Aqua-Green Ledtronics FlashLED rated at 60,000mcd?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just ordered the 6-LED Aqua-Green FlashLED. It's my first LED flashlight and I'm so excited I can't see straight. I have been to Brock's reviews and Craig at the LED museum, but so far no one has actually documented a test of this light.

Apparently it uses 6 of Nichia's highest rated 10,000mcd blue-green LED's. I know the LED's are not overdriven at all but sheesh, at 60,000mcd that is almost 3 times the mcd rating of the Trek 7 Green in a package the size of mini-mag!

Has anyone out there actually seen this light in action?

Mahalo, Mike

Brock

Flashaholic
Actually Craig just sent his to me to look at. I generally don't post my finding on other colors or I would never have any time for all the lights. Anyway it is bright, I would say the lightwave 2000 green is about the same intensity, but the lightwave is overdriving 4 LED's. I like the FlashLED line becasue they don't overdrive their LED. I think almost everyone else does. But then again you get 2/3 the light from the same number of LED's if you aren't overdriving them. You also get a better power to light output ratio. In other words it is better to drive 6 LED's at 20ma each (120ma) and get the same light as 4 running at 50ma each (200ma), the LED's will last longer, and you will have a better battery life, and the light output is also much smoother.

The flashLED's are also smaller then most, about the size of a 2 AA mag and are well constructed, but they are more $. It is a good light no matter how you slice it.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Brock, for the quick and intellegent reply. Another reason I chose the FlashLED was because of all the accessories available for the mini-mag, some of which I already own. Most of them will probably work well with the FlashLED.

One other question I had was regarding the actual color of the beam. There a some pics that look more like a bright green/yellow (trek 7) and others that are more of a light blue or turquoise. Does the Aqua-Green resemble one or the other of those or does it fall into a category of its own?

Also, Craig mentioned somewhere on this board that changing the LED's in one of these FlashLEDs was relatively simple. I was wondering if "overdriving" one would be equally "simple?" On this same subject, do you think Lithium batteries would give this light a boost?

TIA, Mike

BTW, what constitutes a "junior member" and how long must I endure this hazing? :)

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Aloha Mike on 12-30-2000 at 06:49 PM</font>

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>BTW, what constitutes a "junior member" and how long must I endure this hazing? :)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It is set at 10 posts. After that magic number you become "Member". But I've added a custom status for you
grin.gif

I think I read on telephony's website that he overdriven a FlashLED with 3 N cells instead of 2 AA. I'll have to go check out his website again and see what the results were.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aloha Mike:
Apparently it uses 6 of Nichia's highest rated 10,000mcd blue-green LED's. I know the LED's are not overdriven at all but sheesh, at 60,000mcd that is almost 3 times the mcd rating of the Trek 7 Green in a package the size of mini-mag!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the Green Trek-7 (Expedition) is the daddy of all bright flashlights, and by a substantial margin.
Brock just lent me his to try, and I just about blew my eyes out of their sockets when I fired the thing up.

Now, the FlashLED underdrives its LEDs; so that 10,000mcd per-LED rating probably won't hold much water here.
I did measure the current at one time, and I forgot if the total draw was 60 or 100 milliamps using "N" cells.

This would work to somewhere between 10 and 15 (or so) mA per LED. The benefits here are that the LEDs will live full and productive lives, and battery life is extended substantially.

The LEDs in the so-called "green-aqua" model are in fact Nichia pure green; probably either NSPG505BS or NSPG510BS. These have a wavelength of 525nm which appears as a bright, true green to the eye.
Since the eye is most sensitive to wavelengths near this, this will probably appar to be the brightest of all LEDTronics flashlights, with the possible exception of white under some conditions.

Figure those green LEDs are producing somewhere around 6,000mcd apiece when driven in the manner this flashlight drives them.

I don't believe you can boost these; but if you're willing to violate the flashlight in a rather private area (ahem!) you can carefully remove the head and pull off the board to see if one of the leads has a resistor on it.
If present, short it out with a thin wire, and reassemble the flashlight. Using the small batteries that it does, this hack will probably give you 20% to 40% more light at best, and will do so at the expense of overall battery life.

In my samples, the 6-LED white model had a resistor, while the 3-LED green model did not.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, I gotta tell ya, this LED Flashlight thing is addictive as hell. I no sooner bought my first FlashLED then I had to email a change order from white to green. Then, as I kept reading those reviews from Brock and Craig I ordered two Infinity Task Lights for myself and a friend. Now, good grief, I'm eyeballing one o' those Trek 7's. Please, somebody stop me before I buy again. A mere three days ago I didn't know what a LED Flashlight was, nevermind a collector, now, I think I are one! In fact, when I first saw entire websites and message boards devoted to the subject I almost laughed out loud. Well I can tell you, after dreaming about LED flashlights and beam patterns etc, and anxiously waiting for my first 3 LED's ever to arrive in the mail, I ain't laughing now. (mumble, mumble) Worse than crack I tell you, gotta be worse than crack.

