Acebeam        

Thread: Going Gear.com - Olight S1 Baton 1x CR123/16340 XM-L2 500 Lumen Flashlight

Flashaholic

Default Going Gear.com - Olight S1 Baton 1x CR123/16340 XM-L2 500 Lumen Flashlight

The smallest side switch LED flashlight from Olight is here! Yes, it is even smaller than the popular S10/S10R. The Olight S1 Baton is crazy small at only 2.75 inches long. Although the light is tiny it can produce a beam distance of 110 meters and has a maximum output of 500 lumens! When you don’t want or need a ton of light, the S1 will go all the way down to 0.5 lumens on the lowest setting. Like the other Baton series lights, you have instant access to high, moonlight, and your memorized setting from off.

Instead of a standard reflector, the S1 has an optic that produces a very smooth, even beam, perfect for close to medium distance lighting of wide areas without the tunnel vision effect that a bright hotspot can give.

The S1 features an XM-L2 LED and is powered by a single CR123A or 16340 battery. The light has 3 modes and 2 special modes which include a strobe and a moonlight mode. There is a built-in timer that you can activate and let the light run for 3 or 10 minutes, perfect for getting ready in a tent, some nighttime reading, or any other task where you don’t want your light to be on indefinitely.

The side switch is made of recessed silicon surrounded by a metal bezel which keeps the light from accidentally turning on in your pocket. The switch ring and bezel on the front of the light are blue for a really cool look. The flashlight comes with a pocket clip, a hole for a lanyard and the signature Olight magnetic tail cap for convenience.

Olight S1 Baton

This Olight S1 Baton is in stock and ready to ship!

Last edited by GoingGear.com; 09-01-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Default Re: Going Gear.com - Olight S1 Baton 1x CR123/16340 XM-L2 500 Lumen Flashlight

That's crazy (in a good way). I thought the S10 was as about as small as it could get.

Default Re: Going Gear.com - Olight S1 Baton 1x CR123/16340 XM-L2 500 Lumen Flashlight

Need a quick beam shot?

Flashaholic*

I wonder if they plan to release an 18650 version?

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGear.com View Post

The side switch is made of recessed silicon surrounded by a metal bezel which keeps the light from accidentally turning on in your pocket.

I take your word for it, but when looking at this picture, the switch does not look like itīs so much recessed, at least not when compared to the recessed switch that the S10R has. So far, do you have any accidental activation with the S1?

Do you have a video review of the S1 in progress with outdoor beamshots? Hope to see it soon.
    LED: Olight I1 EOS,Olight S1,S1R,S2,S10R,S10RII,S15R,S20R,S30R,S30RII,S30R Javelot,Nitecore SRT7,Sunwayman V20C,Sunwayman R10A,FourSevens Atom AL,Fenix TK75 2015,Crelant CH10, and more

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
    I take your word for it, but when looking at this picture, the switch does not look like itīs so much recessed, at least not when compared to the recessed switch that the S10R has. So far, do you have any accidental activation with the S1?

Do you have a video review of the S1 in progress with outdoor beamshots? Hope to see it soon.
    The switch is siliconized rubber, so some accidental pressure in your pocket won't turn it on nearly as easily as the hard plastic ones. It does stick out a bit from the metal ring, but not so much that it will be an issue. I've had one in my pocket for about a week with no issues.

Yes, we're working on a video.

The switch is siliconized rubber, so some accidental pressure in your pocket won't turn it on nearly as easily as the hard plastic ones. It does stick out a bit from the metal ring, but not so much that it will be an issue. I've had one in my pocket for about a week with no issues.

Yes, we're working on a video.
    Thankīs for telling. However, i am not convinced that itīs free from possibility of accidental activation untill iīve seen the video review. If i understand it right, this light does not have any lock out mode?
    LED: Olight I1 EOS,Olight S1,S1R,S2,S10R,S10RII,S15R,S20R,S30R,S30RII,S30R Javelot,Nitecore SRT7,Sunwayman V20C,Sunwayman R10A,FourSevens Atom AL,Fenix TK75 2015,Crelant CH10, and more

Flashaholic

Thankīs for telling. However, i am not convinced that itīs free from possibility of accidental activation untill iīve seen the video review. If i understand it right, this light does not have any lock out mode?

