2015 ProTac 1AAA 70 Lumens

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 2 of them and really like them.
Less throw by a small margin than the Micro but the 2 modes is a big improvement to me.
The clip is also not as handy though as it just bends once again compared to the Micro.
Tint is not as angry as the Micro and just overall more White on mine.

Mine have been little tanks too though exactly like the Micro!

For the price I think it is a great light.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 2 of them and really like them.
Less throw by a small margin than the Micro but the 2 modes is a big improvement to me.
The clip is also not as handy though as it just bends once again compared to the Micro.
Tint is not as angry as the Micro and just overall more White on mine.

Mine have been little tanks too though exactly like the Micro!

For the price I think it is a great light.

Thanks!

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I've been EDCing one for about 2 months, and I second what AV says. Tint on mine seems perfectly white, but I'm not too picky about tint unless it's really green, blue or yellow. It has PWM on low, but that doesn't bother me since I usually don't look at rotating objects. I've ordered a Microstream clip so I can use it as a headlamp if I need to. The ten-tap programming is nice, you aren't stuck with one UI. I've programmed mine low-high. The only thing I think I would change is the mode switching, I prefer a "click on, click off, click again to advance." It uses a "half press from off" to advance (forward clicky) like other Protac series lights. Again this is not a big deal, I've never found the perfect EDC, but this is as close as I've found. It's built like a tank, very small so it fits easily in my pocket, and has adequate output (70 lumens may not impress some, but meets 99% of my EDC needs). With a Eneloop Pro, I get an honest 1.5 hours before significant output drop on high.

Just to show what competition it's up against, lights I've EDCed in the past are NovaTac 120E, SureFire Stratus, 6PX, G2X, G2 and 6P w/incan and Malkoff M61LL, E2E w/ Veleno drop-in, V11R (2 different lights), Stylus, Stylus Pro, Quark QTA Gen 2 (2 different lights), Preon Penlight, Minimag incan, Maglight XL50, Peak Eiger Lug SS #8 Medium (non-QTC, still carry that on my keyring) and several E1Bs (my second favorite light). There are other obscure lights going back to 1975 when I started carrying an EDC, and I pretty much liked them all for various reasons, but hands down the Protac 1AAA is my favorite so far. But remember, YMMV.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only downside for me vs. my current (granted two cell) aaa edc, is less than 1/6 the spot intensity at equal lumens. Not a factor for most, but among <100l outputs, I find a throwier profile works best for me.

i still want one of these, just because I find it the best looking of all the protac series, proportions, font etc. even if it doesn't tailstand. And it's pretty inexpensive.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Yeah, I forgot to mention no tail-standing, and of course no moonlight mode. Neither is important to me, but could be a deal killer for others. I love this light, it hits the sweet spot for me.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to show what competition it's up against, lights I've EDCed in the past are NovaTac 120E, SureFire Stratus, 6PX, G2X, G2 and 6P w/incan and Malkoff M61LL, E2E w/ Veleno drop-in, V11R (2 different lights), Stylus, Stylus Pro, Quark QTA Gen 2 (2 different lights), Preon Penlight, Minimag incan, Maglight XL50, Peak Eiger Lug SS #8 Medium (non-QTC, still carry that on my keyring) and several E1Bs (my second favorite light). There are other obscure lights going back to 1975 when I started carrying an EDC, and I pretty much liked them all for various reasons, but hands down the Protac 1AAA is my favorite so far. But remember, YMMV.

Damn Gina!

The only downside for me vs. my current (granted two cell) aaa edc, is less than 1/6 the spot intensity at equal lumens. Not a factor for most, but among <100l outputs, I find a throwier profile works best for me.

i still want one of these, just because I find it the best looking of all the protac series, proportions, font etc. even if it doesn't tailstand. And it's pretty inexpensive.

The beam is awesome. White on the flood side but has a nice punch. I know this because "SURPRISE":party: I got one also. I just wanted some unbiased feedback. Fantastic light thus far thoroughly impressed. I must say mine shipped gritty and upon using the initial battery actually flickered and went out! The switch wouldn't work sometime, all sorts of stuff. After a good bath with rubbing alcohol I got 1 more flicker out of the original cell. Now, I've got about 5 Alkalines and 1 Lithium through it using it compulsively in every setting, blasting it on high, letting it sit 3 hours and reprogramming. Not a peep...SOLID as a rock. It must just not like Energizers, maybe it was tired of being cramped into the packaging with it and he was angry?

Very sturdy, did the pool test, fluctuating depth, let it sit, 100 clicks @ 2 meters, more clicks while diving and coming to the top... not a hitch. Now this can only truley be passed by tomorrow with 0 lens fog, but I have a feeling it's fine.

Yeah, I forgot to mention no tail-standing, and of course no moonlight mode. Neither is important to me, but could be a deal killer for others. I love this light, it hits the sweet spot for me.

I really love tail standing on my "do all" lights but the convinience of actually using a light with a protruded switch boot ( which by the way is THICK but loosens up ) is a real luxury then overcoming any kind of tailcap shroud. In contrast, Im VERY happy it has a forward clicky with momentary and mode change, if not deal breaker.

