Zoom lights ??? the good, the bag, and the ugly please ....

Wishiwereaskibum

Newly Enlightened
Hello flashaholics! I'm wondering why most lights being discussed in there are NON-Zoomable? I'm a newbie here, but have a couple dozen lights and actually like the zoomable ones a lot for versatility. I realize that perhaps a well made fixed focal length might be better, but it it really that much better to out-weigh the versatility of a spot-flood "all in one"?

I'm thinking of getting another EDC with a great interface, and probably have too much time on my hands to research this! lol. Seriously, I'd like your informed thoughts on zoom lights v. fixed focal lengths, and why most quality products seem to be fixed.

Of course, any recommendations on a $30-40 EDC (??? zoom ??) would be great.

Thanks - Merci - Gracias - Danke - grazi - 谢谢 - 感謝

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheap spot to flood is out there (Sipik 68,) but you sacrifice some output to get this functionality. Most optics solutions give more "out-the-front" lumens than a Sipik 68 with aspheric optics can.

Example: Swapping to aspherics in a p60 host (no emitter swap) gives LESS light than the standard P60 reflector. It may or may not give a tighter max throw, which is what some people are looking for.

The monster long range throwers are not necessarily the brightest in lumens.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with op in that zoomies are nice to have. I edc a one that I modded & a coast polysteel that I always have near by. Both zoomies but my edc is a slider, which I don't care for as much as a twisty.
Just my 2¢.

kamote1half

Newly Enlightened
I started with the Led Lenser P series, P3, P5, and P7. And i love them. Having flood and throw capability is pretty neat, for me. The flood is great for walking, especially if you are in a group as a wide area is lit up. My EDC before was a P5, and when i got my Olight i1, I still EDC'ed my P5 along with my i1 on my keychain, and a couple of extra battery, you know, those 'just in case you need them' moments.

Now my EDC is my i1 and S15, but every now and then i carry with my the P7 which serves as my primary walking light, S15 as back up and i1 as back up of my back up. :rock:

Wishiwereaskibum

Newly Enlightened
Hi Fritz! Thanks for the agreement that a zoomie is a nice all around option. Do you have any recommendations for a decent one with "LOTS" of light ? LOL, yea, and one that won't break the bank. I've got a couple e-bay cheapies that claim 300 or 1000 Lumens, and both are OK lights, but of poor quality build, and NO WAY near their claimed Lm. Appreciate the ideas, and keep shining light on this subject! (pun NOT intended (LMAO)

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Fritz! Thanks for the agreement that a zoomie is a nice all around option. Do you have any recommendations for a decent one with "LOTS" of light ? LOL, yea, and one that won't break the bank. I've got a couple e-bay cheapies that claim 300 or 1000 Lumens, and both are OK lights, but of poor quality build, and NO WAY near their claimed Lm. Appreciate the ideas, and keep shining light on this subject! (pun NOT intended (LMAO)

Well..... I'm a diy kinda guy so..... When it comes to lights, if I don't like the way it is stock.... I unstock it! ;)
My edc is a modded Sam's club special. Took a 3aaa holder out, tweaked the switch as such to accept an 18650, yanked the POS low bin xre & driver out and crammed a mtn electronics cc driver in along with a custom mounted dedomed xm-l2 warm white. Yes it gets a lil toasty on high but man does it throw lumens when ya need em! I'd say roughly 1klm on high and I've ran it longer than 10 mins that way.
The only other change I'd make is making it a twisty focus rather than a slider.
My Coast on the other hand.... It's a beast & I love it, but too big to edc comfortably.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Sure. I've got a half dozen Sipik AA lights in various colors to knock around, a Coast HP5 AA light, a titanium Lens Light KO 18650, and quite a few Maglites in different sizes, and I think they're all fine.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jack of all is a master of non, to most here..
But if you love it, it's pretty easy to go from a jack to a king!
Lol sorry..😲

Does convoy make a zoom host for the original poster to maybe get modded up?

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD35 – Zoom, XP-L and IPX-8

A couple of nice features: XP-L and IPX-8.

I have read that it is difficult to make a waterproof flashlight that has an adjustable focus.

I have not tried the Fenix LD35, but with a maximum output of 1060 lumens, it certainly looks interesting. Its one of the new models that showed up in the 2015 Fenix catalog.

Historically, zoomies have had poor beam quality, loaded with dark spots and artifacts. Is this one an exception?

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Does convoy make a zoom host for the original poster to maybe get modded up?

