Nitrolon rules

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see why they obsoleted Surefire 6P and such. Nitrolon such as G2x is lighter, seems more durable, does not turn into a icicle during winter, does not create sharp edges if you drop it on the pavement. It's very well made and sticks to the hand. It's the Glock of the lites. About the only downside is that most of them don't take the common 18650 cell but I can live with that since I already have a gazillion lites that do, and this one is relegated exclusively to the 123s (or 16650 if I must).

So I am sold on the concept. It has my official approval. Strangely G2x is the only "genuine" SF I have instead of Legos and I like it.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see why they obsoleted Surefire 6P and such.

LOL, what? The 6P is alive and well, as are numerous aluminum bodied Surefires. Even the G2X has an aluminum head.

I agree that nitrolon is great - I have a G2-YL at home and I really enjoy taking it camping when it is cold outside.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only downside I see to the plastic-only is trying to go high drain. Not so optimal thermal path. With moderate drive, it's no issue as well.

I rock a SF E series E2D with an Oveready head on a regular basis. :)

Nitrolon is like SF's beater budget light. Good stuff! :)

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was initially surprised by how much I liked Nitrolon. The grip is outstanding and it really does feel solid. Good stuff indeed.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only downside I see to the plastic-only is trying to go high drain. Not so optimal thermal path. With moderate drive, it's no issue as well.

Agreed. This is why my G2 houses a M61LLL 219A drop in. I never have to worry about heat! If I ever need a "throwier" package, I reinstall the P60 LA :devil:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the G2x runs at 320 lumens in the high mode and apparently they think it's OK to put that kind of lumens in there. I haven't run it in that mode very much to confirm it's OK.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your max tailcap current is 2amps-ish, shouldn't be a problem AFAIK. It'll only get better as efficiency of emitters goes up.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the G2x runs at 320 lumens in the high mode and apparently they think it's OK to put that kind of lumens in there. I haven't run it in that mode very much to confirm it's OK.

The G2X has an aluminum head which helps with heat dissipation. I'm referring to the original G2 which was 100% nitrolon, with the exception of the sleeve inside the body.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always had a special spot in my heart for Nitrolon, as my first light as an early G2, before the lockout tailcap. I now have another G2, with a 400 lumen triple mode Nichia 219B drop in running on an Efest 16650. As a friend used to say, "Works great, lasts long time!"

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you Tim - the G2 was the first "serious" light I bought. I mounted it on a rifle and after a few sets of primaries, bought a Chinese made Cree LED based drop in. This was before I knew better :devil: Then a friend of mine gave me the 6P off his rifle as a thank you for helping him sell it, and thus began my obsession with quality lights.

That G2 served faithfully for years, and I considered it a bargain at $35 from my local Bass Pro Shops. Eventually I dropped the coin on a Scout Light, and sold the G2 somewhere along the way. As a matter of fact, a stock G2 would work just as well as a weaponlight today as it did 10 years ago.

You know, I think I'll dig my G2-YL out of the closet and give it some use for old time's sake.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love them too!
My recent favorite is the G3 I made to run on 2AA with some rolled bills as reducing sleeves to take up the slack.
Sort of a Survival Light!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love them too!
My recent favorite is the G3 I made to run on 2AA with some rolled bills as reducing sleeves to take up the slack.

Yeah, another one to try is M61LLL Malkoff module. The runtime is great on 2xAA.

You will get very bright if you use Lithiums and dimmer, but longer on Alkalines.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, another one to try is M61LLL Malkoff module. The runtime is great on 2xAA.

You will get very bright if you use Lithiums and dimmer, but longer on Alkalines.
I already have an LL in that one and a G2 with an LLL so I know what you mean.

I also have a Nailbender warm drop-in that I keep trying but is in a Solarforce 2aa host right now.
I like the Nitrolon feel the best overall I think.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love them too!

Please tell me you used $100s.. because you deserve a beer haha

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a pity Surefire doesn't license Nitrolon to other companies.

I wouldn't mind a Nitrolon HDS.

Aluminum gets pretty cold in the wintertime.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep I like them too, nice for the car (as backup light)

G2-YL, aluminum head, clicky installed
Black with clicky installed
Camo (Realtree) - only one I saw come up so I paid big time for it....

Great grip in the wet. But I generally reach for OR Moddoolar.....