And for whatever reason.......the PWM I originally flipped out about on a Polytac awhile back doesn't seem that bad. I can use it and read with it fine and it doesn't bother me. Perhaps I was expecting it this time? Or maybe they speed it up a little?

Either way, awesome light so far.... would love to hear more opinions....

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
No foggy lenses.

Good to go on waterpoofyness.

Loving this little guy. The beam and runtimes are fantastic on Lithium.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
500 views.

You guys are missing out. Im telling you.....

I RARELY give out the "Forrest Approved" but this light is plastered with it, been using it non stop.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, cool! Missed this one until now. Guess it's like a "Gen 2" Microstream AAAx1? I like what I'm seeing. Too bad there's still no 10440 support. Oh well.

Probably get one anyway. Anyone know if this light doesn't fry and lights up brighter with 10440 like the Microstream AAAx1 does?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
500 views.

You guys are missing out. Im telling you.....

I RARELY give out the "Forrest Approved" but this light is plastered with it, been using it non stop.

I wonder what the requirements are, would it be possible to get this thread stickied atop the LED subforum, so that you get more views?

Or if it's not too late, at least add the bit about your seal of approval & how rarely it's given out, add that to the title. I'm with you though, I've been interested in this one, even been linking it in your threads starting about three to four aaa threads ago by now. Thanks for picking one up, and confirming my suspicions that it is indeed awesome.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, cool! Missed this one until now. Guess it's like a "Gen 2" Microstream AAAx1? I like what I'm seeing. Too bad there's still no 10440 support. Oh well.

Probably get one anyway. Anyone know if this light doesn't fry and lights up brighter with 10440 like the Microstream AAAx1 does?

I wouldn't try it. All runtimes on Lithiums is great, Alkalines work well also. This appears at first glance as a successor to the microstream, but is just a new addition to the ProTac lineup with really good specs, ten tap, long runtimes, glass lens, waterproof, feels solid- if I dropped it I wouldn't really sweat it. Im sure the other ProTacs are soon to be refreshed as this has equal or better runtimes than the 1AA and has official lithium support. SOLID little guy, very comfortable length in hand. In regards to the microstream, Im sure it's here to stay. It sells like crazy and it's cheap and durable. No reason to really change anything except maybe a lumen bump.

I wonder what the requirements are, would it be possible to get this thread stickied atop the LED subforum, so that you get more views?

Or if it's not too late, at least add the bit about your seal of approval & how rarely it's given out, add that to the title. I'm with you though, I've been interested in this one, even been linking it in your threads starting about three to four aaa threads ago by now. Thanks for picking one up, and confirming my suspicions that it is indeed awesome.

Thanks for the links and support!

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright.. I planned on it but stalled a bit. You think a dedicated review instead of tailing on this one?

Also whats up with the sticky thing, Im lost, my name is Forrest after all.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Thought I lost my Protac, but it turned out I just left it at a friends house. I ordered a new one from Amazon to keep as a spare, it came with the Microstream clip and a lanyard! Don't know when Streamlight made the change, but I like it!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I lost my Protac, but it turned out I just left it at a friends house. I ordered a new one from Amazon to keep as a spare, it came with the Microstream clip and a lanyard! Don't know when Streamlight made the change, but I like it!

Thats crazy, I just removed my clip and noticed it can be reverse mounted for all you baseball cap guys. ( I didn't try it, but the tube size looks to be near identical. )

Im still testing this sucker out. The clip seems useless on a pants pocket as it's more for orientation then actually keeping the light there. It would work better in a shirt pocket.

Either way sweet little light. i have a very interesting observation in regards to the tailcap when i have time for the review.

d_rasp

Newly Enlightened
Glad to see this thread & some love for the ProTac 1AAA! I EDC an older HDS RA Clicky high CRI, and that's kept me from really even looking at other lights for years, but I had a small credit on the tool truck & noticed that this light looked way better than most of the Streamlights I'm familiar with. Opened it up & was even more impressed with the great feel in hand, awesome forward switch & ability to set up as a perfect low-hi light! Tint on mine is a bit green, but fine in normal use. May try to have the LED swapped for something like a 219, I think that would make this a REALLY hard to beat 1xAAA light!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I bought one to suppliment a Microstream. It came with a two-way Microstream clip.
The light weight of it makes for clipping to a ball cap brim a tilt free experience vs aa lights.

I added a 'hole punch' size spacer between the on/off button and cover for easier momentary since my sausage fingers struggle with changing modes fast enough without it. Unfortuneatly that makes pocket turn on an issue due to the protruding switch boot. But when I use this one it's a shirt pocket/collar light anyway.

I don't use this one daily like the Microstream. It's main use is for lighting crevices in a cramped engine bay in daylight. The high mode allows it to shine brightly enough for my daylight adjusted eyes to see farther into the shadows vs the Microstream. So it mainly lives (in it's supplied sheath) in my tool bag being called into action at those times.

Latest posts