The best simple-use EDC flashlight - Thrunite T10 as a gift?

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
What is up guys, recently I have been thinking a lot, which flashlight to give my father as a birthday present. I have several flashlights, so I have good experience with various brands. One of them is the Thrunite T10 flashlight, which I think would be a perfect gift for him for several reasons:
- It uses common AA battery, small size
- Very affordable ~25$
- Only 3 modes
- Nice runtime on high-power
- 169 Lumens is bright enough for average everdy tasks
- It can tailstand and comes with a diffuser, so it can be used as a candle

Can you recommend better EDC flashlight for elder ones, based on these pros?
Here is a review which I just did about my T10 to help you judge (come back to the channel later, for some other reviews!)

Let's hear your opinions! :)

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Review! Very thorough, and seems like a very good choice for a clicky single AA. The L3 Illumination L11C is in a similar clickie category, and is available in N219 (a personal preference). I Like that the T10 has mode memory, as the firefly mode is only useful in a minority of situations, and having it come on first, as in the L11C, means the user will need to click more than once. For this reason I favor lights that come on in a higher than 1 lumen mode first, when gifting non flashoholics. Im a very big fan of the Olight i3s for this reason, but, its not a clickie, not AA and not as bright as the T10.

There is a significant difference in size and weight between a single AAA and single AA, the latter is more suited to pocket carry, the former can be keychain carried.

The T10 pocket clip is secured with screws, the one on the Olight can pop off unless you superglue it. The T10 can not be used as a cap light, the clip is not reversible, and the light is heavier than the Olight, which makes a GREAT cap light thanks to the reversible clip.

I think you found a very practical AA light with clickie for a gift, the mode memory makes it very practical.

If you like clickies and want an AAA option, this might work Lumintop TOOL AAA

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Nice review xyadam, and it hits home for me as my elderly father has asked me for simple to use light as well. This one was not on my list, but I think it needs to be now!!

LedTed

Enlightened
I got the TN T10 for the production floor. So, a varied populous has used these for several months. From day one, the people on the floor preferred the TN T10s over their old 2 X AA incandescent Mini MagLites.

Personally I have gifted one of each; the TN T10 and the L3 Illumination L10C. Both were well received and appreciated.

All flashlights had the XP-G2, R5 LED.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Thrunites they are certainly good values, and 90% of my collection are moonlight mode lights, but I wouldn't give a T10 to an elderly person.

Moonlights seem to be an acquired taste that may not appeal to a non-flashaholic, and the elderly don't see as well in the dark. Then TN likes 100x+ mode spacing so the next mode at 20lms gets pretty bright, glaring, with short runtime, for close task work indoors (most likely use).

Personally, I'd recommend a D25A Ti N219 or NW XML2 on clearance for $40 from Illumn. Program it for 3/20/75 lms, and advise him "short half-press for brighter/long half-press for dimmer" and he'll never reach the blinkies. You can get the black version for even cheaper, but the Ti's male head has the advantage of being able to be easily rigged as a C or D cell lantern... great power outage option.

Anyways, just my $0.02.

blown04gt

Newly Enlightened
Great review and very helpful. I have been looking at these on amazon and wondering if they're worth it. For limited daily use it seems to be a great option.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! Im actually going to strongly suggest a Coast HP7. Idk where you are in the world but almost any Home Depot or Lowes stocks them. The new 360 lumen Pro model is whats mostly stocked now though. I suggest the HP7 for the elderly gentleman for a couple very specific reasons. First is the HP7's easy to feel and use variable spot to flood beam which I believe an elderly gentleman may find useful. Second is the HP7's BIG squishy tail switch. Easy as pie to feel for and find in the dark. It still takes AAA's though strongly suggest Energizer lithiums its what Ive got in mine and they crank to the fullest till they flat out die. Ive had 3 HP7's. No they are not the latest and greatest Cree this or that but they are bright, have a medium mode and their variable focus system is easily used one handed pulling or pushing the head back and forth by a large rounded easy to feel and find in the dark and easy on arthritic hands

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a Microstream will be tough to beat,puns intended all the way around too!

What is more simple than a single speed forward clicky that can take a beating a slide into any pocket?

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. You covered the ThruNite T10 quite well.

There is only one thing I saw that needs correction. You say the T10 uses the Cree XP-G. Of course, you meant XP-G2. You can easily add an annotation to correct this.

It may also be worth pointing out that the specs you mention are the ones published by ThruNite. You have not measured to confirm them. For output levels and runtimes, I favor a graphic rather than a slow reading of the numbers. With a table displayed on-screen, you could then read through it quickly.

When the T10 is on, there is a third way to change modes. You can twist off and back on, i.e., the T10 can be used as a twisty.

The neutral-white version of the T10 is available again. You may want to add an annotation explaining that. Neutral-white is probably the one I would give as a gift. The L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B is a similar light that would also be on my short list.

Is the diffuser only for use a candle? How does it perform when the T10 is pointing forward?

As far as gifts go, I agree with the comments above regarding complexity. Some in my family would hate having to run through all modes to get to high. All they know about flashlights is on/off. For them, half-presses are a hassle. Others, of course, are tinkerers and gadget freaks. They would love the extra modes. UI is not a problem for them. You have to gauge the recipient to decide about this.

The same is true regarding small buttons, arthritis, etc. For some that might be a problem. For others, not at all.