How large a light do you EDC?

I'm curious what size you folks prefer for EDC. Obviously "EDC" to most people implies something you always have, every day. If I have pants on I have my Fenix E01 in my pocket, on a 'biner with my keys and my Spyderco Dragonfly Super Blue. It's small enough to not annoy me too much (note- I'm pathologically averse to carrying a bunch of crap in my pockets!:thumbsdow) but has enough power/throw to be useful.

However, if I'm not at work I always have another, more powerful light. Generally I wear jeans or jean shorts in my off time and the watch pocket always has a light in it. For a long time I carried either a JETBeam BC10 or a Surefire E1b. The BC10 isn't quite as nice but it's pretty cheap so I don't worry about losing it. On the other hand the Surefire has a much better clip so it's much less likely to get lost. But lately I have been carrying a two cell light sometimes since there's room in my watch pocket and just for a good I've even carried my Elzetta Charlie that one occasionally.:naughty:

Do you have "levels" of EDC or just one flat load-out you carry no matter what? And how big is the light you carry with you daily?

100eyes

Newly Enlightened
I currently EDC a DQG Spy on my keys and an Eagletac D25LC2 clipped in the pocket. Over the years I've switched from single AA lights to double AAA lights and now single 18650 lights. The double AAA lights were really nice for a while as you really forget they're there.

The D25LC2 was one of the thinnest 18650 lights I could find and it's worked out well so far. I also liked their UI compared to others.

stephenk

Enlightened
The only flashlight I routinely carry with me is a keyring light, a LED Lenser K2. Tiny, cheap (AU$15), and with 25 lumens. Unfortunately when I bought it I didn't realise it ran on four LR44s instead on a AAA - oops!

I don't have any need for anything more for EDC, though there are plenty of impressive AAA keychain lights.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
no matter what, my trusty blue E01 is with me when I leave the house. Having it with the keys help. Only forgotten the keys when the Mrs brings her keys.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always have my D25a2 clicky clipped in my front right pocket. If I know I'm going to be outside late, working on vehicles, traveling, etc I will carry one of my larger lights on my belt. Once I get the drop in in, my edc will also include a Solarforce l2 with a xhp50 drop in which will be belt carried while my D25a2 stays in my pocket.

D6859

Enlightened
Thrunite TN12 (1x18650) clipped in my pocket and Olight i2 EOS (1xAA) in my keyring. i2 is something that I carry if for some reason I cannot fit TN12 into my pockets. 95% of time when I'm wearing trousers I have TN12 with my phone in my left hand pocket and I feel naked without them.

Also: Armytek Predator Pro v2.5 or Olight M22 goes with Armytek Wizard Pro in my shoulder bag that I carry almost daily.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a minimum of one or two large lights and a few smaller lights, in summer.
Winter, never hurts to have traction so I carry what I want.

d88

Newly Enlightened
For me, my EDC is either my Eagletac D25C ti or Nitecore EC11 which is kept in a pocket. On my keyring I keep a Photon freedom attached. I can't really see me using anything larger as an EDC.

Poppy

Flashaholic
My EDC is the smallest stainless steel AAA light I could find. A DQG aaa twisty. I carry it on my key-chain. It is 3-5 lumens low, and about 60 lumens high, in a NW. I always have my keys, so it is always with me, a TRUE... EDC :)

The newer version now supports 10440 Li-ion, which probably kicks butt in such a little light, but I like mine, just fine :thumbsup:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I love small pocket lights, usually CR2 size and smaller. I have a lot of CR2 type lights and sub-CR2 size ones too. But often I'll EDC an AAA or 10440 light.

Favorite EDC lights

Oveready Peak Eiger mule 10250 in stainless steel or brass
TNC Brass Extreme Micro 15270
4Sevens Mini MLR2 CR2 neutral or cool white
Maratac AAA stainless steel or copper
Olight i3s EOS AAA
Thrunite TiS NW XP-G2 AAA in stainless
Thrunite TiS CW XM-L2 in flamed titanium, modded to 10440 by Vinh

On the keychain is a DQG Fairy 10180 light with the USB charger in my other pocket.

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How large a light I carry depends on the pants I'm wearing.

My standard policy is to take along the largest light that I can clip comfortably into my left front pocket. In addition to increased output, the larger body facilitates use of a battery with more capacity. Choosing a single EDC for the worst case pocket capacity, and using that light for all conditions, makes little sense to me.

Some days the light that properly fits is a little HDS clicky. Other days it's a Surefire E2E with VME head housing a Malkoff M61N. On other days, it's a Malkoff MD2 or Elzetta Bravo (sometimes with AVS head). Today, like most summer days, I'm wearing cargo shorts with deep pockets. Right now, I've got a Moddoolar Pocket Clicky with 2X18500 body. Is it what most would consider an EDC-sized light? Nope. Is it comfortable to carry, while giving me the ability to unleash up to 3000+ lumens....absolutely.

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always carry a modded Fenix PD35vn triple XPL which takes a single 18650. Nice and powerful, and it has decent runtimes as well.

nimdabew

Enlightened
E2DL in my left pocket with the large reversable pocket clip, Fenix PD22UE in my right jacket pocket (pant/shorts pocket when it's warm). I also have a new shiny in my bag. It's a nitecore MT20C.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Always 1 x cr123a size. Occasionally sc62w but that is smaller than my TC-R2 or hds 170n

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cycle through several (at whim) but always have two or three on me. I prefer multi-level (low to high) or Rotary. The biggest I carry in pocket is probably the Surefire E1B.

Keychain: Draco, MBI HF Ti, DQG Spy, and less frequently, Olight i7R, Surefire Titan-A
Pocket: Jetbeam RRT-0, EagleTac D25C Ti XP-L or D25A Ti XP-L or 219B, Surefire E1B
Watch Pocket: Cool Fall Spy 007, Chimera MC-E (the rectangular light made by Sabrewolf a few years back)
Holster: HDS Ti Clicky, HDS rotary 170 or 325

Auto: Surefire 6P / P3X, ArmyTek Viking Pro v3, Nitecore EC4, couple of others
Briefcase: Anything I feel like but normally 2x123 or smaller, Surefires, McGizmos, HDS, others

Bugout bag: more than one Surefire. At least one incan, one LED, one lantern, and several luminescent rods. Need to refresh the lighting kit though; it's a bit long in the tooth.

The Surefire 2211 stays at home where it can't cause mischief. :devil: