Thrunite TN15 Fails AK-47 Weapon light test.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
not surprised. Not meant to be a weapon light. TN11S V2 seems tough as a hammer then again I dont have an AK to bolt it to. That being said Ive seen many folks simply bolt PD35's to whatever long gun and have no problems at all...its a strange flashlight world. Would the result have been different had you used 123's?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a bummer but as you said, that's why you test gear. Have tried seeing if thrunite will warranty it? Also which model is it, the TN15 or TN11S V2, both are listed in your title and OP.

My other concern here is that I never saw a back up light come into play? You are a member of CPF and your rifle light quite working, there should have been a back up light be pulled from your pocket and the shooting continued lol. I thought most people on here knew to never have just one light lol.

StriderSMF

Newly Enlightened
That's a bummer but as you said, that's why you test gear. Have tried seeing if thrunite will warranty it? Also which model is it, the TN15 or TN11S V2, both are listed in your title and OP.

My other concern here is that I never saw a back up light come into play? You are a member of CPF and your rifle light quite working, there should have been a back up light be pulled from your pocket and the shooting continued lol. I thought most people on here knew to never have just one light lol.
[h=2][/h]It was the TN15 and thats not me in the video.

Illum

Flashaholic
Got a feeling the battery resembled a deadweight jackhammer in there transferring all the reciprocating motion against the PCB thats sitting on top of it.

StriderSMF

Newly Enlightened
My apologies I thought it was your video

Its all good im just worried about my new Thrunite ha, I really hope they improve their stuff my tailcap spring on my TN11S V2 was bent to the side a little bit so i emailed them and they sent me a new one but that too was also bent a little to the side but it works perfectly fine for now we shall see, the tailcap spring also looks very wimpy compared to my old Klarus XT11 tailcap spring.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
not surprised. Not meant to be a weapon light. TN11S V2 seems tough as a hammer then again I dont have an AK to bolt it to. That being said Ive seen many folks simply bolt PD35's to whatever long gun and have no problems at all...its a strange flashlight world. Would the result have been different had you used 123's?

And yet it's sold with a pressure pad? What the heck type of light is this supposed to be? It's literally billed as a weapon light on their site saying you can easily mount it on a shotgun. I am fine with TN being a bit cheaper and NOT saying their lights are weapon lights. But if you specifically do and then they fail this easily that truly is failure. It could be an absolute fluke, and Jeff (cutlerylover on YT) just got a bad copy, but maybe not.

Granted an AK is pretty hard hitting and vibrating, but so is a shotgun. Is this strictly a .22 rifle light lol?

Again, this could just be a fluke, but cutlerylover is a Youtuber I actually respect as he keeps it real if something works or doesn't and he knows to check the basic things to see if it's working or not. He'll probably make an update video on this.

Last edited:

Raysbeam

Enlightened
I find Thrunite's springs are to stiff and destroy batteries just dropping them let alone use them as a weapon light, Thrunite needs something like Foursevens shock isolated battery compartment.

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
My second Tn11s v2 is on the fritz. The tail cap switch seems like the weak point. the first one started flickering and not turning on half the time about a month in. I made sure everything was tight in there, but there was no fixing it. The second tn 11s v2 has just starting to do the same exact thing. Both are hardly used and never dropped once. Both failed at the tail cap switch. When I first got the light it seemed so solid I felt like it would hold up to a lot, but it turned out to be the least reliable light I've owned. To add insult to injury when I pulled the light out of the holster and the little white rubber switch cover came off. I'm also on my second tn12 2014. The first was DOA. Flickering and not turning on right out of the box. I've tried thrunite 3400 batteries, olight 3400s, and also tenergy 2600s so it's no battery issues. It makes me sad because I love how thrunite offers neutral white on most every light and at good prices, but if you can't rely on the light then none of that matters. So I'm not surprised that a thrunite tn15 failed as a weapon light. I'm actually surprised it latest as long as it did on that test.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
K hold your hats people... this isn't over. I just got a reply from Jeff on that video that the light is in fact still working and he figured out what the problem was. He didn't say what the problem was, but he has another video coming on the matter. Maybe the midsection of the light was loose or something? Since it's a 2 section light? Who knows. We'll have to see what the problem was. So in short this light might still be fine as a weapon light even though everyone was losing their lunch on that video.

LOL in the comments of that video there were already the SF guys saying "SEE SEE... this is why you only buy SF!!! Everything else stinks!"

Last edited:

StriderSMF

Newly Enlightened
K hold your hats people... this isn't over. I just got a reply from Jeff on that video that the light is in fact still working and he figured out what the problem was. He didn't say what the problem was, but he has another video coming on the matter. Maybe the midsection of the light was loose or something? Since it's a 2 section light? Who knows. We'll have to see what the problem was. So in short this light might still be fine as a weapon light even though everyone was losing their lunch on that video.

LOL in the comments of that video there were already the SF guys saying "SEE SEE... this is why you only buy SF!!! Everything else stinks!"

cool cant wait to see it lol at the surefire guys,you know whats funny is more than half of those guys probably don't even own a surefire.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not that I think SF is bad. I own a G2X pro and it's great. It's the arrogance that no other lights could possibly be a weapon light. All lights can fail and lots of lights these days can be used as weapon lights if need be.

If you are in military or something definitely go for a very proven light like maybe a SF (they have government contracts anyway, right?), but otherwise there are lots of options that also work very well.

Last edited:

Latest posts