Beamshots Added! My new EDC, Solarforce L2 with XHP50 drop in

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got my drop in in this morning from Mountain Electronics along with my 18350s and Nitecore D4. After charging the batteries and following Vinh's how to on wrapping the P60, I have gotten to use the light some, I love it!

First off the drop in is nicely made. LED is centered, potting is nice, and it doesn't feel sloppy made. The guppy firmware driver is awsome, it will be even nicer when I get a reverse clicky tail cap. The output is fantastic, I chose only 3 amps but I would say it is still close to 2k lumens (based on a crash test I saw) and compared to the other 1k lumen lights I have it walks all over them in output. It does have a slight donut hole due to the design of the XHP50 but with the orange peel reflector it isn't bad and only noticeable on white walls. I chose a 4000k tint XHP50 and love it, nice warm feel with good color rendering and it has made me hate the cool white of my other lights. Only issue, and I knew both of these before I bought the drop in, is lack of runtime due to heat and lack of battery capacity but it's not a deal breaker, that's what extra batteries and lower modes are for. Overall really happy with the set up and can't wait until it gets dark!

Parts list:
XHP50 J2 5A on DTP Copper MCPCB
QLITE 6V+ Zener Mod- For MT-G2/XHP
Efest 18350 V1 IMR 800Ah flat top batteries
Orange Peel P60 drop in
Solarforce L2 host

Here are a few pics of the light, beamshots in post 5!

Last edited:

bmwsancho

Newly Enlightened
Re: My new EDC, Solarforce L2 with XHP50 drop in

nice combination and a great drop-in. Do you like the finger-grip switch?

ven

Flashaholic

Nice set up:cool: would like a drop in like that. The one i get lots of use out of in work is my p1d (quite hefty and well made). That houses vinhs quad xp-g2 5000k drop in(CQvn). 4 mode but i use the lowest or 2nd lowest 90% of the time for a nice neutral flood.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

I like the finger grip for the extra control and it makes it simple to flip the light to the back of your hand so you can still carry, move, lift, etc. but it makes it hard to find a holster that will fit it. I have some kydex so I'm going to make a holster for it.

I like my XHP50 and went with it because it and the L2 made for a cheap but good first lithium light (Have always been a AA only guy) and let me figure out what I want but my next light will be another solarforce host with Vinh's new P60vnT. Triple 4000k XPL HI should make it over 3000 lumen and be able to run on one 18650. The only down side to my drop in is that being it's a 6 volt led I have to use two 18350s so I have short runtimes. I still carry my D25a2 in my pocket thought so I'm not worried about running out of light.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

To the admins: I realized after I uploaded the pics they are too big, I will fix it as soon as my photo bucket quits acting up and will load the editor.

Daytime Control

Night time Control

Mountain Electronics P60 XHP50 @ 3 amps

Fenix TK45

Eagletac SX25L2T w/ diffuser

Nitecore EA4W

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

:cool: pics tac, very impressive output...........like a compact flood light. Certainly puts out a lot of light for its size:D

bmwsancho

Newly Enlightened

what a cool light! Thanks for the beam shots. Once you get to know your new light it would be great to hear your experience in regards to runtime.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys and yes once I use it this week and know more on it I will post some rough runtimes.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been using the light the past couple of days for general use, mainly on the lower modes, but haven't used it continuously enough to get a good idea on runtimes. I'm really not sure if I will be able to get much in the way of data for runtimes for any mode higher than medium because I don't want to risk over heating the light.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

After using the light I can say it does a lot better on runtimes than I figured it would when I bought it. After probably a total of 40mins in turbo, spread across short uses, along with runs in lower modes sometimes 10mins or longer, battery voltage is usually still around 3.75V per cell. Last night I ran it in turbo while I was walking and was able to get about 5 mins until I had to step it down due to heat. I was holding the head in my hand and it was about a 60-65 degree night but after 5 mins it was just to hot to hold. The resting voltage afterwards was 3.75V.

I also can't suggest getting the guppy dry firmware enough. It is so handy on a light like this to be able to quickly switch between how you want the modes set. For instance I edc both this and a D25A2, the D25A2 is for general use requiring less lumens, the L2 for the bigger jobs and more lumens. I keep the L2 set so my modes are Turbo -> ML with no memory that way I always get 2K lumens immediately but have a lower mode if necessary. The other night when I was testing the runtime and it got to hot, I just reprogramed it right quick so that I had a few extra lower modes and kept on using it just fine. Afterwards I switched it back to Turbo -> ML.

Overall quite happy with the light and love the tint, it has made me dislike all my cool white lights that much more. The only complaint I do have is the more I have used the light the more I have realized how noticeable the donut hole is if you are shining the light on a flat surface such as a road, building, wall, etc. If you are shining it at vegetation, rocks, fences, anything that has uneven lines and surfaces its no big deal. I knew of this possibility though when I ordered it and am ok with it as it doesn't affect the usability of the light and the overall output makes up for it. I highly recommend Richard at Mountain Electronics and once I get a little money saved up I'm going to have a C8 built with an xhp50, OP reflector and a 6 amp driver that should put me over 3k lumens and give me more lux than my P60.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent. I have been waiting to see this for a while. How did I miss this when you originally posted it? Oh well. Thank you so much for the review. The L2 is so underrated as a host. I have several and I have been super impressed with the value.

As I was reading I was thinking, Seems like a hand burner after 5 minutes of Turbo?? Then, I read your last post. Spot on.

The tint looks perfect to me in the pics. I bet it is a tad warmer in person.

I want to order one, make sure I have this correct:
XHP50, 3 amps, 4k, OP

Could you explain the wrap job more too? Copper foil??
Anyways, Thanks for the review

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad I could be off assistance! I like my L2 really well, I was worried that once I started carrying and using it the finish would come off rather easy since it isn't an L2P but it has held up just as well as my lights that are HAIII. I plan to get an L2M and have a 5 amp XPL demoed built and run it off a single 18350 but a nice little pocket rocket with the option of being a full size light.

The tint is pretty accurate actually, maybe it is a bit warmer in person but if it is it isn't by so much it makes a huge difference. I like that when you look at vegetation it actually looks its color and not a wash out grey like cool white does.

Yes those are the correct parts and if you look on Richard's P60 page he has a link to Vinh's video on wrapping the drop in. I used the aluminum foil as Vinh directed but if you can find copper foil thin enough that would be even better.

You're welcome for the review, I'm glad I could contribute back to the forum and not just always be taking information lol.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome stuff - thanks for sharing, Tac Gunner!