BLF Manker A6 – Custom tube light designed by BLF – Cree XP-L in three tints, 1x18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coupon Code Now Public (2015-Oct-17)

The coupon code for the BLF A6 Special Edition is now public. You do not have to join the group buy to get the code. It is posted publicly at BLF. Using the code, you can purchase the BLF A6 at Banggood for $25 USD. Right below the code, you will find a link to the sales page at Banggood.

Price Increased to $29.95 (2015-Nov-01)

On November 1, 2015, the price of the BLF A6 was raised to $29.95 (with coupon code).

The original price of $25 was negotiated on behalf of the 900+ BLF members who joined the group buy. After all of them received their flashlights, the seller allowed the coupon to be released to the public. It then sold perhaps another 1000 lights at the $25 price.

Although it would be nice to see the lower price kept available forever, we knew it had to end eventually.

Original Post (2015-Aug-17)

The members of Budget Light Forum have been on a roll lately. They have four different group buys going on right now for custom flashlights that have been modded or designed by BLF members. These are not just discounted prices for existing flashlights. These are custom flashlights.

The BLF A6 Special Edition is the one now in production. I ordered two at Banggood last week. If it lives up to its promise, $25 USD will get you a very nice tube light.

• Cree XP-L emitter
  • Three tint choices: 1A, 3D, and 5A
  • 1x 18650 battery
  • Turbo (steps down after 45 seconds): Estimated 1200-1400 lumens stock, depending on battery
  • Up to 1600 lumens if modded with spring bypass and using a high-draw 30A battery
  • Choose between two mode groups. First has 7 constant output levels. Second has 4 constant output levels. Both include additional, hidden strobe and blinky modes.
  • Noctigon Copper mcpcb
  • Driver designed by BLF member Wight
  • UI designed by BLF member ToyKeeper
  • Software written by BLF member ToyKeeper
  • Host based on Eagle Eye A6, modified for deep-carry clip
  • Manufactured for BLF by Manker
On high modes, the BLF A6 uses a FET running in direct drive, so current—and light output—is limited by the battery rather than the driver.

There are talks underway with Manker to see whether an optional 18350 battery tube can be made. Price to be $4.50, including an extra deep-carry clip.

Output Levels and User Interface (2015-Oct-13)

I have corrected the step-down period given above to 45 seconds (from 30 seconds). The BLF A6 uses this step-down because turbo mode overdrives the emitter at levels that can be as high as 5+ amps (with a spring bypass, and using the best high-discharge batteries).

Running stock, on a battery such as the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh, you can expect 1100-1200 lumens on turbo. After 45 seconds, the step-down takes you to the next lower level. If you have selected the 7-mode group, that should be around 700-750 lumens. The exact numbers depend on tint, battery state, and so on.

The BLF A6 Special Edition works great in stock form...

[The following is copied from this prior post.]

The BLF A6 Special Edition works great in stock form. Running on something like the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh, it outputs between 1100 and 1200 lumens.

The BLF A6, however, is designed to be a burner. It uses a Noctigon copper mcpcb and a FET driver that runs in direct-drive mode on the highest setting. After a spring bypass, and using the best high-draw batteries, some owners have reported getting between 1500 and 1600 lumens on their 1A-tint flashlights. We're talking about more than 5A!

Because of this, the BLF A6 uses a timed step-down of only 45 seconds. The step-down takes you from turbo to the next lower level. See the chart below.

In addition to this thermal step-down, the BLF A6 also steps down as its battery voltage wanes. It steps down one level at a time, until the final step down from moonlight turns the flashlight off completely. Low-voltage cutoff occurs at 2.9v.

Due to the direct-drive nature of the BLF A6, it is impossible to state output in terms of lumens. The FET will feed as many amps as the battery can supply. There are two output groups. Here are the percentages. For the FET, 100% = turbo, the highest mode. For the 7135, 100% = 350mA.

Group 1 – Seven Modes
Mode7135 PowerFET Power
Moonlight0.8%0%
Low8%0%
Med 143%0%
Med 2100%2.7%
High 1100%22%
High 2100%54%
Turbo0%100%

Group 2 – Four Modes
Mode7135 PowerFET Power
Low8%0%
Med90%0%
High100%35%
Turbo0%100%

If I understand this correctly, then you can estimate lumen output in High 2 mode as follows. Suppose you are running a stock BLF A6 at 1150 lumens. 54% of that is 621 lumens. That's what the FET is doing. Add to that the output from the 7135 running at 100%. That should be something like 100-150 lumens. The result is that High 2 outputs approximately 750 lumens.

You can make a similar calculation to see what the modded BLF A6 can do.

Note that the BLF A6 uses PWM in most modes. The firmware developer ToyKeeper explained the PWM for me in detail:

The A6 uses PWM on all modes except turbo and the two strobes. The frequency varies from ~14 kHz to ~18 kHz depending on the exact unit, except moon runs at half that speed for extra stability. On med-high modes, the 7135 chip stays on all the time while the FET channel pulses with PWM, so it never actually shuts completely off. Shower tests won't be sufficient to detect PWM this fast, but it can be seen by very rapidly moving a thin white card through the beam, or by measuring the pulses with a suitable digital multimeter.

When selfbuilt reviewed a similar light (SL2), he said it had no PWM but he detected some "high-frequency circuit noise" at 15 kHz. That was actually PWM he was seeing, but I guess he didn't recognize it. So it's a common misconception; even some of the most experienced reviewers may get a little confused about fast PWM… and the A6's two-channel version is even harder to see.

[Emphasis added.]

I have been using the A6 extensively on all modes, and in my usage, I have not seen any flicker.

The BLF A6 has an innovative user interface designed by BLF member ToyKeeper. The flashlight has a reverse-clicky tail switch. Regular half-presses cycle from low to high. Long half-presses cycle in the reverse direction, from high to low. It is a very nice design. With seven different levels, it is very useful to be able to step up or down.

A long half-press from the lowest setting in either mode group takes you to turbo mode. From there, subsequent long half-presses cycle through the blinky modes. At any time, you can exit the blinky modes with a regular half-press.

Some Bumps Along the Way (2015-Oct-17)

The group buy has not been trouble free. Manker, the company that is manufacturing the custom design by BLF, has had a few problems. None of them should should discourage someone from buying a BLF A6, but there have been enough of them that they deserve mentioning. Most of them affected only a small number of flashlights, and most of them have been fixed.

• Flashlight threads not standard. The original plan was to have parts from the BLF A6 be interchangeable with the earlier BLF X6 Special Edition. Something slipped during manufacturing, however, and the A6 threads are only compatible with the A6. No biggie. The A6 will still have a "shorty" tube that can be swapped with its regular tube when you want to run on an 18350 battery. The shorty tube is an optional accessory that will be sold separately.
  • Tubes not bored directly through their centers. Early on, a small number of lights were bored so that the wall of the tube was thicker on one side than on the other.
  • Deep-carry clips had excessively large "wings." The BLF A6 uses a snap-on clip. The round part that snaps around the flashlight has little "wings" at each end so that the flashlight does not get scratched when attaching the clip. The wings bend out a little, away from the flashlight. With the clip in place, early versions protruded from the side of the flashlight more than they should have.
  • Moonlight (and sometimes other modes) not working. This problem relates to 7135 and other chips that were improperly soldered or damaged during assembly. Only a small number of lights are involved. Sometimes your moonlight mode fails completely. Other times moonlight fails, and there is no difference in output between a couple of the modes that are working.
  • Emitter centering ring can slice emitter dome. Inside the head, there is a white, plastic centering ring that fits over the emitter. It centers the emitter, and is held into place by pressure from the bottom of the reflector. When you screw or unscrew the bezel, sometimes the lens, reflector, and centering ring will all spin as the bezel turns. In some cases, the sharp edge of the plastic has sliced into the emitter dome, partially or completely dedoming it. This causes a distinct tint-shift to yellow.
This last problem is one that lingers on. Most of us will never unscrew the bezel, but if you do, it is important to press down on the lens (with something like the eraser of a pencil) as you turn the bezel. Pressing down on the lens will hold the lens, reflector, and centering ring in place while you unscrew the bezel. This makes it so they don't spin. If you do that, you should not have any problems with the centering ring cutting into the emitter dome. Use the same process when you screw the bezel back on.