AM

HankS

Newly Enlightened
Ho, Braddah! Aloha Mike! Don let dis haoles talk stink to ya, make ya jr. member forever! Tell dis haole Wat doing? Momona okole!
grin.gif
You tell den you post mo, get mo better! K'den? Aloha, Braddah!
smile.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif

wishin I was there...

Hank

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ted, tell me what you want your custom scolling text to say. Within reason of course.

Aloha Mike, give the word and I'll take down the scrolling text or change it.

If anyone wants custom text under their title I can put it in. I can do html tags like bold, italic, underline, marquee, etc. I can also do: <table style="filter:glow(color=red, strength=1)">glow</table> and <table style="filter:shadow(color=red, strength=1)">shadow</table>
But glow and shadow are viewable only in MSIE right now.

Submit your requests <a href=http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000003.html>here</a>.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HankS:
...wishin I was there...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To bad these keyboards no make da kine pidgin buttons, eh? Ahhh, who needs keyboards anyway when we get plenny surfboards?

You might not want to be here right now. Kona's are starting to blow and it looks like rain coming to drown out our New Years party. This year the state legislature outlaws all but 5,000 firecrackers per person. And for that you need a $25 permit. Last couple of years we were stringing up rolls of 100,000. Makes for a kinder, gentler New Years, and a LOT easier on peoples dogs who always seem to run away that night.

So what's your favorite lite?

AM

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Aloha Mike on 12-31-2000 at 07:21 PM</font>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
BTW, what constitutes a "junior member" and how long must I endure this hazing? :)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It is set at 10 posts. After that magic number you become "Member". But I've added a custom status for you
grin.gif

...hey! it's true. I hadn't noticed. How long must I endure the humiliation of being a non-custom-scrolling member??"
mad.gif
"
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aloha Mike:

You might not want to be here right now. Kona's are starting to blow and it looks like rain coming to drown out our New Years party. This year the state legislature outlaws all but 5,000 firecrackers per person.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky, lucky you.
If I so much as touch the cherry of a cigarette to an itty bitty ladyfinger, I can either spend 1 year in prison or pay a $10,000.00 fine - whichever my income would allow for. Washington State has some pretty crappy laws regarding fireworks...
frown.gif

I don't dare even look up the penalty for discharging a M-80 or flushing a seal bomb down the toilet.

Anyway, our New Year's party was rain-free, and sitting at about 42°F.

In another forum, somebody encouraged me to stick a flashing red & blue light on my wheelchair - assuring me that *no* cop in his right mind would arrest me for impersonation of a police officer.

To that person, I must say **** ***!!!
I was stopped, given a breathalyzer (which I passed with 0.07%), and arrested for displaying "the illegal color" of light on my wheelchiar. So much for that.

LESSON LEARNED: Never, never, never ever display both red and blue LED lights visible from either front or back on any moving device - this includes bicycles, Razor scooters, automobiles, wheelchairs, skateboards, snowboards, or any other vehicle that can roll, float, or slide over any city-owned propery, like streets or sidewalks.
blush.gif

------------------

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by telephony on 01-01-2001 at 01:43 PM</font>

DaveH

Enlightened
Man that blows, starting a new thread, legal defense fund so to speak.

DaveH

D

**DONOTDELETE**

hey, if the swine who arrested you also wrote you the message in the forum to do it, -- that's entrapment!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted:
hey, if the swine who arrested you also wrote you the message in the forum to do it, -- that's entrapment!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kinda doubt the officers responsible are members in this forum. I just got the case dismissed, on account of it being just too silly and frivolous. This one can be tanked up to overzealous police, possibly attempting to reach a preset quotient for tickets issued. I have since retrieved and reinstalled the "offending" LED light, and haven't come across any more bad cops.

Anyway, with this behind us, let's get back to talking about flashlights.
smile.gif

My green FlashLED originally started out as a 3-LED model, but I have since added 3 aqua (blue-green) ones to the board. So this light emits a strange color that no other flashlight does, plus it looks really cool when you see the business end of it while it's on.
smile.gif

I also got a new white LED flashlight on New Year's Eve, which I may start a new topic about once I learn a little more about it.

------------------

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by telephony:

In another forum, somebody encouraged me to stick a flashing red & blue light on my wheelchair - assuring me that *no* cop in his right mind would arrest me for impersonation of a police officer.

To that person, I must say **** ***!!!
I was stopped, given a breathalyzer (which I passed with 0.07%), and arrested for displaying "the illegal color" of light on my wheelchiar. So much for that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig,

Holy F*&%$#! cow nuts! I can't believe what you just wrote! Are you serious!

I think I was the one who told you this. Now I feel like cat crap. I can't believe a cop would bust you for having this on a wheel chair! A bike or some other form of transportation, yes, but a wheel chair??! That cop must have woke on the wrong side of the century! I think you should be able to talk to the judge about this one and make the cop look like an idiot.

Man, I am sorry for suggesting this. I guess I deserve the middle finger. Back to my cave...