Surefire Intellibeam - Any personal experience to report ?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Intellibeam

I performed a search about a minute before Forrrest posted, and found about four active threads that included it as a topic. Happy reading.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Intellibeam

One of the results was Teak's sales thread. He stated on a thread that he sent the first one back due to an issue. I'd say he's got experience.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
You start a lot of threads. It's easier and reduces clutter using the search feature in the upper right of your screen.
FWIW, I see that the OP has created 13 threads in 2015 while you're at 49 in the same time period? :confused:

I looked, but I couldn't find anyone with personal experience with this technology.
OP, I've added info to your thread title to clarify your interests on this. Hope this helps,

Last edited:

Lantern32

Enlightened
FWIW, I see that the OP has created 13 threads in 2015 while you're at 49 in the same time period? :confused:

OP, I've added info to your thread title to clarify your interests.

Kestrel, thank you very much. I appreciate your response. If I am causing a disturbance, please let me know. I always appreciate being told if I am doing something wrong. Hope to see you around the forums!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Kestrel, thank you very much. I appreciate your response. If I am causing a disturbance, please let me know. I always appreciate being told if I am doing something wrong. [...]
No worries, it takes at least 50 threads in a year to cause any issues with CPF staff. :) Best of luck,

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok - I'll jump in. Surefire sent me one to evaluate for TheFirearmBlog.com where I serve as a staff writer. I used it (and continue to use it) quite a bit when I walk my dog early in the morning. I find the intellibeam feature useful for that particular task. The beam's adjusting is almost imperceptible, but it is adjusting - whether I'm shining it at a distance, down directly in front of the dog, or even lighting my watch face (before I got my Apple Watch :) ).

There are some good video reviews out there, too. It seems to have a very quick adjustment/reaction time. My only gripe is with the interface - I'd like to be able to manually control multiple levels - you can only activate the intellibeam or click again to lock the level to high.

Nothing to do with the technology of the intellibeam, but the tint on mine leans toward greenish. I wish Surefire would source, at the very least, a consistent white tint. After all, these are $200 lights, but I suppose some users don't care about the tint - YMMV.

So it's a cool technology...implemented pretty well.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked, but I couldn't find anyone with personal experience with this technology.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Intellibeam&p=4705344&viewfull=1#post4705344

For what it's worth Lantern, this is the same reason I jumped ship on SF. All advertising no delivery IMO, I have had duplicate issues light after light. They are pushing these things out the door with poor engineering / testing and no QC. People will argue, but you will catch a few old timers that have thousands of dollars in SureFires and they agree the company has hit a new low. People are finally catching on that SF isn't the same company.

FWIW, I see that the OP has created 13 threads in 2015 while you're at 49 in the same time period?

3.5 threads per month if you subtract sales & "cheers" threads. For the most part the threads are original as far as I can tell. Is that wildly exorbitant? I was more calling attention to the search feature and it seems some of his threads are thrown up without searching. We didn't exactly get along in another thread, so I felt only the relevant info for a response would be appropriate and also provided a link as to not to come off as abrasive or offensive. I was going to skip FroggyTacos comment as I didn't really feel in context, that it was relevant to the thread. More like a nudge for a response. But since it's been mentioned twice now, I guess it needs to be addressed?

:hahaha:

No worries, it takes at least 50 threads in a year to cause any issues with CPF staff. Best of luck,

Luckily by my count I have at least 11.5 threads until next month to hit the 50 limit… I got some reviews coming up. Plus you know you love those doggies.

Last edited:

Lantern32

Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Intellibeam&p=4705344&viewfull=1#post4705344

For what it's worth Lantern, this is the same reason I jumped ship on SF. All advertising no delivery IMO, I have had duplicate issues light after light. They are pushing these things out the door with poor engineering / testing and no QC. People will argue, but you will catch a few old timers that have thousands of dollars in SureFires and they agree the company has hit a new low. People are finally catching on that SF isn't the same company.

3.5 threads per month if you subtract sales & "cheers" threads. For the most part the threads are original as far as I can tell. Is that wildly exorbitant? I was more calling attention to the search feature and it seems some of his threads are thrown up without searching. We didn't exactly get along in another thread, so I felt only the relevant info for a response would be appropriate and also provided a link as to not to come off as abrasive or offensive. I was going to skip FroggyTacos comment as I didn't really feel in context, that it was relevant to the thread. More like a nudge for a response. But since it's been mentioned twice now, I guess it needs to be addressed?

:hahaha:

Luckily by my count I have at least 11.5 threads until next month to hit the 50 limit… I got some reviews coming up. Plus you know you love those doggies.

I've heard that surefire lights are still pretty good. Even though they had that one bad batch of switches, they seemed to clean that up pretty quickly. You think Malkoff would be significantly better than Surefire?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] You think Malkoff would be significantly better than Surefire?
LOL, now it's me suggesting to search for threads on that topic - there are many.

Malkoff dropin upgrades have been a gold standard for the older 'open' P/C/Z Surefire flashlights for quite a long time. There is also quite a following for Malkoff flashlights here on CPF.

Lantern32

Enlightened
LOL, now it's me suggesting to search for threads on that topic - there are many.

Malkoff dropin upgrades have been a gold standard for the older 'open' P/C/Z Surefire flashlights for quite a long time. There is also quite a following for Malkoff flashlights here on CPF.

LOL okay! I'm actually quite honored you are commenting on my thread! Thank you very much! I sound so silly! One last opinion from you... if I may? 250 lumens... Is that enough for an EDC? I could get a 1000 lumens light the same size from Vinh, but it wouldn't be a Malkoff.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can use a Malkoff light with one RCR123 or 2 primaries. do you think one will work better?

The only option Im aware to use RCR123 is with one of the MDC and there are options for 18650 with dropins. Each head / dropin will tell you in the specs what not to use. You can also email Malkoff directly once you know what you want to make a recomendation. They are very friendly and fast to respond.

I always suggest primaries as they are cheap, safe and convenient provided you follow a few simple rules. If you are a CPF member you can get 50 CR123 for $60 shipped from Battery Station.

Never mix and match batteries, keep them dry and NEVER use CR123 Primary China cells. This is a safety issue not a political opinion. Use MADE IN USA CR123 ONLY.

Basically, keep the same batch and brand together in a dry place until they are ready to use. Once they go into the light, they stay in the light until the cells are depleted. It's also good to not run multiple cells all the way to the very, very end.

If you follow the rules, it's HIGHLY unlikely you will have an issue. If you mix and match / use china cells / or deplete cells until they are absolutely depleted you raise the risk of "venting with flame" which is extremely dangerous and well documented on CPF. The first 2 are the most dangerous.

Last edited:
There was a time I couldn't see the Forrest for the trees. I don't remember why, but his posts bugged me; I'm sure there was good reason. Lately I enjoy most everything he writes. Before someone accuses me of having a Bromance, I'll take my leave. Oh, speaking of Bromance, check out post 14. I kid.

It's hard to fault a new thread, that perhaps mirrors a few others, when it gives way to such helpfulness as posted above.

~ Chance

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
One last opinion from you... if I may? 250 lumens... Is that enough for an EDC? I could get a 1000 lumens light the same size from Vinh, but it wouldn't be a Malkoff.

Unless you are a member of a local search and rescue (SAR) team, yes, I think 250 lumens is plenty for your average EDC flashlight.

If you're in security, law enforcement, maritime, or other jobs where you need a LOT of light for a LONG distance, then 250 lumens may not cut it.