Banggood has been very good about fixing any problems. There is a special contact person who deals with A6 issues. You are stuck with your off-center tube and protruding wings on the clip (not a big deal), but broken drivers and emitters are all being fixed for free.

Banggood is sending me a free head to fix the broken moonlight mode in one of my A6s. Six out of the seven levels worked fine. The seventh, moonlight, did not. There was no fuss and no requirement for me to send back my broken flashlight. I am stuck, however, with the awkward clips I received. I will swap them with the new clips that will be included with the shorty tubes I am planning to buy.

No-hassle Repair (2015-Aug-22)

My replacement head was sent out on Oct. 8 and arrived Oct. 19. I made the quick swap, and now I have moonlight mode back. I have been using the flashlight for a couple of days now. Works great.

No charge, no hassle, and no need to return the defective head. Banggood did a nice job handling this repair.

Mountain Electronics Custom A6 (2015-Nov-03)

Mountain Electronics is now selling parts you can use to build your own A6 inside a Convoy S-series host. You can order the same emitters, driver, and firmware that make the BLF A6 so nice. For a small fee, Mountain Electronics will build the light for you. If you decide to go that way, ask Richard to do the spring-bypass for you.

Check with Richard about the switch, as well. After a spring-bypass, the A6 driver can pull as much as 5+ amps. Make sure your switch can handle that.

One buyer reported that the price for parts was around $37-$38 USD, depending which host you select. When shipping is added in, that price is not very different than what Banggood is selling the original BLF A6 for.

Beam Shots (2015-Dec-10)

Against my white wall (that is actually a bit warmer than neutral), I can see a little of the yellow that shows up in these photos. I think the photos do tend to exaggerate it somewhat. In normal usage, I do not notice it.

For these pictures, I shot at normal exposure, and also 1 and 2 stops below. Both flashlights are set to Med 1 mode (i.e., third lowest). The standard BLF A6 is on the left. The shorty A6, on the right.

BLF_A6_5.jpg

BLF_A6_6.jpg

BLF_A6_4.jpg

Last edited:

xzel87

Enlightened
Ordered 2 myself, 3D tint ran out unfortunately before I could get it, it's still being made but couldn't wait so ordered 5A and 1A.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please make note that the driver Wight designed is an FET+1 set-up, this uses the MOSFET for direct drive in the high modes, as you said, but it also uses a single 7135 350mA chip to run the lower modes. This is key because of the fact that PWM is using only 350mA instead of the full 5A+ the light is capable of, making lower modes highly efficient. As the user shifts through the default 7 modes, the FET starts kicking in, running high and Turbo at full power.

There are also key features, such as group selection by quickly pressing the switch some 16 times to get into the group selection mode, then, after seeing a double blink, turn the light off to enter the lights 4 mode group. Doing this sequence again and waiting through the double blink for a second double blink will allow the user to select or de-select off time memory. By default, the light starts in moon at all times.

Also, even though this is a tail clicky light, a long press (approx 1/2 second) will reverse direction. Turning the light on then pressing the switch in this manner will enter a hidden loop, going straight into Turbo, a second long press enters Strobe, a third enters a battery check which can also be used as a beacon and a 4th enters a bicycle strobe. The battery check gives 5 blinks for a 4.35V or overcharged condition, 4 blinks for 100% (4.2V) 3 blinks for 75% 2 blinks for 50% and 1 blink for 25%. LVP kicks in at 3V and turns the light off at 2.8V.

This is a very nice, adequately advance driver that utilizes nice sets in a normal clicky light, no parasitic drain when off. The switch is a reverse clicky small Omten.

These features are available because of ToyKeeper, Wight made the driver and fine tuned it to function flawlessly, ToyKeeper made it fit our needs to perfection, even fine tuning the spacing of the modes to be pleasing to the eye and how well the off time cap responds to "brown out" mode selection. For me, this is the epitome of the flashaholics dream light. :) (yes, I am a tester for the group buy and have been using this in many lights now, loving it and addicted to it!)

I have a horrible memory for things such as fancy UI's. But obviously, this one I'm passionate about! lol What a light! I know, it might seem complicated to see it written down as I have, but in use, it's so simple it's perfect... even for folks like me with a horrid memory.