No light is free from the possibility. It's just unlikely.

You can slightly loosen the tailcap to lock it out. I highly prefer that method over one built in to the interface because it truly breaks the connection.

I would love to see beamshot next to eb1

Any spot on the light to place some tritium so it can be found in the dark?
    Olight S1, EagleTac D25C Ti, 4/7s Mini MLX, 4/7s Mini MLR2, ITP A3 EOS, 4/7s Atom A0. Circa 2007: Orb Raw NS (UWOJ), VB-16 (4th), Fenix L1T 2, Liteflux LF2 (SSC P4), Fenix L0P-SE (SSC mod), Amilite Neo T5, Peak Caribbean, Jetbeam CL-E, Fenix L2P (CR2 mod), JIL CR2.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by onthebeam View Post

Not really.

I don't use a lanyard. Thus was thinking of sliding tritium inside the lanyard holes in the tail area.

Could that work? Need a width of 1.5 mm.
    Olight S1, EagleTac D25C Ti, 4/7s Mini MLX, 4/7s Mini MLR2, ITP A3 EOS, 4/7s Atom A0. Circa 2007: Orb Raw NS (UWOJ), VB-16 (4th), Fenix L1T 2, Liteflux LF2 (SSC P4), Fenix L0P-SE (SSC mod), Amilite Neo T5, Peak Caribbean, Jetbeam CL-E, Fenix L2P (CR2 mod), JIL CR2.

Flashaholic

I don't use a lanyard. Thus was thinking of sliding tritium inside the lanyard holes in the tail area.

Could that work? Need a width of 1.5 mm.
    Yeah, you could probably pull that off. I can't get my calipers in there to verify, but it looks like there might be enough room. Could probably drill out a little more space if you need it.

Flashaholic

Hopefully this gives you a better idea of how much it has to be depressed before activating. It's the least likely switch out of all their versions to accidentally activate, in my opinion.

Hopefully this gives you a better idea of how much it has to be depressed before activating. It's the least likely switch out of all their versions to accidentally activate, in my opinion.

The button on the S10R is even more recessed than this one, but you convince me enough to buy one. I am going to wear this light in my working pants at work where i bump in to things everyday and thatīs why i care about potential accidental activations. However, by judging from the picture it looks promising. I am looking forward to see the video review of the S1.

Flashaholic

The button on the S10R is even more recessed than this one, but you convince me enough to buy one. I am going to wear this light in my working pants at work where i bump in to things everyday and thatīs why i care about potential accidental activations. However, by judging from the picture it looks promising. I am looking forward to see the video review of the S1.
    For what it's worth, I've had the S1 and a Nitecore EC11 in my pocket for a few weeks and the EC11 is constantly turning on by itself. S1 has never turned on accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by 880arm View Post
    That's crazy (in a good way). I thought the S10 was as about as small as it could get.
    I've got one acronym for you: TIR

It costs way more for a manufacturer to develop it than a reflector. Kudos to Olight.

(If I'm not incorrect...the answer for shaving length off any LED torch.).

Look at the Fenix e15 for another example of a shortest in class light (twisty). Unfortunately it has a plastic lens that scratched up when on keychain and it's limited to 170 lumens....sorry for the digression.

This S1 is very nice. I do plan to get one!!!
    Maratac Rev. 3 in stainless aaa, Nitecore: MH20vn, MT10A, Fenix: HL55, LD20, e15, and more on the way.

For what it's worth, I've had the S1 and a Nitecore EC11 in my pocket for a few weeks and the EC11 is constantly turning on by itself. S1 has never turned on accidentally.

