Tec 40 == Impact XL?

GerdK

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

i've just realised that the XL has got a PR base Luxeon LED in it. That raises a question about the similarities of the flashlights mentioned in the topic.

They are both 4AA and the reflector also looks similar to me. What about the bulb-holder and the switch? Are they similar, too? Is it possible to buy a Tec40 and replace the halogen bulb with a 6V PR Luxeon?
I could not find any pictures of a disassembled Tec 40. Do you know a web page where I can take a look inside this light (without buying one ;-)

thanks,
Gerd

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I run a home made PR based 1W Luxeon in my PT40 and it works great. There is not much heat disipation in the PT40, but if the Lux is not being over-driven it seems to do okay.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
IllumiGeek, how and where did you got the mod for your Tec40 to 1W Luxeon? What about run-time, how long do you estimate it'll run at nearly full power?

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I just kluged a "PR" base out of some metal dowel and drilled a hole for a resistor and glued and soldered it all together. It's pretty ugly, but it works. I used a 1W side emitter that must be pretty nicely binned (as it is one of the whitest I have seen to date).

Never measured the run time, but it goes a long time. I have it resistored to run off of rechargables, and even with some very old 1300mAh batteries it runs for hours.

Heat sinking is just the metal slug, so it's not too effective. It gets quite toasty after an extended run, but I have run it for long periods (from 30 minutes, to more than an hour) on several occasions and it seems no worse for the wear.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Great, thanks for the info, I'll see if I can pickup the Impact XL once that it comes to Canada. I kind of want a low light output but long lasting 4 AA light.