Color Changing LED

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Does anyone here know of an LED that can change colors. I read about an LED like this in Popular Science this month, but the short paragraph on the topic didn't reveal any other details.

I'd be interested in an LED that can shine both white and red.

Thanks
StayInTheLight

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the ARC AAA RGB only flashes those colors. I'd be interested to see a flashlight that you can select white and then select red. White for general task lighting and red for preserving night-sight and power.

p.s. ... it'd be even better if it were a AA battery flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
There are the dual-color Eternalights which have 2xwhite and 2xred/green LEDs and run on 3xAA.
Then you can get the SF A2 ... a regulated incan paired with 3xLED (color of choice), but it runs of 2x123.
bernhard

jtice

Flashaholic
They make RGB leds that have 4 leads. 1 neg. 3 pos.
Then you can select which color you want to use.

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. But I don't think I was being clear when I was asking my last question.

I was wondering if there was a flashlight out there that uses only 1 color changing LED bulb.

StayInTheLight

Newly Enlightened
Here's the little paragraph that I read in Popular Science

07.15.2003 Bright idea
Quantum dots, nanoscopic particles of semiconductor prized for there light-emiting and color-tuning properties (merely changing the particle size alters the color of light emitted), are used for the first time in a white-light LED.

LEDependent

Enlightened
First of all, that LED in the PS article is prototype, not production. Secondly, LED's that can change color are made up of R, G, and B diodes. None that I have seen are just RED and WHITE. You would have to rig up something that would switch between 100% Red and the right combination of all three colors to get white. The rave lights use those LEDs, as does the ARC RGB.