Today i received my S30R II, and if i understand it correctly it has the same side switch as the S1. The feeling of it is better than i thought, but it is still a little protruding.

I will do further tests both on the S30R II and the on the S1 when i receive it.

I held up my Titanium S10 next to my finger and it looks just like that comparison picture with the S1. Does that guy (hopefully not Marshal :P ) have small hands? Can you give a reference next to a common object, like a AA battery or dollar bill?

Northern, I think it has more to do with how far you have to press the rubber in to activate the button. The ring has a height and the button has a height, but as long as the depression of the button where it activates is lower than the ring, it shouldn't get activated.
    "For every good deed, there is an equal an opposite bad deed."

Quote Originally Posted by divine View Post
    I held up my Titanium S10 next to my finger and it looks just like that comparison picture with the S1. Does that guy (hopefully not Marshal :P ) have small hands? Can you give a reference next to a common object, like a AA battery or dollar bill?

Northern, I think it has more to do with how far you have to press the rubber in to activate the button. The ring has a height and the button has a height, but as long as the depression of the button where it activates is lower than the ring, it shouldn't get activated.
    Well, since i now have purchased the light i can give you a comparison picture.

To the left is the S10R and to the right is the S1 in comparison to a matchbox.

Iīve been testing the light for some days now and so far no accidental activation has occurred, but i still like the button on the S10R more over the S1.

Flashaholic

On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.

20150923_174056.jpg

Size comparison
    -I am no law abiding citizen. I am merely not a lawbreaker.
    -Guilty until proven innocent.
    -If it can be conceived by humans, then it can be unravelled by humans.

On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.

20150923_174056.jpg

Size comparison
    -I am no law abiding citizen. I am merely not a lawbreaker.
    -Guilty until proven innocent.
    -If it can be conceived by humans, then it can be unravelled by humans.

My wife put 2 green 1.5mm x 6mm tritium vials in the split ring hole on hers.
    I'll post pictures tonight.
    I'm thinking of putting 2 ice blue vials in my polished titanium.
    Last edited by RGRAY; 11-19-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: my thought

Great idea! I'd love to see pics.

Friction fit? Epoxied in? Superglue?
    Last edited by MasterBlaster; 11-20-2015 at 02:11 PM.

I have purchased this light recently, and I think the one I received may be faulty. Can someone tell me if this behaviour is normal for S1 Baton:
    1. I set it to a high mode (not by shortcut, but by regular cycling through the modes)
    2. I switch it off. A minute later I turn it on, high mode comes back - it is correctly memorized.
    3. I switch it off again. Half an hour later, I switch it on, low mode comes on (or maybe medium, but definitely not high, that should have been memorized)

This behaviour is repeatable 100% of the time. The mode is only memorized for a very short period of time. If you keep the light off a bit longer, the memorized mode is gone. The S10 baton that I also have, doesn't have this problem. The memorized mode comes on correctly hours, or even days after switching the light off.

Enlightened

The light only has a memory mode for low, medium, and high. If you turn the light off on high and it has been longer than 10 minutes then it will be on low when you turn it back on. This is a safety feature we implemented.
    (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by Dimethyl View Post
    Thank you for finding that. I've never seen that mentioned in any of the reviews for this light - or I haven't been paying enough attention. That's a bit of an unfortunate feature to be honest. The kind of thing where the device is too smart for its own good. But reading that they see it as a safety feature, I guess there's no way to defeat it. I can kind of understand why though - the S1 gets pretty hot when running continuously on high mode, even while holding it. In comparison, S10 only gets slightly warm.

Ah, I just read that they've changed the UI in the recent batch. Mine is definitely a new UI, as it doesn't have a memory for the moonlight mode. Looks like this 10 minute high mode memory reset feature is part of this new UI also. In that case I can try buying another light, hoping it would be from an older batch. Then again. double clicking for high is not a big deal.
    Last edited by Marconelly; 11-29-2015 at 11:28 PM.