Don't miss out!

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks like one interesting light that had a lot of work go in to it. Going to try one out. :)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't miss out!

Thanks, DBCstm. There is not much I can add to your great explanation.

The BLF A6 is designed to be a burner. In its highest modes, the A6 uses direct drive. That means it will feed as much current as it can get from the battery to the emitter. In order to get its highest output, however, you must mod the light by adding a spring bypass. That's a short wire that is soldered onto the spring in the tail cap. It goes from one end of the spring to the other. In addition, you must run unprotected batteries that are rated for high discharge.

That combination yields 1600 lumens in turbo mode. After a short 30 seconds, the A6 steps down from turbo to high. You can step back up immediately, but the light will quickly begin to get very hot at that level. Turbo is intended only for short blasts.

The XP-L emitter used by the BLF A6 is mounted on a copper Noctigon mcpcb. This provides very good heat sinking. Because of it, the XP-L can be driven at much higher current levels than normal. In testing by DBCstm and others, the A6 was able to push over 5A through the LED. That's how you get 1600+ lumens in turbo mode.

If you don't want to do the spring bypass, you can still maximize output by selecting unprotected, high-draw batteries. One good choice is the Samsung INR18650 - 30Q 3000mAh. As part of the group buy, Banggood has supplied a coupon code that allows you to purchase them for $5.84 USD each. You can find the code in post #3571 of the A6 thread at BLF.

For those who prefer protected batteries, one good choice is the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh. Mountain Electronics has them for $10.15. This battery is rated for a continuous 10A discharge, so it will do pretty well in the A6. Don't expect, however, that output will reach 1600 lumens. A stock A6 (without the spring bypass) running this battery will probably get something closer to 1200-1300 lumens, but there have not been any tests to verify this as yet.

Regardless of the battery used, the A6 has progressive step-downs when battery voltage gets low. When the voltage drops too low, a low-voltage cutoff turns off the flashlight completely. You are thus protected from over-discharge.

There are two mode groups in the A6. One has 4 constant-output levels. The other has 7. You can switch between them using the 16-click procedure described by DBCstm above.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered 2 myself, 3D tint ran out unfortunately before I could get it, it's still being made but couldn't wait so ordered 5A and 1A.

The initial run was for 1000 lights, 500 of which use the neutral-white 3D tint. Initial production, however, was for 150 using a neutral/warm 5A tint and 350 using cool-white 1A. The 3D is expected to be available in a matter of days.

Guess you'll just have to order one of those next week!

Manker and Banggood have announced their intention to keep this group buy open for as long as there is demand. They will not stop at 1000 flashlights. When demand falls off, the group buy will end. Manker/Banggood have the right to continue making/selling the light after that, but they have no obligation to do so. If they choose to continue making it, it won't be sold at the price available in the group buy.

sanders

Newly Enlightened
Dear Forum - I am new Member from Switzerland and I would like to order one BLF Manker A6 - is this still possible?

Thanks,
Michael

onthebeam

Enlightened
Was thinking of getting similar format Convoy in red. Early reviews of build quality on the huge group buy seem mixed.

Thoughts on whether blf is still a no brainer at $25 versus less for lower lumens Convoy?I prefer smaller lights for edc so this would get occasional use. I'm a red kinda guy with four red cars in a row over 25 years and a red Schwinn fastback bike way back when.

Last edited:

xzel87

Enlightened
You could cerakote it red, or any colour you want. This light is great for what it is, the thought put into it, and at 25 dollars to boot. It also has all the modes a fancy electronic switch has with a reverse clicky, I'm not aware of any other production light with that.

Seriously, even if you end up not liking it, it's only 25 dollars...Im pretty sure alot of us here (not me though can't afford it) on cpf has spent much more on a light and for whatever reason it doesn't get used, is given away, or sits in a drawer or shelf.

markr6

Flashaholic
Ahhh backorder :( I ordered one last week but won't restock until 10/27. Well that's what my email said. The website says 10/20. Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh backorder :( I ordered one last week but won't restock until 10/27. Well that's what my email said. The website says 10/20. Either way, I'm looking forward to it!
Yeah, just got that same email.

Status
Not open for further replies.