NiteCore MT21A vs Fenix E25 vs MagLite 2AA

lightpt

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys!
Those 3 lights look like good ones at my price range, which one do u think would be better for hunting?
Thanks!
Cheers

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
forget the Mag unless youre talking AA into D size adapters. Avoid the Nitecore it dates back to 2013 thus will likely have lots of issues. Fenix E25 dates back to 2012 but is still the best light of the 3 mentioned. Is this a light you intend to mount to a weapon? For the price range check out Convoy lights at Fasttech and MountainElectronics. For 30 bucks you get a custom built to your specs truly modern very well built light...there are MANY AA lights nowadays in many forms sizes and shapes. If you want to stick with AA I also strongly suggest going to the Thrunite website theyve got likely the best AA lights on the market and they are dirt cheap for the high quality they are. Thrunite currently offers 11(!!)top notch and cheap AA lights that are just on a higher level than what you mentioned...good luck

phosphor

Enlightened
The Nitecore is well built, and generally has good reviews everywhere. It's a long range "thrower", however; if that appeals to you I say go for it. The drawbacks ?.....on the user defined mode you have to cycle through strobe to change light levels and it can be annoying. As well, if you use the momentary feature without waiting three seconds between use you will advance to the next level. Low is only 15 lumens...the beam is too narrow and the 15 lumen low is too bright to read comfortably by. Did I say the MT21A throws a beam waaaaaay out there for a 2xAA light? It's impressive, but fairly narrow...meaning it doesn't light up a WIDE area. This light will not tail stand.

The Fenix is a great bargain as well; the burst mode can only be activated when holding down the mode button. If you can live without being able to "lock in" max, then perhaps the Fenix is the "best buy" as it is exceedingly well made and durable. The E25 has a narrow throw-beam pattern like the Nitecore. Too, this beam pattern is not ideal to use for reading. There is no "momentary on" tail switch for a "quick look" around on this Fenix model, and some owners find holding down the on-off button for several seconds before the light activates/de-activates annoying. Still, the E25 is a very robust light and the price is "right". This light will tail stand.

Both the Nitecore and Fenix come without a pocket clip or holster, but do include a lanyard.

I have no experience with the Mag Light.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally love the E25 (old and new version). It's such a good thrower and so compact for a 2aa light. It can also tailstand and everything is controlled from one switch which is nice. The light is only two pieces too so there are very few parts that can malfunction other than the electronics in the head of course.

Chaitanya

Banned
You might also want to consider the Thrunite Archer 2A v2 series of light. A friend of mine got it recently and it seems a little better than that Nitecore MT21A as far as UI is concerned.

phosphor

Enlightened
You might also want to consider the Thrunite Archer 2A v2 series of light. A friend of mine got it recently and it seems a little better than that Nitecore MT21A as far as UI is concerned.
...my only issue with the Archer V2 2A is the mode spacing. The .10 lumen moonlight setting is way too low. I consider that to not be useful at all in practical terms, and essentially a wasted level. From moonlight the next level up is about 20 lumens, then medium is about 80 lumens; high then jumps way up to about 450 lumens. I don't think the spacing is well thought out. But then again, the $30 price tag and impressive build quality are nothing to ignore, and I much prefer the Thurnite NW XP-G2 emitter to the XP-E used in the Nitecore and Fenix models referred to in the original post.

Last edited:

lightpt

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking to the Thrunite and there are some nice options with a good price...I guess I just need to look a bit more time around to choose what I want!

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you post that you want to use it for hunting.....it would help if you posted how you would be using the light in your hunting efforts.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...my only issue with the Archer V2 2A is the mode spacing. The .10 lumen moonlight setting is way too low. I consider that to not be useful at all in practical terms, and essentially a wasted level. From moonlight the next level up is about 20 lumens,...

Thrunite is a good value, but I also have the same issue with their typical 100-200x mode spacing between firefly and "low" - always stuck between too dim and too bright for task work with my hands. I personally like 10x mode spacing starting at ~0.3-0.4 lms. I imagine night vision preservation would also be important to a hunter.

Thrunite also seem into "specsmanship".... eg, the Archer 2A V2 17lm/96hr, or 800 lumen-hr per AA, is basically impossible with flat regulation (and their regulation is usually good). The Neutron claimed that once, but did eventually amend it to < half.

Chaitanya

Banned
Thrunite also offers Neutron 2A which has a different output spacing but the led on that is XM-L2. I like the spacing of Archer V2 as personally I like the output of around 50-100lumens range for my photography and trekking purposes.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both lights (MT21A and old E25 187 lumens)
Both are good lights.
Long time ago I made two reviews but are in Italian and I do not know if the translator is understandable.
MT21A: http://goo.gl/KKV01z
old E25: http://goo.gl/uoqEC8
I also made the photo and video comparison between the old E25 and MT21A.
Although Nitecore is more powerful (260 vs 187 lumens) the difference is small and hardly percebibile.
Be noted that the diffuser is available for the Nitecore MT21A in various colors, for Fenix not.
Regarding the Fenix E25 the old version is no longer in production (I hope the news is correct, I was informed by a seller)
Now it is on sale the new E25 260 lumens, it has light levels spaced differently and maximum power is only available clicking and holding the button (Burst)
I read many enthusiastic comments on this light, others do not.
However, it is a torch Fenix and I doubt it can give a disappointment

I recently bought the new Nitecore MT2A version 2015 (different led - 345 lumens) it throws a few meters in less but has a much wider beam, has become my favorite 2xAA.
Consider well the distance of use.

A photographic comparison of different types of LED (MT21A vs MT2A) you can find it here.
(at the bottom of the page)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?360784-Nitecore-MT2A-a-layman-s-review-Includes-pics-specifications-and-timelapse-video