Jax Z1 looks a pretty decent zoomable light that can be modded:)

The lenser t7 i had and dropped more times than i can remember, that was gifted and is still going strong. Many more drops later :laughing: . Although i dont use much these days(CQvn stopped that) i am still quite fond of my t7.2 . As said a useful light ,makes a good general house or glove box light. 1/2 decent flood and throw which is run on AAA loops to avoid any potential leaks .
One thing i do like over the p7.2 is the lockable head,saves any unwanted zooming!! which did get frustrating at times on the older t7/p7.........imo anyway.

:)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love zoom flashlights. I probably own 20 of them. They are in many ways more useful than fixed focus lights and they're fun to mod.

Here's a bit of basic info on zoom lights
:

[Followed by 2 pages of 1st rate information about zooming flashlights.]

Instead of copying all of what Fireclaw had to say, let me just recommend you follow this link. Its a great primer on zoom flashlights.

I found one "high-end" zoomie, made by Tovatec, recommended in the same thread. On the Tovatec web site, I found the Tovatec IFL WA ZOOM and a rechargeable version, the Tovatec IFL WA ZOOM-R. I know nothing about the company or its flashlights, but they may be worth checking out.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not all zoomables have artifact laden beams. Even the $20 tasco 3 packs at sams have perfectly even beam profiles. Ringless, artifact free.

My current long time edc is an even lower cost zoomable. Not as perfect a beam as above, but versatile, throwy, the best edc I've ever carried. Best all around light I've ever owned really.

Im a huge fan of zoomables. Versatile, and cheap, most of them.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about getting one of those Automatic Zoom lights. Those look super cheesy. I (waisted my time) saw a review on youtube and the motor that moves the head is awfully loud. It doesn't sound like it would hold up for more than a dozen or so zooms. Much less if you were to drop it.

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
Not all zoomables have artifact laden beams. Even the $20 tasco 3 packs at sams have perfectly even beam profiles. Ringless, artifact free.

My current long time edc is an even lower cost zoomable. Not as perfect a beam as above, but versatile, throwy, the best edc I've ever carried. Best all around light I've ever owned really.

Im a huge fan of zoomables. Versatile, and cheap, most of them.

And that zoomable EDC is......... ???

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
zoomies feature only the main beam, nothing around,
that has a few "advantages":
* when on full zoom and being at the woods, the beam reaches very far (as the eye is not blinded from spill light from nearby objects)
* when on full wide - say reading a book/newspaper - there usually is a nice, even wall of light

but that comes on cost of:
* ruggedness,
* protection from the elements
* much less proportion of light that goes directed into main beam (compared to a real focusing device, (which is reflector or optic))
* spill light that shows what is outside the main beam
* complexity of production

overall there is a reason why they feature a "niche" life, the less good points are excessive
(and a typical reflector beam - one from a very cheap light/reflector - is the better compromise for anything except the full zoom part)
((and then there are the better reflectored lights and these do even better ...))

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
zoomies feature only the main beam, nothing around,
that has a few "advantages":
* when on full zoom and being at the woods, the beam reaches very far (as the eye is not blinded from spill light from nearby objects)
* when on full wide - say reading a book/newspaper - there usually is a nice, even wall of light

but that comes on cost of:
* ruggedness,
* protection from the elements
* much less proportion of light that goes directed into main beam (compared to a real focusing device, (which is reflector or optic))
* spill light that shows what is outside the main beam
* complexity of production

overall there is a reason why they feature a "niche" life, the less good points are excessive
(and a typical reflector beam - one from a very cheap light/reflector - is the better compromise for anything except the full zoom part)
((and then there are the better reflectored lights and these do even better ...))

I respectfully disagree.
My coast polysteel has a hybrid lens that allows for beautiful flood but the spot has great throw with adequate flood as well.
There are plenty of zoomies available that preform both well. Just need to take your time, test lights, mod if desired, to get what you want.

Wishiwereaskibum

Newly Enlightened
Really good stuff in here guys, THANKS! However, please forget the idea that I'm going to mod anything... I simply don't have the time. One more question, I'd really like a light that's got a low, medium, and high power as well as possible a moonlight feature too. Yea, this is maybe a dream, but keep the ideas rolling. Oh, and btw, I've got a Fenix PD35 TAC arriving at my house tomorrow with some high cap LiPO's and a charger too... Can't wait to see 960 Lumens!!! Still want something like the coast HP1, but dim able too. That's a great laptop /airplane/ travel light!!!