Time for a flooder.

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened
Greetings. Interested in any suggestions for a flood specific light. A search shows nothing for recent lights.
I have the newest Olight M3XS Javelot that covers my throw needs, and the new TM16 that covers both
throw and flood evenly. I was thinking about the Olight Mini Intimidator. Would this fill my gap?
Is there a better choice? Or maybe something with a very small hot spot.

Thanks for any feedback.

For reference I have: Fenix LD02, Nitecore MT06, Nitecore EA11, Zebralight SC5w, Jetbeam WL-S2 and the S1 tube.
Older lights, Jetbeam Jet III M, Jetbeam BC 25, Jetbeam PC25. And the two mentioned above.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight Mini would certainly be a good choice, given that the lens is slightly diffused to make it more floody. Another choice would be the Nitecore TM06, a lot of light, moderate throw, and fantastic bright spill.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TM16 and yes, it's a great light but what do you have against it as a flooder?

Your above is confusing as you ask about "a very small hot spot.", yet write that you have your "throw need" covered. ??? You leave me feeling like I don't know if I'm coming or going.

My experience is very limited. I have a mix of twelve plus lights. I'm currently a bit of a Nitecore fanboy. What will you use the lights for?

Currently I use a mix of lights for night walking: TM16, EC4 and a headlamp in the form of a HC90. I can't see why I would need more, other than to buy more like a ThruNite TN32 for a thrower. Adding a Nitecore MH20 for EDC would be cool also.

Again, what will you use the light for? Do you have a budget in mind?

Last edited:

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened
LOL...like the rest of my lights...for fun, most of the time. :nana:

But seriously, the pattern of the Olight Intimidator comes close to what I want for a flood.

Thanks and will look at the TM06. ;)

Again, what will you use the light for? Do you have a budget in mind?

chumley

Enlightened
Hi keithallenlaw, you could get the Olight 60mm white diffusion filter for $15.00 that will fit your M3X Javelot. That should give you a flood like the SR Mini, of course the flashlight will be a lot bigger than the Mini. I have the SR Mini and it is really compact for the amount of light it puts out. I use the diffusion filter on the SR 52 Intimidator, that way I have a good thrower and flooder and I don't have to carry 2 lights.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL...like the rest of my lights...for fun, most of the time. :nana:

If no budget and for fun, check out a NiteCore TM36. A bit pricey but I have yet to read of a light with more CD. It's greater than 300k cd.

511lmDd5BiL.jpg

Last edited:

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened
This may be a great option! :rock:

Actually, I love the feel of my M3XS Javelot. I have small hands.

Hi keithallenlaw, you could get the Olight 60mm white diffusion filter for $15.00 that will fit your M3X Javelot. That should give you a flood like the SR Mini, of course the flashlight will be a lot bigger than the Mini. I have the SR Mini and it is really compact for the amount of light it puts out. I use the diffusion filter on the SR 52 Intimidator, that way I have a good thrower and flooder and I don't have to carry 2 lights.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite flooder: Niwalker Nova MiniMax MM15. Tons of lovely, white, creamy flood. I love mine; it is a true classic. Vinh54 code names it "Noah", for very good reason.

Also, you may wish to consider the Thrunite TN36 which is very floody; and the several available flavors of the Noctigon Meteor M43. I selected a Meteor flavor with a bit more throw and a bit less white tint.

The soon to arrive TN36 in 3 x XHP-70 should be the bomb in power flooders, especially if boosted by Vinh.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to get a little cynical here - any of the multitude of 'shower head' cheap lights one can find in checkout lanes, etc., would be by definition floody. With multiple LEDs, with little or no reflector, that is all they can be. If they are three AA or AAA, then they are probably direct drive as well, and will gradually dim and the cells wear out. But they are floody as all get out.

ven

Flashaholic
My favorite flooder: Niwalker Nova MiniMax MM15. Tons of lovely, white, creamy flood. I love mine; it is a true classic. Vinh54 code names it "Noah", for very good reason.

Also, you may wish to consider the Thrunite TN36 which is very floody; and the several available flavors of the Noctigon Meteor M43. I selected a Meteor flavor with a bit more throw and a bit less white tint.

The soon to arrive TN36 in 3 x XHP-70 should be the bomb in power flooders, especially if boosted by Vinh.

+1

Not in any specific order , i would check these lights out for sure
mm15vn- 7300 OTF lm or mm15vnM for photography uses
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?381409-WTS-MM15vn-Noah
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...M15vnM-Videography-amp-Photography-Mule-Light
tn36vn-8500/8000 OTF lm
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?393737-TN36vn-Brightest-Pop-Can-Light
srminiVN-3500 LED lm
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?385627-WTS-MiniVN-Excellent-Budget-Flooder
tm06vn-4300 OTF lm
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?394462-TM06vn-True-Tiny-Monster-MUST-HAVE!
mm18vn-7600 OTF lm
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403577-MM18vn-Pop-Can-King

Would go with a vinh light for several reasons,from improving internally ,heat sinking,wires,LED swaps and current bumps.

If i had to pick one then it would be..............:thinking:

:laughing:

keithallenlaw

Newly Enlightened
Out of these would the mini have the most flood? Kinda leaning toward that one, a v54 mod of coarse.

+1

Not in any specific order , i would check these lights out for sure
mm15vn- 7300 OTF lm or mm15vnM for photography uses
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?381409-WTS-MM15vn-Noah
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...M15vnM-Videography-amp-Photography-Mule-Light
tn36vn-8500/8000 OTF lm
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?393737-TN36vn-Brightest-Pop-Can-Light
srminiVN-3500 LED lm
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?385627-WTS-MiniVN-Excellent-Budget-Flooder
tm06vn-4300 OTF lm
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?394462-TM06vn-True-Tiny-Monster-MUST-HAVE!
mm18vn-7600 OTF lm
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403577-MM18vn-Pop-Can-King

Would go with a vinh light for several reasons,from improving internally ,heat sinking,wires,LED swaps and current bumps.

If i had to pick one then it would be..............:thinking:

:laughing:

ven

Flashaholic
The mini imo is a great little light,kind of a go to flood light for ease of use(for me anyway). Only 3 levels though,lowest is around 400lm(higher than olights spec) so no real low which would be handy. Can lock out nice and easy with an 1/8th turn of tail cap. Just feels a nice size in hand,comfortable,well made if makes sense. Only other note would be the turbo mode(2800/3500 of vinhs) by pressing and holding for a "burst". Now for me it is no issue as i quite like the burst and revert back to the mode you were on previous. So for a quick blast press/hold then release for low/med/high(what ever you are on prior to turbo).

Flood wise,yes very floody with the frosted lens and enough "throw" for most general uses(again for me).

Pic next to the mm15vn for size/s
Triple quad/tn36vn/mm15vn/tm06vn/miniVN/quad pd35vn

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I can't make heads or tails out of any of the links posted as there doesn't seem to be any usable organization to the posted links. If I were to use the information, I wouldn't be able to figure out who makes the best flooder or the best thrower in the lot.

Vinh, being a popular skilled modder, his efforts being set aside, if going with commercially available retail lights, what contemporary (unmodified) light would hands down, qualify as the best flooder and/or the best thrower? My question is intended to encompass contemporary lights of a retail nature, not uber modified or expensive lights.

In my case, for a thrower, the Nitecore TM36 and the ThruNite TN32 are looking might sweet. But with the long battery filled handle, the TM36 is looking both a bit large and pricey. Both lights, being lasers in nature, lack balance of spill. Other than the recently released NiteCore TM16, I wouldn't know which manufactured light qualifies as the best flooder. Of course, when I discuss subject matter of this type, size, price, battery choice, output as well as look/feel are the deciding factors.

