What's that word?

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long have I wanted an app or website that can suggest words that fit a given definition, you know, kind of like Jeopardy for words.
I've not found it yet, so I'm starting this thread with an actual request for suggestions of a word I need. Feel free to ask for suggestions or pose a definition for others to thinking about just for fun.

I need an adjective that describes someone as "having a strong desire to see retribution or finding great satisfaction in knowing that the party in the wrong has been punished by retribution." For example, a dealer that provides terrible customer service quickly goes out of business because no one buys from them anymore. This brings me great satisfaction, because I'm __________.

I'm not looking for words like vengeful or vindictive, because those have to do with directly seeking revenge. I'm talking more about have a strong desire to see karma do its thing.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, friend, "Bird is the word."

The "app" your asking for is called a "thesaurus." Not to be confused with the Saurus named Roget from the "Quest for Glory" game series. :)

http://www.thesaurus.com/

Well, the problem is to use a thesaurus, you need to know a similar word to begin with. More often than not, I'm drawing a blank on finding even a similar word.
I've checked the thesaurus and did not find anything that fits.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
For example, a dealer that provides terrible customer service quickly goes out of business because no one buys from them anymore. This brings me great satisfaction, because I'm __________.
...because I'm honorable.

?

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about new tech, but old tech it was called Word Menu
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345414411/?tag=cpf0b6-20

And the word you seek is schadenfreude

Dan, I don't think that fits either, as it means taking pleasure in another's suffering, which has a 100% negative connotation, as opposed to finding satisfaction in seeing the wrong and the bad get what's coming to them, retribution for wrongdoing or bad behavior. Taking pleasure in seeing justice done, not in another's suffering.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Think this doesn´t work because Schadenfreude is a substantive so "...because i am schadenfreude" appears not to be right to me, sounds at least strange.

An adjective "schadenfroh" appears to fit better in my opinion, the sequence would go "...because i am (a) schadenfroh(e) / gleeful / mischievous / gloating (person)" then ?

Cheers

RBR

We've only imported one form, so we would have to rearrange the sentence: "I feel a sense of schadenfreude because..."

Schadenfroh hasn't made it yet and I don't even know how to pronounce it. But thanks!

Dan, I don't think that fits either, as it means taking pleasure in another's suffering, which has a 100% negative connotation, as opposed to finding satisfaction in seeing the wrong and the bad get what's coming to them, retribution for wrongdoing or bad behavior. Taking pleasure in seeing justice done, not in another's suffering.

In the U.S. culture of justice, schadenfreude is usually presented in the context of comeuppance or karma so that's my first association. Good luck with your search!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Ah, O.K., sorry. It´s pronounced like the "schaden" you already know from schadenfreude and that "froh" following instead of "freude" is pronounced like "bro", just with a "f" prior to the "r" instead.

Cheers

RBR

Ah, that does help. Does it still describe a feeling in this form (which is transient) or as one of the examples suggests, the nature of a person (which is not)? Put another way, is a person schadenfroh in general (like being greedy) or just their feelings about a particular person or situation?

Last edited: