to the light.

I use a hammer to drive nails. It works so much better. At some point there is what we call "Fit for Purpose". Where a certain level of performane is sufficient for a products intended use. Elzetta could make their lights even stronger so that they could survive a 1000 foot fall from an airplane? Great for advertising ultimate strength. But, would that make for a better light? On the other hand, the Elzettas,having a minimum output of 15 lumens, are far too bright for use as a camping light, when all that is required, after waking up in the middle of the night, is having to search for something inside a tent or step outside without ruining ones night vision. In this case these lights are not fit for purpose. So, good or bad can be defined in context to the end-use requirements (and of course personal preference).

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO, NO, NO, underground, I don't go there and many of us drop big money on these companies, so let's have here it right where it belongs. Let's hear what is what! this what a forum is for not to hide in the dark alley of some underground!!!!!

I will say that there are some great reviews on the Underground for a couple of the brands listed here. :sssh:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a hammer to drive nails. It works so much better. At some point there is what we call "Fit for Purpose". Where a certain level of performane is sufficient for a products intended use. Elzetta could make their lights even stronger so that they could survive a 1000 foot fall from an airplane? Great for advertising ultimate strength. But, would that make for a better light? On the other hand, the Elzettas,having a minimum output of 15 lumens, are far too bright for use as a camping light, when all that is required, after waking up in the middle of the night, is having to search for something inside a tent or step outside without ruining ones night vision. In this case these lights are not fit for purpose. So, good or bad can be defined in context to the end-use requirements (and of course personal preference).

They might not have had any hammers in their pockets. Either way both sound happy to have had a tool robust enough to be used that way, it's hard for me to get too mad at that.

SF, elzetta, malkoff, hds etc. are all probably close enough in quality that there will be a bigger difference as to which manufacturer puts together the closest match to everyone's different preferred combination of features/specs than anything else.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very important not to forget what an Elzetta was designed for. It is a military/police tactical designed and engineered light. Not really a camping light, but one could use it for that. Not really a light for home use, but one could use it for that. Not really meant for banging nails but one could use it for that.
I think some of you are missing the point and nit picking. There is no light that will fit 100% of everyone's needs. Thus the many excellent lights that we all own.
This is by far the best light for police/military usage. Let there be no doubt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.