An aside, after two or three hundred yards, even if well lit, objects are smaller and smaller to the point that I'm not able to readily take advantage of the extended light beam because what I'm seeing is just too gosh darn small.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Every link has a manufacturer link to the light.....easy:) an mm15vn is an mm15....a tm06vn is a tm06......

No such thing as the best as all subjective, hence several links to what imo are good flooders.

Prices are not that much more than buying from a shop(well in the UK anyway) and have piece of mind from improvements where in a lot of cases manufacturers cut corners......not to mention if you do have an issue vinhs customer service is 2nd to none(no weeks....months of wait sending back to China ).

Each to their own, however once you have a vinh light or two it all becomes very clear :)

You named two throwers....how is that of any help?

:)

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
You named two throwers....how is that of any help:)

Reading what I wrote, I commented "In my case....." A person is always welcome to add what they find in their case and in your case, you seem to prefer lights that are modified by Vinh as opposed to lights that are stock retail.

Also, when hustling YouTube, personally I see glaring weaknesses in throwers and I find, from my perspective, eventually throwers get winnowed down to the TM36 and the TN32. But again, that's "In my case." or my opinion. In the case of the TM16, I haven't found a flooder that qualifies on all the bullet points that I earlier listed. That's not to say there aren't better flooders, it's just to say that I haven't found them and I'm open to non-modified flooder recommendations.

I appreciate your efforts to link each of the lights but the linked light, in my case, I didn't find the information laid out in a useful format. You know what you're wanting to share, I don't. In my conversation, I also wanted to make the point that I was purposefully leaving out modified lights by Vinh when I wrote: "Vinh, being a popular skilled modder, his efforts being set aside,..."

My apologies that you find my efforts at communicating via the written medium, so poorly done.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm OK with stock lights, they are my point of reference too.
The numbers we get from respected reviewers here are good enough for my old mind to work with, run times, lumen output etc.
The OEM are building some nice wares these days, massaging them is nice though there is something to be said for just plain Jane stock too.
With normal plane Jane batteries that don't have to be within a certain spec to qualify to fire light, some OEM are pushing that limit now and request a certain cell, they carry and it is available somewhat to many later to add into fray of back up cells.

It's like they turn into proprietary driven lights that have little room for fudging on cells or run times, also no unattended usage basically means they are solo use lights.
I don't want to separate my lights so that family don't grab wrong one in a pinch, ain't got time for that.
I suspect many light hearted flashaholic don't either, too many details ruins fun for some, like myself.

This is just my two cents, it's also why I stick to mostly single Cell lights and enjoy the freedom of no extra details needed to keep in driven mode, and enjoy using the light anytime.

Jmtc, no offence to modders.
I've become happy with a stock OEM car too, hot rod days are past.

ven

Flashaholic
My apologies if not easy to read , please let me know what would be better .:)

I did try with a couple of pics to show some of the lights named with a title in order from left-right.

Point taken with modded lights,sure it's just a suggestion that is all:) Having bought many standard lights(still do in some cases) I much prefer vinhs for many reasons I mentioned. That's why I recommended his lights and I am sure Keith will discount them if not suitable.

I feel some times manufacturers are lacking in QC and other areas.......I feel vinh puts some of these issues to bed!

Just my opinion,not saying I am right/wrong :thumbsup:

Down to 2 flooders then ,the mini and mm15 ,the former to be aware of no proper low mode and a burst turbo (press and hold). Is high mode enough for you?
The mm15 gets warm quick, can not run on turbo for long periods so for longer uses high mode(L5) 2000lm give/take would be used.

If I had to pick one it would be the mm15 with the mtg2 led......love the 5000k tint of flood . Cosmetic side I love the mat black finish ,but bin the handle :laughing:

regards :)

Ps-Nightmare typing on an iPad ,amount of wrong words/auto incorrect :laughing:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope no one is offended by my post, I had a hard time putting that into any wording.
Being on a tablet too, mix in poor and lazily spoken English and I'm train wreck at best if times to understand.
Anyhow, have a great one, I just want to say, love modded, but can only afford to use stock at my age. ☺👍