Did I make a bad decision? Z.L Sc52wl2?

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
Ordered it...but haven't gotten it yet?
Haven't heard much about it and not much action on youtube.

Amelia

Enlightened
Ordered it...but haven't gotten it yet?
Haven't heard much about it and not much action on youtube.

On the contrary - you made one of the best decisions possible!
The SC52w L2 is definitely in my top 3 AA powered lights for EDC, and is squarely in #2 place if size and weight are of concern (the SC52d is #1, but the only difference is the emitter tint and CRI). The SC52 series lights are my handheld of choice if I'm going on a short camping trip where I don't think I'll need the extra battery capacity of the SC62w or SC62d.

Fantastic lights. :)

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
Cool...thanks, but you see, you're the only that has said anything about the light. Come on...I can take it, is this not a much of a liked f.l guys?

Amelia

Enlightened
Cool...thanks, but you see, you're the only that has said anything about the light. Come on...I can take it, is this not a much of a liked f.l guys?

I can't really answer for others here... but from my reading on this forum, a lot of people here really prefer the 18650 cell lights over AA. The reasons being that 18650 gives you 3x to 4x the runtime, higher possible brightness for the same or longer runtime, and it's not a whole lot larger and heavier than AA.

For travel, though, unless you want to lug around a charger and a bunch of 18650's with you, AA has some definite advantages... the lights and cells are smaller and lighter, and most important - you can find AA batteries EVERYWHERE. Outer Mongolia and Siberia probably have AA batteries! :)

You did fine... I can tell you that even before anyone else jumps into this thread to tell you that.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, SC52w-L2 and the SC5w are my two favourite lights. Both 1xAA lights, and quite bright. SC5w is brighter, but a little bigger. SC52w-L2 makes a better pocket light.

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
I can't speak from experience yet, but I've got a SC52d on its way :) I read lots of favorable reviews around here (do a search for it in the search bar, there are lots) and decided to get one for its size, dependability, and the fact that it'll eat all sorts of AA batteries. This'll be a light that travels the globe with me.

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
I can't really answer for others here... but from my reading on this forum, a lot of people here really prefer the 18650 cell lights over AA. The reasons being that 18650 gives you 3x to 4x the runtime, higher possible brightness for the same or longer runtime, and it's not a whole lot larger and heavier than AA.

For travel, though, unless you want to lug around a charger and a bunch of 18650's with you, AA has some definite advantages... the lights and cells are smaller and lighter, and most important - you can find AA batteries EVERYWHERE. Outer Mongolia and Siberia probably have AA batteries! :)

You did fine... I can tell you that even before anyone else jumps into this thread to tell you that.

Thanks for your time...the aa batteries is the reason I got this one also. Thanks again.

UnderPar

Enlightened
I have 2 ZL SC52w L2. And I love everything about this light. Though I also have other 1xAA lights, this SC52 and SC5 remains my top favorite lights in this format. IMHO, you just made the right decision. Enjoy your light!

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
You made an excellent choice, and let me share my experience in dealing with Zebralight as far as customer service. Some time back, a fellow CPF'r had a Zebralight SC62D that he tried to open-there appeared to be mist or fog in the reflector. When he tried to open it, he tore the rubber switch cover. He chose to give the light away to someone on CPF. I had just finished a couple of mods and successfully opened the heads of a Surefire 6PX & G2X, so feeling confident about my skills I entered the contest, and I won! Before I tried to disassemble, I called Zebralight to check on the cost of a new rubber switch cover. The rep strongly suggested I send it in-for $15 they put in a new switch, reflector and per my written request they sent me an extra switch cover. He explained that if the humidity is high on the day the light is sealed, the fogging can be a problem-however they did it this time there has been no recurrence. It took 3 weeks and has worked flawlessly ever since. I was so impressed I bought an Sc52w and I love it! Let me also suggest that you listen to Amelia, she is really well informed and from an applications standpoint is one of the most well-versed flashaholics on the forum. Her custom mod and views on the V11r vs SRT3/SRT5 defined the exact light I was wishing for and she hired a machinist and made it happen-I will soon be doing the same thing.
You have asked a good question, but the forum ebbs & flows like the ocean-sometimes you will get 50 answers in 30 minutes and other times 3 posts in 3 days. Be patient and you will get reinforcement that you made an excellent choice!

uofaengr

Enlightened
If you do a search on this forum, you will see plenty of chatter about this light.

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
AA has some definite advantages... the lights and cells are smaller and lighter, and most important - you can find AA batteries EVERYWHERE. Outer Mongolia and Siberia probably have AA batteries!

This is very true. In Bolivia, I've never seen an 18650 battery and on a rare occasion a CR123, let alone the other fancy rechargeables and high drain stuff. They just aren't available here. I have a thing for small lights, AAA size! But AAAs are even more difficult to come buy and very expensive. But, AAs are everywhere! That's the one battery size I've never had trouble finding here.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC my SC52 every day, often through much of the night as well.

Wonderful little light. Can't +1 enough.

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
Damn...I forgot the rechargeable batteries, what will be good for this light and a ZL H52FW.
Need a charger also.

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the flashlight can run the AA or the 14500 which makes it handy. :)